Demonic_angel

Vista

28 posts in this topic

It about a month or two I'm gonna get a new laptop and am beginning to have doubts about Vista. Is it really that bad? I have a friend who is using Vista Home and said after he turned off alot of the annoying popups and some of the restrictions, it runs very fast (a gig or more ram and dual core processor, intell i think) and is more user friendly than people believe.

So, if anyone has messed with Vista for longer than a couple of min, I would like to know what you think. Is it worth the headaches or is it better just to stick with XP on a Dual Core, which is what I plan to get.

Thankx for the Advice.

Where? I searched for Vista and other junk on the search bar but all found where the need help with Vista app and stuff like that.

Where?

I believe THIS is the thread he is referring to.

-Dr^ZigMan

If you have at least a Dual Core an 2 gigs of memory you will like Vista.. Remeber it takes some getting used to like when people got off 98se/ME.. There are some slowdowns in start up and shutdown, and as your friend did.. There is some modifications and settings changes that will make your experience better.. But where it shines at is Media Center/ HD style support.. Where it really sucks at is TWAIN Scanner/Printer user face.. To which I honestly blame more on third party not yet getting the hang of quite nailing good driver support in that arena..

I think most people get into the Xp vs Vista debate is that unlike XP upgrading from 98.. Vista really needs to be built around a new computer.. And Vista is more optimized for handling Dual Core/Core2/Quad processing, the reason however you need at least 2 gigs of ram is that apps are more resident in memory than on XP, which can be an annoyance at times..

If you have at least a Dual Core an 2 gigs of memory you will like Vista.. Remeber it takes some getting used to like when people got off 98se/ME.. There are some slowdowns in start up and shutdown, and as your friend did.. There is some modifications and settings changes that will make your experience better.. But where it shines at is Media Center/ HD style support.. Where it really sucks at is TWAIN Scanner/Printer user face.. To which I honestly blame more on third party not yet getting the hang of quite nailing good driver support in that arena..

I think most people get into the Xp vs Vista debate is that unlike XP upgrading from 98.. Vista really needs to be built around a new computer.. And Vista is more optimized for handling Dual Core/Core2/Quad processing, the reason however you need at least 2 gigs of ram is that apps are more resident in memory than on XP, which can be an annoyance at times..

The reality of that however also goes on two parts. One being that the interface is MUCH more complicated graphically than its older brother XP. While I am not a fan per say of Vista, I do believe that it suffers much of the same issues that XP had to go through when it first came out. Those of us who active in the OS world can remember how much of a pain migrating things to XP from 98 and what massive complaints people had about DOS support (geez was it that long ago?). In the end, this too shall pass and Vista will get a good break in and hopefully those hardware / software related issues will be supported by developers making the initiative to fix what is wrong vs. complain about it or worse, avoid it.

It about a month or two I'm gonna get a new laptop and am beginning to have doubts about Vista. Is it really that bad? I have a friend who is using Vista Home and said after he turned off alot of the annoying popups and some of the restrictions, it runs very fast (a gig or more ram and dual core processor, intell i think) and is more user friendly than people believe.

So, if anyone has messed with Vista for longer than a couple of min, I would like to know what you think. Is it worth the headaches or is it better just to stick with XP on a Dual Core, which is what I plan to get.

Thankx for the Advice.

Let me tell you some thing. I bought me a dell laptop with Vista on. After 2 days I turn off a lot of service also. Now I have Vista and Fedora running on it. I have a dual boot machine. So far Vista has been running fine. there are a lot of cool sites on how to customize it and good tools for security audits and other stuff. it all depends what your going to use it for.

Good luck and try it....

Ive been running Vista for a while now, usually its fine, nice and smooth. However occasionally it will decide to spaz out. By that i mean things like explorer.exe will stop working and I am forced to kill the process and start it back up again. Not a big issue but really annoying when your in the middle of something.

I was in front of the choice between switching to Vista or Ubuntu I went with Ubuntu.

For one thing which is that Vista is a digital manhole, with all it's shit inside.

Many of my friends get new Laptops shipped with Vista Home Basic or Premium they've a lot of errors which we work to solve till they take the decision of downgrading to XP or (by my persuading) switch to Ubuntu :D

All the pluses of Windows is that it runs .EXE nothing more, I was using Windows since Windows 95 till my switch to Ubuntu since very short time

I begin to get used to it the only thing I really miss from Windows is Sony Vegas or any other good Non-linear video editing software (Anyone know any for Ubuntu?), Wine just works very fine with any other EXE.

So I got the Security, reliabilty & speed of GNU/Linux with the few EXEs I use which is (in my view) far more better than using the digital manhole.

Finally it's a matter of freedom every one is free to choose. Unfortunately, Vista lack this freedom.

Edited by MaRo

I was in front of the choice between switching to Vista or Ubuntu I went with Ubuntu.

For one thing which is that Vista is a digital manhole, with all it's shit inside.

Many of my friends get new Laptops shipped with Vista Home Basic or Premium they've a lot of errors which we work to solve till they take the decision of downgrading to XP or (by my persuading) switch to Ubuntu :D

All the pluses of Windows is that it runs .EXE nothing more, I was using Windows since Windows 95 till my switch to Ubuntu since very short time

I begin to get used to it the only thing I really miss from Windows is Sony Vegas or any other good Non-linear video editing software (Anyone know any for Ubuntu?), Wine just works very fine with any other EXE.

So I got the Security, reliabilty & speed of GNU/Linux with the few EXEs I use which is (in my view) far more better than using the digital manhole.

Finally it's a matter of freedom every one is free to choose. Unfortunately, Vista lack this freedom.

Well you should of got it with Vista... Then you should of loaded Ubuntu as a dual boot. Now it will be harder for you if you ever want MS OS.... At least you got linux on your laptop.

Thanks for the replies and the link to other thread. I have another question and just though i would ask it here instead of another thread.

I am going to try linux first (my friend said he would just let me try is vista out but not till he has more time to spend at home.) and the only comp. i have to put it on hi an old 98 compaq with XP already on it. I don't have anything useful on it and was wondering if i could just put it on and boot seperately or if i had to clear XP first.

20 gig hardrive

128MB RAM

Well you should of got it with Vista... Then you should of loaded Ubuntu as a dual boot. Now it will be harder for you if you ever want MS OS.... At least you got linux on your laptop.

I've other desktop running XP for using sony vegas and I don't need MS OSes anymore.

Thanks for the replies and the link to other thread. I have another question and just though i would ask it here instead of another thread.

I am going to try linux first (my friend said he would just let me try is vista out but not till he has more time to spend at home.) and the only comp. i have to put it on hi an old 98 compaq with XP already on it. I don't have anything useful on it and was wondering if i could just put it on and boot seperately or if i had to clear XP first.

20 gig hardrive

128MB RAM

Xubuntu Recommended for you

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installat...1984a4a66b7361d

Good call Maro,

The Wolfman also has a system with only 128MB of RAM. I’m actually using this as a server to host my teamspeak. Anyhow, I just replaced the default Ubuntu Gnome with Xfce (Xubuntu). What a difference.

Here is an article I used to setup Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server. The reason I choose 6.06 instead of 7.10 is because it’s supported until 2011.

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_6.06

Of course, when your done the install, you will want to run the following:

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Hey i have downloaded Xubuntu to a disk and now cannot get it to work. It won't boot on start up from the disk (cd: 720MB) i cannot get it load manually i keep getting a popup box with

Ubuntu setup

could not find any appropriate CD

So any linux users know whats up?

(P.S. my hard drive is only 20 gig as i have said and am trying to put both ubuntu on and keep XP if possible, if i have to remove XP pleaase let me know if this is my only option to make this work.)

Edited by Demonic_angel

ok i have xubuntu loaded and now i get this out of frequency range

what is this?

Is it saying my moniter can't display it?

it was a friggin blinking dash! WTF. Sorry but man this is pissing me off. if linux is this hard just to get started i don't see why everyone likes it so much.

(i can;t even get the menu screen on the moniter. )

ok i finally got the damn thing working now what do i do? i cant find a single thing to with this thing. there is no internet browser no command input wtf?

ok just a few questions

1)what can i do

2)i thought this thing was suppose to operate fast, my XP pro with friggin Commodo AND Norton ran faster than this pos

3)what makes this so good? 4 options and nothing else come on i though you could customize this thing?

Edited by Demonic_angel

ok i finally got the damn thing working now what do i do? i cant find a single thing to with this thing. there is no internet browser no command input wtf?

ok just a few questions

1)what can i do

2)i thought this thing was suppose to operate fast, my XP pro with friggin Commodo AND Norton ran faster than this pos

3)what makes this so good? 4 options and nothing else come on i though you could customize this thing?

Are you loading off of a live cd? If so then there is probably something wrong with your cd or your system is screwed up, which I assume it isn't. Also what iso recorder did you use to make the live cd because the recorder could of messed up? This happened to me for ubuntu and I couldn't do anything because all it showed was the backround. I realized that I scratched my cd and then made a new one and it worked fine. Linux isn't this hard to install or even use the live cd. It is just that you have a bad iso recorder, your cd is scratched, or your system is messed up. Maybe you might want to try just regular ubuntu instead of xubuntu.

Yeah I am loading off a live CD so that probly the reason for the lag, I used Infrarecorder and everything is running right i think. This is my first forray into linux anything and i have taken a break and calmed down. But i can't find anything to do with this stuff, its got games but i don't know how to find the command input what command's to use or even how to begin customizing it. So any links would be great.

My problem with loading it was my BIOS was not set to load from CD and then it (linux) wouldn't run in reagular mode for some reason, I had to use something called SAFE GRAPHICS mode and now im trying to figure what to do with it.

Yeah I am loading off a live CD so that probly the reason for the lag, I used Infrarecorder and everything is running right i think. This is my first forray into linux anything and i have taken a break and calmed down. But i can't find anything to do with this stuff, its got games but i don't know how to find the command input what command's to use or even how to begin customizing it. So any links would be great.

My problem with loading it was my BIOS was not set to load from CD and then it (linux) wouldn't run in reagular mode for some reason, I had to use something called SAFE GRAPHICS mode and now im trying to figure what to do with it.

Well I don't know how well Infrarecorder is, but I do know that ISO recorder works(search google for it). Since you are running off of a live cd I don't think you can save anything on there. So you might want to think about installing it and doing a dual boot or using a vm. You can probably search google for any things to put into the command prompt. Maybe you downloaded a messed up iso image.

Edit: Here is a link for linux commands Commands

Edited by Daniel3

is there suppose to be a tool bar or something? all i have are 7 icons with point and click menus i looked up some linx stuff and apparently i m missing some stuff. Like terminal is suppose to be in app>accesories>terminal but i don't even have an apps button or anything. (the iso checked out (used MD5sum or something))

You know anything about this safe graphics mode? I tried to start normally and all it just shut down and gave me an out of range montinor thing the exact message is in a prior post.

And thanx for the link but right now i really don't know where to put them.

Edited by Demonic_angel

is there suppose to be a tool bar or something? all i have are 7 icons with point and click menus i looked up some linx stuff and apparently i m missing some stuff. Like terminal is suppose to be in app>accesories>terminal but i don't even have an apps button or anything. (the iso checked out (used MD5sum or something))

You know anything about this safe graphics mode? I tried to start normally and all it just shut down and gave me an out of range montinor thing the exact message is in a prior post.

And thanx for the link but right now i really don't know where to put them.

Well I think there is something wrong with your live cd or the iso on it. If you don't even have apps then there is something wrong. I have booted ubuntu in safe graphics mode before and I never noticed a difference between that and just starting regular. If xubuntu isn't working for you then you could try just regular ubuntu and download that.

Is there that much of difference between ubuntu and xubuntu

cause my comp is old and from what i have been told and read xubuntu was ideal

and one last thing cause i got to go to bed

how do you shut it down?

(linux)

Thanks for ur help i will just have to call one of my other friends. The guy who talked me into trying this. he is a LInux god and maybe he can help

Is there that much of difference between ubuntu and xubuntu

cause my comp is old and from what i have been told and read xubuntu was ideal

and one last thing cause i got to go to bed

how do you shut it down?

(linux)

Thanks for ur help i will just have to call one of my other friends. The guy who talked me into trying this. he is a LInux god and maybe he can help

I honestly don't know what the differences are between ubuntu and xubuntu. When I turn off my computer from booting off the live cd i just go to shut down which is in the top right hand corner. Then my cd pops out of the drive and I take it and then I just hold the power button on my computer. I think it is a good idea to ask your friend because I am not that good at linux and am relatively new.