UTS_HOST

Map more than 10 drives in XP

10 posts in this topic

i've been trying to hack this for a long time and have failed. so i thought i would ask for help. does anyone know a way i can map more than 10 network drives in xp? this is killiing my brain. thanks for any help one can give. I think 10 hard coded in but not sure.

I believe the maximum in Windows XP that you can assign a drive letter to is 26. Minus the ones assigned to local drives, it still should be more than 10.

Why ?

What is it you are trying to do ? chances are your doing it wrong if you need more then 10 network drives at once to do it .. unless you need to write to 10 drives at once ..

Edited by operat0r

yea i need to write to 10 drives, its for a render farm at the company i work for.

Do you need to have all 10 drives mapped at the same time? If not, perhaps you can map drives as they are required and disconnect them when you are done.

I've done some reading on Google and it looks like this is your only option. I also read that some people gave up and switched to a linux based server....not a good sign for your problem.

Wolfie

Do you need to have all 10 drives mapped at the same time? If not, perhaps you can map drives as they are required and disconnect them when you are done.

I've done some reading on Google and it looks like this is your only option. I also read that some people gave up and switched to a linux based server....not a good sign for your problem.

Wolfie

yea thats pritty much what i found... i would love to have it be linux, but our art people only know windows, and some mac..

Active connections to network shares is stuck at 10 in XP Pro and 5 in XP Home, to keep people from using the workstations instead of server os and to gouge more money selling client access licenses...

You could run Server 2000/2003 on each of the machines that need to host more than 10 active CIFS/SMB connections if you have the right CALs, you could implement another (unrestricted) mountable network file-system like nfs maybe ftp but there is a lot of overhead, or you could switch to Linux and run a dedicated clustering operating system .. one of the cluster-linux variants.

Edited by jabzor

yea thats pritty much what i found... i would love to have it be linux, but our art people only know windows, and some mac..

Art people on Windows? Shouldn't all art people on Mac??? :) Actually, this would fix your network share limitation as well.