Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wanna_Be_Big

Is this plausible?

6 posts in this topic

Is it possible to make a program or script that updates all the programs in my computer automatically at a specific time? For example, i want to update all my adobe, steam, and game files per month.

It's possible...

Plausible yes, would also give a good learning experience...

It all really depends on how you want to go about doing it however.

Basically you wont be able to actually connect to the servers and perform system updates unless you connect to some website that possess these updates or I guess you could always spoof to be the client and request updates and so forth but that's probley illegal and unnecessary ...

So what'd you have to do is initialize these programs to update themselves.

I believe this can be done multiple ways... also depending on how these perform their own updates.

Some programs have files in their primary folder called for example, " UPDATE.EXE " however they usually require you to click next like a wizard.

You can have your program run all these initializing programs and learn either how to manipulate or send commands to the windows shell or use a non-efficient method such as having the program move your mouse cursors position to whatever location it needs to be to do whatever it needs to do and have it send a click command. So it's like you're actually moving your mouse however the programs doing it for you.

These are the theorys I quickly came up with there's probley many more methods of doing it however, some probley easier, so might want to wait to get more information from other users.

What scripting languages do you know?

Is it possible to make a program or script that updates all the programs in my computer automatically at a specific time?

I feel compelled to mention that this IS what emerge --world does in gentoo. Just a thought as to a future operating system for you if this is something you really would like to do.

Many of the programs you mentioned automatically check for updates every time they are launched. If this is the case then this might just be a matter of creating a macro that launches every program, waits 30 seconds for updates, then closes it. Granted that's over simplified but I'm certain you get the idea.

Now for the real question, Why? Is there a particular reason you want to force all your software to update at a particular time? I'm curious as it just makes more sense to me to update as often as possible, i.e. whenever a new update comes out. Perhaps the answer to this question can help us guide you in a more useful direction.

-Dr^ZigMan

Is it possible to make a program or script that updates all the programs in my computer automatically at a specific time?

I feel compelled to mention that this IS what emerge --world does in gentoo. Just a thought as to a future operating system for you if this is something you really would like to do.

Many of the programs you mentioned automatically check for updates every time they are launched. If this is the case then this might just be a matter of creating a macro that launches every program, waits 30 seconds for updates, then closes it. Granted that's over simplified but I'm certain you get the idea.

Now for the real question, Why? Is there a particular reason you want to force all your software to update at a particular time? I'm curious as it just makes more sense to me to update as often as possible, i.e. whenever a new update comes out. Perhaps the answer to this question can help us guide you in a more useful direction.

-Dr^ZigMan

Its for the internet cafe i work for.

Its for the internet cafe i work for.

Couple things off hand I can think of...

1. I believe there's some kind of a domain type system that lets an administrator update multiple computers at once if it's setup like a ADS setup or something

typically I believe this is used for updating windows itself however.

2. Create some kind of a server within the network, ftp, network drive it or something. Have someone once a month look-up and download these updates, place them in the server with the specific name, or in a specific folder. Have the program at a certain time run the program, when the program runs just have it execute the patches, however most likley they all have different type setups where you'd still have to go around to each computer and finnish the job.

3. Use some kind of a GHOST type system, and just have a user update ghost once a month and have ghost auto ghost on the weekends or once a certain day each month.

4. Kind of the same concept as number 2 except just have it execute the programs, which would make it slightly easier for the user to run around and update the programs.