Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iceni

is there anywhere i can download vista?

11 posts in this topic

i got a laptop with vista partly so i could try it out, but the one i wanted didn't come with a MS dvd, and if i wanted any kind of dvd at all i had to make my own restore cds lol. i love linux so i use that all the time and that's why i got a laptop without a MS dvd.

but, vista is unusable, it's a compaq and came with loads of bloat that i think is helping make it less stable. i thought MS would make it fairly easy to get the vista iso becuause that iso has all the vista versions on so you can upgrade, and they want people to upgrade.

so, is there anyway i can get a vista dvd? i'm not going to use those restore cds i made because it was completely unstable on the first boot.

i got a laptop with vista partly so i could try it out, but the one i wanted didn't come with a MS dvd, and if i wanted any kind of dvd at all i had to make my own restore cds lol. i love linux so i use that all the time and that's why i got a laptop without a MS dvd.

but, vista is unusable, it's a compaq and came with loads of bloat that i think is helping make it less stable. i thought MS would make it fairly easy to get the vista iso becuause that iso has all the vista versions on so you can upgrade, and they want people to upgrade.

so, is there anyway i can get a vista dvd? i'm not going to use those restore cds i made because it was completely unstable on the first boot.

If I remember correctly, MS does not offer any OS for download, in any fashion. I am sure any posting one would lead to a warning and possible ban after moderator discussion. Just be careful everyone ;)

You did ask for the DVD and not a download though, so the answer is : The Store, New Egg, or somewhere else.

Yes, this is a valid question,I guess...but DO NOT REPLY TO THIS WITH WAREZ LINKS! If anyone knows of a valid way to download the files in question, feel free to post it (I do not think there is a way). For all I know, MS might let you download it and without the key, it runs at limited functionality. I don't know.

Can you contact the manufacturer and get it from them? Tell them that your restore CDs are corrupt and they might be able to send a replacement disc for a cheaper price than buying the OS completely.

M$ offers downloads of OS and softwares to Customers that get into the MVLS. "Microsoft Volume License Services"

This is a service offered to Companies with more then 1 machine using M$ products that need access when running M$ as the main OS.

Welcome to Microsoft Volume License Services (MVLS)

Managing your licensing and accounts online!

Agreements:View your agreements, licenses, purchase order and volume keys.

Volume License Keys: Obtain volume license product keys.

Product Downloads: Download software from the Media Subscription Kits and Software Assurance or MSDN Benefit Kits.

Manage User Access: Manage and invite users to manage licensing using MVLS.

Fulfillment Product Offering

Comprehensive Kits

A Volume Licensing Comprehensive Kit contains the latest versions of all the products offered in the Volume Licensing programs. These kits are available in a number of configurations designed to get you more of the products you need and less of those you don’t.

One free Comprehensive Kit (a.k.a. Welcome Kit) is sent to all Volume Licensing customers per the terms of their agreement but additional kits are available upon request. These kits can be ordered from your Large Account Reseller (LAR). Please contact your LAR for price details.
Subscription Kits

In order to ensure that Volume Licensing customers always have the most current products, Microsoft offers fulfillment subscriptions. Subscriptions push newly released fulfillment media to subscribers on the 1st of each month. Note: if no products are released for a specific kit, no shipment will take place. Subscriptions are available in the same configurations as Comprehensive Kits.

Microsoft provides one free Subscription to all Volume Licensing customers per the terms of their agreement but additional subscriptions are available upon request. Additional Subscriptions can be ordered from your Large Account Reseller. For pricing details on Subscriptions please contact your Large Account Reseller.

As I know it is Password protected, and ISOs downloaded need keys that are unique to the company they belong too. Alot of these downloads make it to P2P and torrents, but they keys used are Blacklisted, and it is not hard for them to find out what company they come from, and then it changes up, and or people get fired for misuse.

If I read right, you said Compaq. You can go to the HP site, search for your computer, and order new restore CDs from the company. they will give you some shit about ohh well the restore is made from disc, and it comes with a special partition when the computer is bought. In this case, you will need to either talk a very easy to social online chat associate into giving you a new one in the mail, or order one.

When I bought my tower, it came with XP 64, and I was givin the option to receive the 64 Vista Home Upgrade free. You can maybe tell M$ you never received that disc, or of some other nature. Otherwise ...

M$ offers downloads of OS and softwares to Customers that get into the MVLS. "Microsoft Volume License Services"

This is a service offered to Companies with more then 1 machine using M$ products that need access when running M$ as the main OS.

Welcome to Microsoft Volume License Services (MVLS)

Managing your licensing and accounts online!

Agreements:View your agreements, licenses, purchase order and volume keys.

Volume License Keys: Obtain volume license product keys.

Product Downloads: Download software from the Media Subscription Kits and Software Assurance or MSDN Benefit Kits.

Manage User Access: Manage and invite users to manage licensing using MVLS.

Fulfillment Product Offering

Comprehensive Kits

A Volume Licensing Comprehensive Kit contains the latest versions of all the products offered in the Volume Licensing programs. These kits are available in a number of configurations designed to get you more of the products you need and less of those you don’t.

One free Comprehensive Kit (a.k.a. Welcome Kit) is sent to all Volume Licensing customers per the terms of their agreement but additional kits are available upon request. These kits can be ordered from your Large Account Reseller (LAR). Please contact your LAR for price details.
Subscription Kits

In order to ensure that Volume Licensing customers always have the most current products, Microsoft offers fulfillment subscriptions. Subscriptions push newly released fulfillment media to subscribers on the 1st of each month. Note: if no products are released for a specific kit, no shipment will take place. Subscriptions are available in the same configurations as Comprehensive Kits.

Microsoft provides one free Subscription to all Volume Licensing customers per the terms of their agreement but additional subscriptions are available upon request. Additional Subscriptions can be ordered from your Large Account Reseller. For pricing details on Subscriptions please contact your Large Account Reseller.

As I know it is Password protected, and ISOs downloaded need keys that are unique to the company they belong too. Alot of these downloads make it to P2P and torrents, but they keys used are Blacklisted, and it is not hard for them to find out what company they come from, and then it changes up, and or people get fired for misuse.

If I read right, you said Compaq. You can go to the HP site, search for your computer, and order new restore CDs from the company. they will give you some shit about ohh well the restore is made from disc, and it comes with a special partition when the computer is bought. In this case, you will need to either talk a very easy to social online chat associate into giving you a new one in the mail, or order one.

When I bought my tower, it came with XP 64, and I was givin the option to receive the 64 Vista Home Upgrade free. You can maybe tell M$ you never received that disc, or of some other nature. Otherwise ...

or maybe tell them your little brother wiped out your disk with partition magic or something...

You can try calling Compaq and requesting a DVD, but they may charge you 20 dollars. I know this isn't what you asked for, but likely downloading the disc will be illegal.

http://wfp.microsoft.com/

this is supposed to be a place where you can get free versions of M$ operating systems, but the only reason I know about it is because of a story titled something along the lines of "get vista for free if you let Microsoft spy on you". I dont know any details, but it may activate normally if you give it the key from the sticker on your laptop.

http://wfp.microsoft.com/

this is supposed to be a place where you can get free versions of M$ operating systems, but the only reason I know about it is because of a story titled something along the lines of "get vista for free if you let Microsoft spy on you". I dont know any details, but it may activate normally if you give it the key from the sticker on your laptop.

The Windows Feedback Program is no longer giving out free software. Microsoft lists on the WFP site what information they collect. You get physically mailed the software upon completion of the program.

If I remember correctly, MS does not offer any OS for download, in any fashion. I am sure any posting one would lead to a warning and possible ban after moderator discussion. Just be careful everyone ;)

You did ask for the DVD and not a download though, so the answer is : The Store, New Egg, or somewhere else.

Not exactly 100% true; while Vista was still in beta, MSDN was hosting downloads of it (180 day trials) for over 6 months.

Of course, the beta testing is over, so no more downloads but, they are still hosting other beta software.

Read:Windows Server 2008 and soon Windows Home Server

MSDN Beta downloads

More of the same, MSDN Evaluation Center

Ok, so that's not exactly Vista, but you still may find a valid link online of someone hosting the Vista public beta.

happy hunting

i thought this thread had been deleted!

i got it into my head that MS made the cheapest version of vista so bad that everyone who got it would upgrade, and i though the whole point of the vista iso was MS wanted to make more money from everyone upgrading to a better version, so i thought there'd be loads of vista isos/DVDs. i haven't used windows for a few years so i don't know if the WGA is working or not, but if it works they should be giving vista DVDs away everywhere.

when i got my laptop i knew it would run linux so i didn't care about not getting the vista DVD, but after trying vista and it really not working at all, i just want to try a clean install.

anyway, thanks for the links, i'll check them out.

i'm not sure if i said it already, but i really would never use a cracked OS, i can't even use software if the hash doesn't match up.

There are loads of download locations for Vista. But no one is going to post it unless it is found on a Microsoft site because they would be violating a rule on the forum of posting links to warez(illegal copied/pirated commercial software)