lordwud

first things you do to a new linux box

21 posts in this topic

I just told someone to use screen in another thread, and it reminded me of all the times i tried starting a new screen just to realize I hadn't installed it yet. So I was wondering what essential apps/configurations everyone does on fresh linux installs. Here are some off the top of my head, Ill add more as i think about it.

programs:

vim, screen, htop, bb(for s+g's), bsflite, lynx

configurations:

enable bash/vim color support, disable root access for ssh

There are a few things I do first off on a fresh install of any linux distro.

1. Configure IPTables

2. Configure host.allow, host.deny, and run thru the /etc/rc.d folder for anything not needed.

3. Fluxbox configuration...what can I say, I love my themes and backgrounds. A comfortable working environment gets my creative juices flowing.

Generally, I go thru most of the system configuration files and system administration files (/etc/passwd, /etc/group, ect ect) before I start in on any applications. Then I go thru the user and group files again to make sure nothing was arbitrarily reconfigured without admin knowledge.

Edited by regret

Since I do a lot of web design and website programming, I normally make sure I have geany (a great text editor) and gftp, and then I normally set up and configure apache, MySQL, and PHP, with all the appropriate modules, making sure the services don't start automatically. Then I set up tor and privoxy. I also set up enigmail for Thunderbird to make gpg encryption easier, and torbutton, noscript, and web developer toolbar for Firefox. I also make sure I have nmap and aircrack-ng. Most other things I just set up as I need them.

Midnight Commander. Frustrates me no end when it isn't installed on a system I am working on.

Firestarter, openssh-server, xchat, pidgin, tor etc.

The Wolfman can't believe no one has mentioned cowsay yet!!

\ (oo)\_______
(__)\ )\/\
||----w |
|| ||

googling cowsay right now, but it sounds like it might be similar to "apt-get moo"

Edited by Lord Wud

I usually install/configure all my audio apps, then configure my desktop so it feels right for me,

I usually install/configure all my audio apps, then configure my desktop so it feels right for me,

I also do the same thing then I start with the services and move on from there... The one thing that has to work for me is the wifi ....

I also try to change the shell to add color and run security updates plus also install other little programs.

as in recording? which do you use? Ive only ever really used was audacity.

If you can think of it, I try using it...I'm planning on setting up a weekly underground music podcast/radio show....I'm learning all I can for what is available for linux...and trying to figure out what app is going to be the best bet....so ...yeah...I'll be recording my voice :lol:

Compile a custom kernel, then get my network interfaces up and running. Once I finish disabling service I have no need for I generally lose interest.

If you can think of it, I try using it...I'm planning on setting up a weekly underground music podcast/radio show....I'm learning all I can for what is available for linux...and trying to figure out what app is going to be the best bet....so ...yeah...I'll be recording my voice :lol:

If you are just starting looking, then Dyne:Bolic is a really useful tool. Loads of audio/video tools in a bootable CD.

Audacity seems to be the 'best' (redefine 'best' as you like), if you're used a real mixing console. Jokosher looks like it might be a good app for an 'average' person.

Munge.

PS. First actions on Linux ... enable remote X (via SSH) and install encrypted home drive (Encfs).

Hey Doomtroll,

Have you tried LMMS for linux? I'm not sure if it has a wav editor, but it may be of some use for you.

http://lmms.sourceforge.net/

I have that installed, just haven't had a chance to play with it yet

If you are just starting looking, then Dyne:Bolic is a really useful tool. Loads of audio/video tools in a bootable CD.

Audacity seems to be the 'best' (redefine 'best' as you like), if you're used a real mixing console. Jokosher looks like it might be a good app for an 'average' person.

Munge.

PS. First actions on Linux ... enable remote X (via SSH) and install encrypted home drive (Encfs).

Audacity is one I use the most, Dyne:Bolic I tried about 2 years ago and I wasn't impressed...maybe I should check out a new version to see if its any better...I'm usually not a LiveCD fan when it comes to Workstation uses...but who knows..

When you go live let me or us know that way we could check it out.