Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jat Goodwin

Can not instal linux.

3 posts in this topic

I have this crappy old laptop thats like 9 years old so I decided to install linux on it. I talked to some people on the Irc and tried to install kubuntu. I burned the Iso to the disk and put it in my laptop then booted it to the cd. then the nice little menu came up and when I select anything on the menu a message pops up saying.

"I/o"

"Error Reading Boot CD"

with a little box that says

"Reboot"

at that point I am forced to reboot. so after trying a few times I made a new disk and got the same results.

So I then made a disk of just ubuntu and still get the same results.

The laptop uses a old AMD k9-III CPU and has 248 mb of ram. and still runs windows 98. I don't think its a 64x cpu so I've been using the i386 distributions.

Im running out of disks so i cant do any more trial and error testing.

Edited by Eater of PIE!

K, don't laugh...

I've had success running knoppix 3.6 on an ancient stuff. For some reason the .de download works, but I haven't had any success with the english version (dunno why). Just boot it with "knoppix lang=us" (btw, the "=" is a ")" on the german keyboard). From there you can see if your bios version meets cut off dates, etc.

the best option here, is to remove the hard drive, and put it into another computer install and reinstall the drive back into the laptop.

it seems like the laptop is having trouble booting from the cdrom.

other things to look at.

is the cdrom, good and can you boot from it in the first place?

I would not believe it's your bios, because you get and error from trying to boot from the disk.

and if you don't want to remove the drive but still want to install it.

try loadin.exe. you said it still had windows 98 install on it. then boot into dos mode and boot the kernel and initrd with that small exe.