Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deepgeek

Baby's first hack

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

A couple of days ago, my 8 Yr Old niece figured out what she was getting for Xmas.

But when she was in hot water over this, I asked Sis-in-Law how, being that I knew that my In-laws hiding places were great. She said no, that my youngest niece was using her computer and read her copies of the receipts she had stored on her disk.

Well, the tears were coming to my eyes! After telling my Sis-in-law that no, I didn't teach her how to do that, that I guess I needed to get my little girl a black T-shirt for Xmas!

Well, I'm a proud Uncle! Any like stories!?

Merry Xmas, and yes, it is true,

---

Deepgeek

This is a Hack???

If the files are there on the drive, I would hope an 8 year old could read them. Unless they were Ultra Top Secret EYESONLY type ...

She found recipes on your own drive. She didn't break into the computer and find them, she came across them lol. But thats cool! She is mad 1337

Hi,

A couple of days ago, my 8 Yr Old niece figured out what she was getting for Xmas.

But when she was in hot water over this, I asked Sis-in-Law how, being that I knew that my In-laws hiding places were great. She said no, that my youngest niece was using her computer and read her copies of the receipts she had stored on her disk.

Well, the tears were coming to my eyes! After telling my Sis-in-law that no, I didn't teach her how to do that, that I guess I needed to get my little girl a black T-shirt for Xmas!

Well, I'm a proud Uncle! Any like stories!?

Merry Xmas, and yes, it is true,

---

Deepgeek

That's cool man... I'd be proud too... She's got a mind and isn't afraid to use it. She's a thinker... I pity the poor boys when she starts dating.

Did you ask her how she did it??? Did mom make it easy by saving the pw's to the email client? or did she dig into the file system and extract the files manually?

Hi, thanks for great replies.

Her mother set up an account she shares with her three daughters, even though she has a private account also. This she did with the intent of having better surveillance of her daughters. Then she saved the html-formatted copies she keeps of her online purchases in a sub directory.

So, while the little one did not do any password cracking, etc (she is, after all, eight,) she did ferret through the directories to find these files. This was using konqueror as her file manager. So, since she is eight, and her ten and fourteen yr old sisters never thought of this, I think it is a good hack. Sure, if she loaded knoppix from CD and then worked around her mothers password security, that would have been even better. But like I said, we are talking of an eight year old.

---

Deepgeek

Epic for an 8 year old! The fact that she went through the directories and found it shows some definite intelligence and critical thinking.

Get that girl a Knoppix disc and a laptop, and let the 0wnage begin!

I got my 3 year old a G3 iMac, and he uses our PC's all the time. He's gotten prety god at working the mouse and some of the keyboard control. Hopefully he'll be doing the same thing to me in he future!

OH THE LUV!!! please give her a kiss from me, that is so admirable and simply fills me with joy, I know exactly what you mean.

The force is strong in her, now it is your job to be good mentor to this young padawan. - In the next couple of years she could get a quick start on the online hacker challenges, and perhaps be like the female hacker from the Hacker Diaries book. :D

Nice! I think you should be proud of her it displays the hacker mindset in my opinion even at such a small level however what must be remember is that she is such a young child! I think you should get her a cheap laptop and a box set up badly and tell her if she gets in you'll get her sweets or something! :P

Start 'em young ;)

Nice! I think you should be proud of her it displays the hacker mindset in my opinion even at such a small level however what must be remember is that she is such a young child! I think you should get her a cheap laptop and a box set up badly and tell her if she gets in you'll get her sweets or something! :P

Start 'em young ;)

I like that... that's a cool idea..

Start a "Hacker Youth" program... (as long as we can keep the nazi jokes to a minimum.)

Can you imagine the arguments with the kids? " Ok fine!. Lets take this to the terminal, I bet I can own you!"

I do think there is merit in such an idea. Even a hacker youth club...

Start 'em young ;)

But, what parents would devote their child to a group of people trying to teach them Computer Hacker, unless you are one or know one you're self! Sorry, but most average parents wants there kids to focus on learning things in school and doing choirs around the house. And most youth don't care much for computer rather they would want to play tag or kickball. Personally thats a good idea though.

OR we could take Adolf's route, make them join. Thats the reason Nazi Youth was the "shit". :P

Heheh true! I completely agree on your point about most parents not wanting that for there kids however it was more of a thought than an realistic proposition, I suppose a toddlers 2600 or binrev meeting could be in order :P !

Heheh true! I completely agree on your point about most parents not wanting that for there kids however it was more of a thought than an realistic proposition, I suppose a toddlers 2600 or binrev meeting could be in order :P !

LMAO, a bunch of toddlers running around talking about computers, hardware, phreaking, urban exploration and other shit like that. Just the thought puts a smile to my face!

LMAO, a bunch of toddlers running around talking about computers, hardware, phreaking, urban exploration and other shit like that. Just the thought puts a smile to my face!

Actually, I think we have plenty of that on Binrev as it is :P