Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jat Goodwin

Need somone to help me.

12 posts in this topic

I cant find a Ubuntu download that gets a correct md5sum. I have downloaded Ubuntu like 5 times from 5 different mirrors and each time I check the hash, its wrong. If anybody knows of a mirror that they have downloaded it from recently and they get a correct md5sum hash, please let me know.

We got latest edgy from MIT Media Labs Mirror the other day for my brother's system and everything checked out from there...come to think of it, I've never gotten a bad checksum on an Ubuntu download.

that almost sounds like you have file corruption going on? have u tried downloading any other large files, or had any other strange behavior like this?

I tried that download, and it didn't work. I still get the I/O error message that say it cant read the boot disk. So I don't think the problem is with the disk, but the CD drive itself. I'm trying to install it on a old HP Pavilion Notebook N3310. Its like 9 years old. Looking around on the Ubuntu forums most people fixed this problem with a driver update on their CD reader. so im going to try that.

Are you doing an md5 sum on the image file, or on the CD you burned? Explain the entire process in detail, it's difficult to tell what's going wrong from this end. A common mistake is to make a new ISO filesystem when that ISO file on it and burn that. Also, how are you burning the file? You need to be burning the iso file as an image, it's a very common mistake.

ok, first I download the Iso, I then use CDburnerXP to burn the file as a ISO. after that I go stick the disk in my laptop then boot it to the disk, i see the Ubuntu install screen come up, but if i try to select any of the options i get a message saying that it cannot read the boot disk.

Try grabbing another live cd or OS boot disk ISO and burning it with the same CD burner...I believe it may be your burner itself causing the corruption.

Eater of PIE!

Who's your ISP, and what method are you using to download, i.e., bit torrent, ftp, etc...

Just curious.

if your md5 sum is coming up different before u burn it..then the problem isnt gonna be with your burner,or with whether you are burning it as an .iso. If you could give a little more information, it would b a lot easier to help.

You never said when you do the md5 sum and how exactly you do it. Your question could have been answered a long time ago if you would have given proper information. Everyone here is just guessing (more or less) blindly.