Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UTS_HOST

Commandline shh client

10 posts in this topic

anyone know of a good command line based ssh client? our NOC at work needs one. putty won't work because we can't have a putty window popping up on a computer that we will go into then need to goto another computer behind it. I already use one in slackware, but the people on the NOC arn't very competent so i like to keep it as easy as possible. so that means i have to stick to windows.. lol thanks for any help.

Is this a joke? How about the one used on most Unix-like systems on earth... ;-)

<a href="http://www.openssh.org/" target="_blank">http://www.openssh.org/</a>

Have fun.

LOL not a joke, i have this and have already tried to get them to use it, but they say its to complicated.. lol!! just checking to see if anyone knows of something real simple, if i get them outside of windows they get lost. thx tho.

Edited by UTS_HOST

basically we use ssh to goto a digital advertising screen. one screen is outward facing and has the ports we need to send adds, content, and status forwarded to it. but behind that sign there might be 3 more that check into that. once puttied into it, if you open another putty session it displays on the screen. i need something we can use in the back ground that won't go "live" on the screen.

I don't understand exactly what you require.... but given that your on Windows (menton Putty) you could install cygwin, which contains both a ssh client (to connect out to other machines) and a ssh server (to allow connections to your machine).

There are some instructions on setting up ssh server as a windows service, so that it is always started when the machine boots (even if a user is not logged in).

[edit]

The activity within an ssh session will not be displayed on the 'server' machine. It will occur in a 'invisible' console/bash shell/dos box (behind the scenes).

Munge.

Edited by mungewell

basically we use ssh to goto a digital advertising screen. one screen is outward facing and has the ports we need to send adds, content, and status forwarded to it. but behind that sign there might be 3 more that check into that. once puttied into it, if you open another putty session it displays on the screen. i need something we can use in the back ground that won't go "live" on the screen.

from this im getting that you either need two ssh connections from the same machine.. or you need to have the same user running two differant apps on the remote computer. for the first scenario just have them minimize one of the putty windows. for the second use screen http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/