Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigggj

xbox 360 usb controller cable

8 posts in this topic

hi, can u guys please design a usb plug for my wireless xbox 360 controller so i can plug n play if my batts die? i sorta have an idea of powering stuff off usb, but not sure which is power +/- or data +/- input for the controller. if i knew that much, i probably could finish from there.

thanks

Moving this into the Hardware Hacking section

i know about the kit, but would rather make my own charger.

..and i intentionally posted on the General Hacking section because people rarely go into this one, id appreciate it if you moved it back =)

i know about the kit, but would rather make my own charger.

..and i intentionally posted on the General Hacking section because people rarely go into this one, id appreciate it if you moved it back =)

You don't get to post wherever you want just because of traffic. The forums are broken down for a reason. Frankly, just because there is more traffic in GH, you are less likely to get a response there. This is the forum where most hardware hackers read and are most likely to help with your request. You can be in a higher traffic forum and have less success. This belongs here.

If anyone had any knowledge on the subject, please post. It sounds pretty tricky to me.

People who are interested in this go here. People who are not don't. Plus, if we dilute the content of each section, then there won't be a point into having sections at all.

hi, can u guys please design a usb plug for my wireless xbox 360 controller so i can plug n play if my batts die? i sorta have an idea of powering stuff off usb, but not sure which is power +/- or data +/- input for the controller. if i knew that much, i probably could finish from there.

thanks

I think the major problem here is going to be that we don't know what the wiring diagram of the "Charge Port" on the controller is.

wirelesscontrollercallodr4.jpg

I've googled around but I can't seem to find a schematic, you might have to open the bad boy up and probe around!

Now here's the problem with building this yourself instead of buying the ready made one. First off, the time it's going to take you to figure this out. Personally I would ignore that since it's cool messing around with stuff so that's a write off! The really big thing though is that you'll probably end up having to permanently solider into the charge port to make it work properly, while the store bought version will plug in and unplug. Granted you could just do a small usb tail and plug in and out of that but it won't be as pretty.

If I were you, I would buy the darn charger thingy and take it part. Then you can post a guide for everyone else on how it's done and you could even modify the one you have to have a longer/shorter USB cable. Maybe even a retractable one!

Bottom line, break out the probe, and take some pictures. Let us know what you find!

-Dr^ZigMan

It'd probably be easier to create a battery pack that converts AC power into DC, with the appropriate voltage for the 2 AA batteries that the 360 wireless controller uses.

All it takes is a DC converter of the appropriate voltage, some wire, and a spare battery-pack. Just solder the wires to the correct terminals and it should work. You can use some wooden dowels to simulate the AAs so that the pos-neg that stick out of the pack when removed will contact your wires.