doug

Default Radio to return?

61 posts in this topic

So the idea has been in the works for quite some time. Basically speaking I appear to be one of the few around here that REALLY wants to get people in the swing of phreaking again. To explore shit, scan numbers, find cool shit! Keeping it legal and what not. And at the same time, have a good time and relax. Can I just say that i fucking miss default. And to this day we still get random emails about Default Radio. People i guess still send email to defaultradio@gmail.com and even email shit about default to my personal dougtv.org email.

So basically here's the deal...this is for the true fans.

1) The History of Default Radio

Default Radio had good oldskool content. From Episodes 1-4 it was prerecorded and had a very good list of topics put together. Editing took time, but it was it's own "work of art" Five, five-live, was the beginning of live streaming of Default Radio (back in the CBZone days) then from there on we kept saying it was never going to be live again, up until episode 22 we announced that we were going to be officially on DDP Hack Radio AND RantRadio therefor remaining to be a live show from then on til the final live broadcast, 38. Around ep15 I believe was the first DDP Hack Radio Stream. 23rd was the last episode w/ decoder then from 24-29 RijilV filled in until he quit simply because he got tired of doing it...then I started to help out lucky as a host from 30-38. 38, was a prerecorded show in a studio that was set for a future radio show that never happened, and then we made an announcement that it was the last RantRadio episode and that we would do a show once in awhile, which we never really did. A year later, episode 39, an original pre-recorded episode just like the very beginning days of default... Then a year later as a year 11/11 treat we did Episode 40 with myself, lucky225, and not theory. Royal & avid were also a part of that episode. THat was the last "new" episode. 41 came out long later which was actually (most I guess didn't pick this up) was a lost episode 5 that we never released because decoder and i just weren't happy with it and he decided he wanted to do a live episode with wintermute which we thought turned out better. and after 41 I was finally allowed to release 13.

2) the future of default radio?

So here we are. Is the show dead? or can it be saved. The show held up pretty well from 24-38. Live, with good telephony and default content with supporting hosts. Can we still do it? Is it worth a shot? And do you want to help us? We lost the domain, and a big fat check might be sent in to get it, but default started without a real domain name and we might go the "underground" route again and just have a simple webpage where you can get the show. Obviously RSS feeds are quite popular so we'll probably set something like that up. Should the show be Default? I'd hate to see a good name of a show to go away when we can just continue where we left off. I want to get people back in the swing of things. Who's with us? Permission from the original creators has been given by both parties. Support "kind of" has bene given as well. I can neither confirm nor deny that they will be actually on the show, that's actually still debatable since we all have crazy lives. But thes how has done well without lucky before (when we had decoder + ntheory or decoder + other host) and hte show did pretty good even without decoder (lucky +rijilv, or lucky +doug, or lucky + other host) but can the show do good with (other + other) ?

there is only one real way to find out. do it.

I for one would love to see the show return (with decoder as host). Compared to 2003-2004, the current state of the phreaking scene seems to be dead. A lot of people seemed to have dropped out of the scene as well. No one seems to be doing anything anymore. I think resurrecting Default Radio could help kickstart the phreaking scene again.

Edited by deadwax

decoder's exact quote " I don't give a flying fuck, what you idiots do. "

so i dont think he'll be on the show anytime soon.

I would love to see default radio return in any shape or form. I will PM u with a subdomain you can use if you want for hosting.

Edited by whatthe6666

Default Radio is one of my favorite shows of all time. I really, sincerely love listening to it. Even today.

I feel that there is so much content that could be covered these days. Maybe even more then ever. I personally know that a ton of phone phreaking activity and knowledge goes unnoticed, especially to public communities such as BinRev.

You have my full support in this project. There's no denying that while phreaking is far from dead, the scene does need a kickstart.

I personally know that a ton of phone phreaking activity and knowledge goes unnoticed, especially to public communities such as BinRev.

Indeed. A lot of it seems to be centralized into a small group. I'd say legality and abuse are the two biggest factors that keep people from posting some of the leetest things in the world on a public forum. When you post something on a forum, you're pretty much keeping the intactness of it at the mercy of any idiot who happens to pass by.

Anyway, though, I'd be more happy to co-host and provide content if you need me to. I'll find you a good TDM bridge if they're in short supply, too.

First off, hell yeah. Phreaking isn't dead and never has been. And that would be awesome if you started the show again. I'm still a n00b, but I could probablly contribute cool numbers or something if you needed any.

I personally know that a ton of phone phreaking activity and knowledge goes unnoticed, especially to public communities such as BinRev.

Indeed. A lot of it seems to be centralized into a small group. I'd say legality and abuse are the two biggest factors that keep people from posting some of the leetest things in the world on a public forum. When you post something on a forum, you're pretty much keeping the intactness of it at the mercy of any idiot who happens to pass by.

This is sort of off topic, but I often wonder just how much information phreaks keep to themselves or only share with very close friends. Personally, the biggest thing that I keep to myself is the fact that a certain buisness, with numbers set up across the country, have DISA's, or something of the sort, that can be accessed merely by pressing star on about 1/4 of all their numbers. I have no idea why the hell this happens. And, as I said, I'm still learning a lot about the phone system, so to imagine what some of the more advanced phreaks know is really mind blowing. Collectively, thats a lot of shit.

It just so happens that this certain party company is rather well known for their PBXes letting you dial out without a second thought. I'd urge you to find another diverter -- a certain telephone company monitors these party numbers VERY closely for potential people trying to score free calls, and the person in that company that's in charge of fraud investigations is known to be very malicious.

That, and African-American hacker Lucky225 will cap your ass for using them :P .

Default radio is coming. We need to generate some publicity, get everybody listening again. If anybody wants to use their leet photoshop skills to make something default go for it. also any short video or audio clips, like commercials, I'm sure we can use everything of decent quality.

Awesome, just the other day I put Default Radio onto my iPod before I went to walk somewhere to get something, twenty minutes later i am absentmindedly throwing rocks at a frozen lake :lol: Default Radio FTW ;)

oh yes.

OH HELL YES.

Can you give us a release date?

Be patient young grasshopper. It will be soon. No promises, but, I figure it'll be out no later than two weeks, with the way things are going. or it could be out tomorrow.

First off I have to say. THANKS TO EVERYONE and I mean everyone who has sent in email already. This means alot. And please, send anything more. Whether it's just a comment for us, question, or maybe you want to give us some articles to talk about...keep sending anything. I really appreciate everyone's support. This makes me feel good about doing this. Default Radio 41.1 will be streamed on Default Radio's official stream server <a href="http://listen.defaultradio.net:9246/" target="_blank">http://listen.defaultradio.net:9246/</a> (until we are on other shoutcast networks) Default Chronicles will also be premiering in January too. We will explain what Default Chronicles is on the show.

We do plan on doing Default live officially soon, but for now we're starting off with prerecorded shows like the old days. Again, thank you everyone for your support on the forums and all the support via email. Remember our email address is now 1111@defaultradio.net

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm testing out the AAC codec for the shoutcast server (trying some new things) can people test out the stream for me and see if it works. You should be hearing a 1100hz tone on the LEFT channel and a 440 tone on the right channel. Please test this with winamp, fls, mplayer, anything that should work and works with normal shoutcast mp3 servers. I'd like to know all compatibility issues and see if AAC makes a difference. The reason I'm using AAC on Shoutcast right now is because it it allows me to stream at 64kbps/44100hz instead of only going up to 64k/22.050hz w/ mp3 in stereo and this seems to work best right now for most projects i've been working on right now. I'm using 64kbps until i upgrade the server to more listeners and probably around 128k because music will be played during the day. Currently Default and 2 other shows are suppose to be on this stream server in the future. It was originally designed for local students to listen to music w/ EVDO and computers in their dorms and such.

Edited by doug

oh yes.

OH HELL YES.

Can you give us a release date?

Be patient young grasshopper. It will be soon. No promises, but, I figure it'll be out no later than two weeks, with the way things are going. or it could be out tomorrow.

Just wondering :). I will be patient.

If you've used anything besides winamp, let me know so i know for sure what works.

Will there be more roof trampolines?

doug says to STFU.

I say I'll set it up personally at HOPE.

I'm glad Default Radio is finally able to make a return. This will be a great way to stimulate the phreaking scene and get it active again. Let's all spread the word and let people know to get more listeners.

Just to toss in some fun on the new year

http://www.porticus.org/bell/bell.htm

http://www.porticus.org/bell/longlines.html

and if you wanna really wanna get some old timers perspective

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coldwarcomms/

a lot of microcwave talk but, (warning cranky old(old)-timers who know whats up) but damn do they post some sweet nuggets

via image.