Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
canr

Linux Questions ( Simple )

13 posts in this topic

I am trying to install aim for example. I downloaded it and I did the instructions at:

I chose to download the ALL OTHER OS one.

elease numbers.

cd ~/Desktop since its on my desktop.

gunzip -c aim-1.5.234-1.i386.tgz | tar xvf -

All works fine. But I am guessing me not having permissions to /usr/local/bin/aim is the problem am I supposed to?

Edited by canr

It makes a folder on my desktop named usr. I am assuming thats the shortcut to it.

"/usr/local/bin/aim" is what I am supposed to run.

It says

bash: /usr/local/bin/aim: No such file or directory

I tried sudo /usr/local/bin/aim and entered my password but command not found. The dir exists but I am assuming because I dont have permissions I cant read or write.

Just type in 'aim' in the terminal. Without the quotes of course.

Otherwise you can Chmod 777 it.

me@comp:~$ aim

bash: aim: command not found

me@comp:~$ cd ~/Desktop

me@comp:~/Desktop$ aim

bash: aim: command not found

me@comp:~/Desktop$ sudo aim

sudo: aim: command not found

Is what I get. I have heard of chmod 777 for a server file or something how do I do it for a local file?

The aim client is horribly outdated. They don't maintain it, I think it's been sitting untouched since 1999 or something. Don't use it, but I'll show you how to untar something like this.

First see what's in the file: tar -tzvf somefile.tar.gz

In your case, you should see a file hierarchy with /usr/local/bin stuff. This means the file was intended to be extracted to the / directory. Be very careful with these tar files, they can often overwrite files they shouldn't.

Extract the tar file in the / directory: cd /; sudo tar -xzvf ~/somefiles.tar.gz

Remember those two tar commands. tzvf for viewing what's in a tar file so you have some clue how to use it, then xzvf to extract it to your current directory.

But really, the AIM client sucks. Use Pidgin or Kopete.

Never chmod 777, it's just plain ignorant. If you need a file to be executable, give it the x bit. It's really not hard, as easy as chmod +x somefile. Read about the file permissions. It's not difficult and it's something you need to know.

0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)

E: Unable to lock the download directory

That happens everytime to me when I try to sudo apt-get. How do fix that? Also in that case what client do you suggest except for trilian that has atleast aim + msn. Is pidgin a good option or is it also like the aim for linux where it hasn't been worked on for a while.

0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)

E: Unable to lock the download directory

That happens everytime to me when I try to sudo apt-get. How do fix that?

Is another apt or dpkg command running? Did you shut your machine off or did it crash in the middle of an apt operation? Is the auto updater program (in your system tray) running? Run ps aux and look for any dpkg or apt processes. If you can't find any, the lock file is danging (a program creates the lock file to prevent other programs from accessing the dpkg database at the same time, but didn't delete it before the program closed). I've never encountered that, but if you google the error I'm sure someone will have a solution. You can probably just delete the lock file.

Also in that case what client do you suggest except for trilian that has atleast aim + msn. Is pidgin a good option or is it also like the aim for linux where it hasn't been worked on for a while.

Really, I'm not supposed to flame, but did you try this and this? Technical questions I can understand, but you can at least show the least bit of self-initiative in finding these things out. There's a huge list of protocols on the front page, kind of hard to miss. Also, Pidgin comes installed already but it's might be called Gaim (the old name, but it's the same software).

Yeah.. if you got synaptic-package-manager open and are jumping around between the GUI and command line I've gotten errors like that..

Why not use gaim? it works well enough for me.. I don't have any aim accounts.. but the msn, irc, and jabber work just fine. It has options for adding aims...

Which distro of linux are you using??

for giggles.. have you tried clicking applications, internet, gaim?? (I say this not knowing which distro you're running, but guessing Ubuntu)

Edited by PurpleJesus

I was using fiesty fawn. I used gaim I didn't like the interface much. Pidgin doesn't come with fiesty it comes with gutsy.

pidgin and gaim are the same thing. so if you didnt like gaim (i have no idea why you wouldnt) then you probably wont like pidgin