Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
canr

Telnet to an smtp server

9 posts in this topic

Well I just wanted to play around and just test it but to spoof an email you need a mail server to telnet to. Which ones can I use or what should I search to get one that I can use. Also do I need to have port 23 open to do this? Is having port 23 open dangerous?

This is just for testing

Well I just wanted to play around and just test it but to spoof an email you need a mail server to telnet to. Which ones can I use or what should I search to get one that I can use. Also do I need to have port 23 open to do this? Is having port 23 open dangerous?

This is just for testing

You need to have whatever port the SMTP server is running on open. Telnet to it on that port, which is usually 25.

telnet 192.168.1.100 25

like that. Just replace that address with the address of the server.

Like stated. Having port 25 is a security concern and also where can I find an smtp server to use?

when you find a server...

telnet <server> 25

helo localhost

MAIL FROM: alk3@localhost

RCPT TO: georgebush@whitehouse.com

DATA

Hello,

You are horrible.

-alk3

QUIT

:D

Taking advantage of someones misconfigured smtp server as a mail relay is wrong, people who do so (spammers..) should be sentenced to life imprisonment. ;)

Seriously, leave it alone... find a hobby or something.. if you do find a server that's misconfigured, send a report to the webmaster.

Taking advantage of someones misconfigured smtp server as a mail relay is wrong, people who do so (spammers..) should be sentenced to life imprisonment. ;)

Seriously, leave it alone... find a hobby or something.. if you do find a server that's misconfigured, send a report to the webmaster.

And on that note, check out Virginia.gov:25

Edited by hbp

Like stated for testing purposes only.

The question was how do I find a mail server that I can telnet to and spoof an email like so? Or is it any smtp server

Like stated for testing purposes only.

The question was how do I find a mail server that I can telnet to and spoof an email like so? Or is it any smtp server

Usually, any properly-configured server will not let you use telnet mail. I would suggest to look in to downloading Apache + mod_smtpd and setting up your own mail server.

As for security, I don't see why running telnet would be a concern, as long as you protect it with a good username and password

Edited by Spyril