Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Philosopher

Modern Modem BBSs

9 posts in this topic

For various reasons, I find the concept of the "old school" h/p/a BBS to be very appealing, and I was wondering if any significant number of these systems still exist via dial-up or telnet in the U.S. Are there any sysop Binrev members? I live in 303, specifically...

There are some you can telnet into to also... they have the same look and feel of the old school... w/o the LD bill...

google around for them... might take ya a while to find a current list... be patient.

Yes, I am fond of and I do frequent telnet BBS systems. USBBS is nice, but it does not list any "underground" BBSs, which is what I was getting at. Plus, the list is somewhat oudated. Nonetheless, it is a nice tool, although my question still stands regarding hacker/phreak BBSs and sysop Binrev members.

Edited by The Philosopher

I'm fairly confident underground bbses don't exist anymore. Honestly there is no need and things like silc are a much better system for communication as well as being much more secure.

I'm fairly confident underground bbses don't exist anymore. Honestly there is no need and things like silc are a much better system for communication as well as being much more secure.

I didn't know anything like silc existed.

Thanks!

hackcanada has a list up thats fairly recent. check them out. i was trying to start a modem BBS a while back, but i cant afford the extra line right now. maybe when i get out of college. im thinking of maybe getting a telnet BBS up and running though.

But think of the nostalgia! When was the last time you heard modem noise?

I know a few private, underground systems that are still run on the PSTN... Nothing public, though. Assuming you live in the US, why not try the US BBS website @ here?