Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grahamboree

OSX on a PC

13 posts in this topic

A couple of years ago I heard about people putting OSX on a pc using a disk image and dd. Anyone here have a *friend* that did this, and if so did *s/he* find it usable as an os or was it more of a proof-of-concept thing?

Please Note: Putting OSX on a PC using a disk image you downloaded off bittorrent is illegal. If you want to use OSX, go buy a Mac. As always, I hold no accountability for anything you or your idiot friends do, nor do I condone illegal activities in any way. ;)

It depends on your PCs specs, if you system is compatible it will just like it would on a mac.

If you post your system specs I will tell you if it would be compatible with your system.

Not that you will actually install it of course.

Edited by Zeph

Leopard has a much better success rate at being installed on PC's then previous versions.

I'm sure if you google it, you'll get many such guides for this.

EDIT: Not that you would think of doing such a thing like this, for this is illegal.

Edited by gloomer

I know that you need a few things like SSE2 and possibly SSE3 for some applications. My *friend's* laptop specs are:

HP Pavillion dv8210us

Amd Turion64 ML-32 1.79 GHz

1.87 GB RAM (2gb with shared video)

ATI Radeon Xpress 200M

Well *this friend of mine* tried it a while back with the "deadmoo" image by copying it to a blank partition with dd, but was unable to get *his* computer to boot off that partition. *He* might do some more googling and give it another shot and maybe let me know how it went.

(Insert same disclaimer as before here)

Edited by grahamboree

The main issue with osx86 is that kernel level updates can't be applied via the updater and are also not released for some time after. Generally the releases are not up to date with the official release or the ones that are are not as stable. It will run, but I wouldn't suggest using it on a machine that is mission critical to anything.

The main issue with osx86 is that kernel level updates can't be applied via the updater and are also not released for some time after. Generally the releases are not up to date with the official release or the ones that are are not as stable. It will run, but I wouldn't suggest using it on a machine that is mission critical to anything.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=70943

I know that you need a few things like SSE2 and possibly SSE3 for some applications. My *friend's* laptop specs are:

HP Pavillion dv8210us

Amd Turion64 ML-32 1.79 GHz

1.87 GB RAM (2gb with shared video)

ATI Radeon Xpress 200M

Well *this friend of mine* tried it a while back with the "deadmoo" image by copying it to a blank partition with dd, but was unable to get *his* computer to boot off that partition. *He* might do some more googling and give it another shot and maybe let me know how it went.

(Insert same disclaimer as before here)

Oh boy I remember that. LOL!!

It appears as though the hardware tests ran slower on the Hackintosh's (which were more powerful) than genuine Mac's.

It appears as though the hardware tests ran slower on the Hackintosh's (which were more powerful) than genuine Mac's.

Well of course, OS X is going to be heavily optimized for the Mac hardware.

I've done it to my Compaq Presario 2200

Seriously check out http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page and find the Hardware Compatibility List for the version of OS X you are going to use. I've got 10.4.6 running on my laptop still

DSCF1217.jpg

DSCF1211.jpg

All you have to remember is to format the drive using the OS X disk util. My laptop lacks SSE2 and it can still install but I do miss out on some things, Most notably when I had OOo on it I could type a paragraph, leave and when I came back it would still be outputting the first line. It was that slow. Good luck and check out http://www.insanelymac.com/

I installed it on my ASUS MN2PV and everything but the network functioned. On my old Compaq Evo n610c it worked great. got an HP compaq nc6220 and the graphics don't work right and neither does the wireless.

Check out this site for alot of help, what hardware works, etc: http://www.osx86project.org/