Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eddy3oy

UK to ban 'hacking tools'

9 posts in this topic

Anyone seen this yet?

<a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/02/ha...l_ban_guidance/" target="_blank">http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/02/ha...l_ban_guidance/</a>

Now this comes at a fairly bad time as I was thinking of doing the CEH cert, but by the looks of it I could technically face criminal charges if my ISP decides that my network traffic is somewhat suspicious and calls the police.

Appologies if it's already been posted

I love how they think that all of our "hacking tools" are always used for bad. Had they ever heard the term of an "Ethical Hacker". And still that isn't probabily gonna stop people in the UK from making tools. Either way there not accomplishing much....

Edited by phasma

Not really... You might be more inclined to get your certifications now... it'd be like having a 'lock smith license' , here, the US, it makes it legal to carry lock-picks.

maybe..

I'd read into it deep, looking for the 'exceptions' before I gave up the hope of the happy hacker.

Piracy is illegal and how well have they controlled that?

what are they gonna do? censor the internet?

Thanks for posting that!

From what I understand, it extends further than just sharing password crackers, etc. I'm sorry to post part of a bill here, but I do think it's important to actually see it in order to realise it's implications.

(the bolding is mine)

“3A

Making, supplying or obtaining articles for use in offence under section 1 or 3

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he makes, adapts, supplies or offers to supply any article—

(a) intending it to be used to commit, or to assist in the commission of, an offence under section 1 or 3; or

(B)believing that it is likely to be so used.

(2) A person is guilty of an offence if he obtains any article with a view to its being supplied for use to commit, or to assist in the commission of,

an offence under section 1 or 3.

(3) In this section “article” includes any program or data held in electronic form.

This is from the Police and Justice Bill

The Computer Misuse Act 1990 that it amends can be read here

Wow, all I have to say is that it sucks. And everyone is right, hacking tools are tools. Tools can be used for both good and bad.

So what will those poor folks in the Parliament do when they have forgotten their own passwords, or wish to find out who keeps leeching their wifi, or simply check the security of their own system?

Will such measures make their own internet investigators as weaponless as their police force?

Maybe they will take a page from China and build their own Great Firewall.

A classic case of missing the forest for the trees.