Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blackhatt

Program to wipe hard drive

25 posts in this topic

I want to wipe my hard drive and i need a good program for it. What do you guys think. id like a free one to. Thanks for your help

I want to wipe my hard drive and i need a good program for it. What do you guys think. id like a free one to. Thanks for your help

I think this was mentioned before in other threads, but you honestly cant completely wipe a hard drive. Deleting something wont dissipate it. You need something that will over-write it! I use CCleaner for that but that wont wipe your hard drive. ;)

yea, i would use boot and nuke if i were you. I've used it on numerous computers of all ages, and have never had problems with it, and it wipes absolutely everything using an algorithm of your choice.

I use PGP Desktop's whole disk encryption instead. The decryption key is required to boot, and as soon as the computer is off, the hard-drive is completely inaccessible. That paired with the Windows XP memory dump feature (If enabled in the registry, pressing ctrl+scroll+scroll causes a BSOD, and the OS crashes -- instant shutdown :)), keeps my computers nice & secure from potential "prying eyes".

If I was really paranoid, I could set up a UDP client/server system whereby a key combination on any computer would knock em all off. ^_^ It would have to be something quite obscure though, cause I'd hate to hit it while gaming. (I've had problems like that before :roll:)

Use DBAN.

Before i posted i looked into to dban but i couldnt get it to save onto a disk. This is for a laptop im selling. And dont you have to download a client to open it... atleast thats what it is telling me.

thermite :)

I was going to suggest tossing the hard-drive into the fires of the Sammath Naur, Mordor. But I thought my idea would be more...practical.

Use DBAN.

Before i posted i looked into to dban but i couldnt get it to save onto a disk. This is for a laptop im selling. And dont you have to download a client to open it... atleast thats what it is telling me.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

DBAN is included on this disk, as well as several great other tools...

Use DBAN.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

DBAN is included on this disk, as well as several great other tools...

apparently im a super newb. I cant get this to work i cant get it to download to a disk. I just wnat DBAN not the rest of the stuff. Please can someone show me how to get this on a disk

You need a program like magicISO or nero to burn the .iso file as an image. Once your burn the dban file thats an .iso format to the cd and then put it into your computer and reboot and its simple from there.

I use PGP Desktop's whole disk encryption instead. The decryption key is required to boot, and as soon as the computer is off, the hard-drive is completely inaccessible. That paired with the Windows XP memory dump feature (If enabled in the registry, pressing ctrl+scroll+scroll causes a BSOD, and the OS crashes -- instant shutdown :)), keeps my computers nice & secure from potential "prying eyes".

If I was really paranoid, I could set up a UDP client/server system whereby a key combination on any computer would knock em all off. ^_^ It would have to be something quite obscure though, cause I'd hate to hit it while gaming. (I've had problems like that before :roll:)

Can I get a .img of ur hd pl0x?

Sure ^_^ I'll just attach the image to a PM then, shall I?

What could you possibly be planning on doing with 750GB of encrypted data anyway? >.>

Sure ^_^ I'll just attach the image to a PM then, shall I?

What could you possibly be planning on doing with 750GB of encrypted data anyway? >.>

No no email it to meh :P j/k no it sounded like a fun challenge to read your data...

You need a program like magicISO or nero to burn the .iso file as an image. Once your burn the dban file thats an .iso format to the cd and then put it into your computer and reboot and its simple from there.

Ok so i can burn dban to a disk then put it in the laptop and it will open. cause when i try to open it on my desktop it asks what program to use.

Yeah, you burn it to a disk.

//EDIT: and boot from it

//EDIT2: Make sure you back up any data you want to keep, or you will lose it forever.

Edited by greeniguana00