Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xgermx

Challenge: Frosty The Snow Crash

8 posts in this topic

Challenge: Frosty The Snow Crash

stop me if this sounds corny/lame/whatever but, I thought it might be fun if we tried working on this challenge as a group.

This is NOT a hack this box type challenge, it's more of a critical thinking/problem solving scenario.

So, where shall we begin?

I say that it sounds to corny to let live and therfore must be nuked with thermite :blowfuse:

why am I not surprised...

does anyone here even know what nc is?

damn I'm getting cynical in my old age.

I'm gonna take a crack it it tomorrow and post my results...

does anyone here even know what nc is?

Could it be Netcat? nah.. :D

I'll take a look at it tomorrow as well, tonight = drink and sleep ;)

Edited by jabzor

wmic /namespace:\\root\wmi PATH MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature get

CurrentTemperature /every:15

I managed to get the first script to work after a few tries (didn't work on my first laptop for some reason)

but the second one is giving me a bit of trouble... (Italicized words are variable)

wmic /node:computername /user:administrator /password:secret123 cpu get loadpercentage /every:15

so far, whenever I run this, all i can get is "Invalid Global Switch"

I have both the attacking and defending laptops in the same workgroup, I can browse shares on both, but I don't know enough about WMI to do more than basic troubleshooting.

Any ideas guys?

well, I found out that if I remove the hyphen from the name of my node (i.e. TestPC instead of Test-PC) I can actually get the script to run...well almost

Node - TestPC

ERROR:

Code = 0x800706ba

Description = The RPC server is unavailable.

Facility = Win32

I checked to make sure the RPC service was enabled and running on both the attacking and defending laptops but still, no luck

Edited by xGERMx

did a bit more testing and I came to realize that if I purposely misspell the node name (i.e. /node:TestPC0101) I still get the same error message.

at this point I think it might be best to move this to a virtual environment with two clean installs of XP SP2

Mmm, I stumbled onto this post, so I'm not sure what all the hacking stuff here is yet, but I figured at the very least I can help you out with the WMI node issue.

Computer names that have a hyphen have to be in quotations, e.g., /node:"PC-01".

*Side question, does anyone know why a WMI request would work fine with a DNS name but fail when tried with the IP?

/node:"PC-01" works for us, however if the IP for PC-01 is 192.168.1.101 and we try /node:192.168.1.101 it fails.

To make it better the above works both ways for some computers, but not for all.