bcrscahh198987

Any point to phreaking?

31 posts in this topic

I'm looking at phreaking as some sort of Latin language. it's a dead language.

Phreaking is not dead... I know... but any personal advantage to study phreaking? I don't want to actually study it to find out all the personal advantages. I just simply want to gain some expert insight into phreaking of how it can be useful to anyone who uses it.

I'm actually studying programming because I'm trying to create a proprietary software for my own use to analyze financial data I find interesting.

I'm also studying social engineering/urban exploration to better navigate through society.

So any reason for me to study phreaking? My time is already divided into studying many subjects, such as math , economics, english, latin, psychology, programming, social engineering, urban exploration, etc.

Any reason for me to study phreaking with my already busy schedule?

I would say no. Phreaking has always seemed, to me, to be something that you just enjoy, not that you take on as a project with goals. I don't see you getting much from it. Phreakers are the guys that are considered cool by hackers because of the stuff they can do, not because they get projects done. Some of the coolest people I've met are phreaks. But, I phreak because I just really love phones, the phone network, telcos bullshitting, the history, and the advances being made. But, I really love the feeling I get when I pick up a phone and realize it's the largest most complex network ever, and that it can connect me to anywhere in the world. It just awws me so much, that I have to spend time trying to understand it. Plus, Phreakers can do some pretty amazing shit, and chicks dig amazing shit(and default radio).

Besides the awesome drugs and sex you get from becoming a huge underground phone phreak rockstar? Yeah, I can't think of any reasons.

Even though I am still a n00b in Phreaking, you have too like and enjoy Phreaking for you to learn it good.

I would say no. Phreaking has always seemed, to me, to be something that you just enjoy, not that you take on as a project with goals.

I agree, phreaking isn't something you should approach looking for anything in specific -- it's like a trip through a part of the world you've never been before; you're not going to know what to expect for the most part. It's just best to let it take you wherever the road you're on seems to be pointing to. If you're looking for any specific benefits, though, I guess a better sense of detail, and possibly better people skills are something you can acquire, but again, you shouldn't expect anything.

If you pick up a phone just to call people, then you don't really care. But if you are like alot of us, and pick up a phone to hear a certain tone, or ring a number because it connects to a modem, or something like that then Phreaking is for you. I like calling wrong numbers ( OFTEN ON PURPOSE ) just to see what i will get. Its not for everyone, but it is still out there ...

It seems I viewed phreaking with from a very superficial standpoint.

I'll look into phreaking, but treat it as a hobby instead.

I still don't quite understand why everyone is still saying that phreaking is dead. It's like saying that hacking is dead because Pentium III's are "out-dated". Phreaking is not dead, it has just evolved...I guess the phreaking history is a bit more romanticized than the hacking community's, maybe that attributes to the stagnant feel of the community.

Edited by regret

I still don't quite understand why everyone is still saying that phreaking is dead. It's like saying that hacking is dead because Pentium III's are "out-dated". Phreaking is not dead, it has just evolved...I guess the phreaking history is a bit more romanticized than the hacking community's, maybe that attributes to the stagnant feel of the community.

I still like my Pentium 3's, all 6 of them may be obsolete, but they still serve a purpose.

Phreaking still serves a purpose, I am not quite sure of it, but it serves one.

Edited by Phreaker Meekrab

Exploration of a vast, interesting network? Fun? Exercise of the hacker mind?

Owning "The Man" with his own devices? Exploring the mysterious underground without a shovel?

I actually wasn't meaning that the pentium III was obsolete, I was stating an allusion that was just as absurd to state a fact. I actually use 2 Pentium III machines and a Pentium II still within my private network.

Phreaking does serve a purpose and that purpose is as simple as hacking...exploration. Just as hacking has expanded to TCP/IP networks over broadband connections with dynamic firewall systems and IDS/honeypots monitoring your every move, phone networks have change. It's just a sad fact of the matter that many have not moved into the newer "unexplored" areas of the world of telecom...the capabilities of asterisk and VOIP interconnection has barely been touched. Too many people just seem to be stuck in the past of wanting to use boxes and seize trunking line to make international phone calls, then when they are told that those things no longer work, they stand back and proudly boast that "phreaking is dead". Makes me wonder why those people have not stood on the hacking side and said the same things about many of the elements of "glorified hacking" that draw so many people in, only to find out they no longer are relevant either.

I actually wasn't meaning that the pentium III was obsolete, I was stating an allusion that was just as absurd to state a fact. I actually use 2 Pentium III machines and a Pentium II still within my private network.

Phreaking does serve a purpose and that purpose is as simple as hacking...exploration. Just as hacking has expanded to TCP/IP networks over broadband connections with dynamic firewall systems and IDS/honeypots monitoring your every move, phone networks have change. It's just a sad fact of the matter that many have not moved into the newer "unexplored" areas of the world of telecom...the capabilities of asterisk and VOIP interconnection has barely been touched. Too many people just seem to be stuck in the past of wanting to use boxes and seize trunking line to make international phone calls, then when they are told that those things no longer work, they stand back and proudly boast that "phreaking is dead". Makes me wonder why those people have not stood on the hacking side and said the same things about many of the elements of "glorified hacking" that draw so many people in, only to find out they no longer are relevant either.

*snort* hmm? Wha'? Oh, right, VoIP is dull, and softswitches suck.

In all seriousness, though, the TDM network is and always will be my playground, and it has nothing to do with either seizing trunks, boxing, or free calls of any sort -- I have unlimited to both the US and Canada, and that's free enough for me. Sure, seeing something old that still works is always cool, but there's new things within the same network that are discovered almost every week. Remember -- there is plenty of activity that goes on outside the world of binrev. As for VoIP, though, it seems to be what's getting all the attention; whether it's services that play recordings to you, spoof identification fields, there's plenty of weird services that're been developed even as we speak.

I apologize for not including that many supporting details, but I'm trying to stock up content for a project in progress right now. Remember, though; as we move closer to a VoIP network, what was once a completely unique network will be nothing more then a bunch of servers little different from the computer you're running right now on a network that's just another adjunct of the internet.

I might as well say it now, fooling a modern, fully digital CO switch into letting you do something out of the ordinary is by no means a stretch of the imagination. I know I'm just going to end up sounding like a complete idiot and a compulsive liar, but I'll leave demonstrations of that as something for another time.

EDIT: Hell with it, I may as well mention my points now. No point in keeping them to myself.

Right, so as I was saying, though, you really have to wonder if we're taking a step back in the world of telecom. Over the average VoIP connection, you'll be getting about a 9600 baud connection to a modem, where even over a rarely maintained analog microwave link, I've seen a modem push 14400 baud. Keep in mind, this is all before even T-carrier was released. Also, is there anything that the future network can do that the modern network can't? My first thought would be the other way around -- the modern network is stuck using uLaw over a bunch of T-carrier trunks, so in that sense, it's quite limited. But no, instead we see people compressing it to shittier and shittier sounding codecs, like GSM and G.729. We seem to get more and more bandwidth every single day, but we can't even support a simple IP-based telephone call with a decent codec using it, and when we do, we get ridiculous amounts of packet loss.

I think we can all agree that a system that's supposed to replace something should at least do as well as the system before it. So wake me when we see a softswitch that supports at least 24 simultaneous uLaw connections over IP with *no* audible packet loss whatsoever, and reliability so stiflingly high, you won't see it fail in at least fifteen years.

For me, though, call quality isn't the only thing I hate about softswitches. As the name implies, you get what you pay for -- an ATA with no cool test numbers, no interesting recordings, or anything like that. You might be saying, though, won't you still get cool recordings and the like with CO-operated softswitches? I've personally picked up pay phones on a softswitch in both Nebraska and New Jersey, two completely seperate states, and tried as hard as I could to get at least one recording from them. Not happening. Even calling from the outside, you get a battery drop and dumped to your permanent signal recording or local reorder, depending on how your office works. Of course, though, that can always be changed, but I still invite someone to show me a CO-based packet switch you find in the PSTN that has at least one recording. Also, what happens to all the fun and silly differences you get when you move from a hardware-based switch to a packet switch? That's all debateble, but I think they'll go away.

Anyway, sorry, I just had to let that out, it's been on my back for a while :) .

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

I know I'm just going to end up sounding like a complete idiot and a compulsive liar, but I'll leave demonstrations of that as something for another time.

One Name comes to mind ... Proof that Preaking is not Dead ...

GREYAREA ...

haven't seen much coming down the pipe from the grey lately. what is he doing these days.

One Name comes to mind ... Proof that Preaking is not Dead ...

GREYAREA ...

amen

Edited by hexahubris

haven't seen much coming down the pipe from the grey lately. what is he doing these days.

Just working 7 days a week for 2 companies, an ITSP on the eastcoast and a asterisk based PBX company in LA; from home skills.

..And playing second life haha =p

much love

The closest analogy I can find to Phone Phreaking is taking a long drive in your car down a road you've never traveled before, looking for something new and interesting. Sometimes you find something, and sometimes you don't. When you do find something cool, it makes all the unsuccessful trips worth it.

The problem phone phreaking has among today's hacking community is that there is a lack of instant gratification in it, and most hobbyists simply lack the patience for it. The phone companies have not been sitting still, and there is plenty out there to be discovered if one takes a look around. You will probably not find mention of these discoveries on a public forum such as this, as it is well known that Telco security like to frequent them and the better phreaks keep discoveries to themselves and a very close circle of friends.

Very well put :) . That analogy can be very literal in the phone world sometimes, too, it certainly has been for me at times.

I take it, you're no stranger to phreaking, are you?

Phreaking is not dead... I know... but any personal advantage to study phreaking? I don't want to actually study it to find out all the personal advantages. I just simply want to gain some expert insight into phreaking of how it can be useful to anyone who uses it.

I'm actually studying programming because I'm trying to create a proprietary software for my own use to analyze financial data I find interesting.

I'm also studying social engineering/urban exploration to better navigate through society.

So any reason for me to study phreaking? My time is already divided into studying many subjects, such as math , economics, english, latin, psychology, programming, social engineering, urban exploration, etc.

I will have to avoid this time reading everyone's response and instead reply with my first instinct. I will have to say that your out of your mind if you think Phreaking is dead. Actually quite opposite, if you think about it. A new arena has opened to the old school phreak, a new network map has been put out and it has many edges yet to be discovered. Yes, i'm talking about VoIP and IP Telephony. Everything from SIP fun to mapping not only 'numbers' but a domain of *@voice.company.com. No longer are you limited to just that, there are now new fun to be found in a new technology with new rules.

Since you also seem interested in that and potentially phreaking, why don't you merge your talent and ideas and consider making IP phone applications to expand the growing technology?

I like calling wrong numbers ( OFTEN ON PURPOSE ) just to see what i will get.

That just brought back memories of sitting on top of the payphone at my local park for hours randomly dialing toll free numbers to see what I would get. The absolute worst was when I got something very interesting, but forgot what I dialed. Wow Im excited and nostalgic now.

As far as a reason, I definitely remember everyone thinking I was the man when I could make a call on a phone in the mall that had plastic over the buttons.

Very well put :) . That analogy can be very literal in the phone world sometimes, too, it certainly has been for me at times.

I take it, you're no stranger to phreaking, are you?

I used to do a fair amount of phreaking when I was younger (like 20 years younger - LOL). Some of the old-school skills still come in handy during the course of my "day job".

;)

Phreaking in both its old form (C5) and its new form VoIP is not dead, it just requires a little bit of research, time and effort, Phreaking isnt all about Blue Boxing though, there are loads of little oddity's out there on the phone system just waiting to be found.

Oh and before you guys flame me for the C5 thing, there are a few countries left in the world that still use it as a backbone and it requires very little effort to find them

I personally think phreaking has a broader definetion than just telephones, I personally use it to encompass all telecommunication forms, it makes things a lot easier to understand in my opinion

I would/am studying phreaking I have been at it for almost 2 years and I have barely scratched the surface of whats out there so yes go and study, in the long run it never hurts to be able to join in a conversation at say a local 2600 or a user group or whatever it is you may attend

Peace Out

RP