Ed Piskor

Hacker Graphic Novel

35 posts in this topic

To promote this on the internet you need a ware of some sort that can linked to and spread around. Instead of having random sample pages, include the first chapter for free. Or pick out the chapter(s) you think will grab people's interest the most and do that. Then from there you can get smaller sites/blogs/podcasts to mention it then hopefully it will get picked up by some of the bigger sites like digg and reddit. Get people hooked and they'll buy it to see the rest.

Oh yeah, Stumbleupon is a great way to get some exposer quickly. http://www.stumbleupon.com/

Oh yeah, Stumbleupon is a great way to get some exposer quickly. <a href="http://www.stumbleupon.com/" target="_blank">http://www.stumbleupon.com/</a>

Good idea... I just threw my stumbled thumbs up for it... Stumbleupon alread knew of it's existence... so it's just a matter of time before you piss off your server ;)

Edited by PurpleJesus

Thanks for the Stumpleupon thumbs up! And kizzle, thanks for spreading the word a bit too. Some really influential and iconic people in the hacker world have been picking the book up recently. It's pretty amazing since this is a completely grassroots effort relying completely on word of mouth. I can't believe some of the people who ordered the book. It's very exciting. Some popular podcast/vidcasts are going to be doing reviews of the book and I just got contacted by some people from a few major media venues to do interviews and/or they're gonna do a review. Unbelievable.

I'm working hard on volume 2 as I write this and I just thought of something that might be cool, and a way that I can show some appreciation and throw some props to the guys who bought/buy the book. I really value your support so much and its making the next volumes possible!

Here are the first few pages to volume 2

pg_001pdf.jpg

pg_002pdf.jpg

pg_003pdf.jpg

PURPLEJESUS, because you were the most vocal in telling me your feelings after reading the book you can get first dibs on who you want your handle to replace on these pages.

Here's the offer: the first 10 people to buy or who bought the book can send me an email with the subject reading "Handle", include your handle and I will replace the names of the characters in these pages with your own screenname. You can make a request on which character you'd like your name to be attached but the spot may be taken and I'll have to put it in elsewhere at my discretion.

When the 10 slots go for this I will try my best to put the other names elsewhere throughout the book. Your name may appear as a handle for a bbs user, graffiti on a wall, the name on a vanity license plate, etc.

If the orders are staggering I'm going to do the above for as many as possible plus put together a section in the book highlighting and thanking you guys for picking the novel up.

I don't know how meaningful this is to anyone but its my way of thanking the guys who already bought the graphic novel, and maybe it will be incentive enough for you to scoop one up if you didn't grab one yet! I want my audience to be smart, unconventional, tech savvy, people with a hacker mentality and what better way for me to thank you than to drop your name personally in the next one?!

CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR COPY NOW!

My email address is at the site. Write "Handle" as the subject of the email and I will get busy making these changes and I will compile notes on who to include in my tale.

PURPLEJESUS, because you were the most vocal in telling me your feelings after reading the book you can get first dibs on who you want your handle to replace on these pages.

Here's the offer: the first 10 people to buy or who bought the book can send me an email with the subject reading "Handle", include your handle and I will replace the names of the characters in these pages with your own screenname. You can make a request on which character you'd like your name to be attached but the spot may be taken and I'll have to put it in elsewhere at my discretion.

When the 10 slots go for this I will try my best to put the other names elsewhere throughout the book. Your name may appear as a handle for a bbs user, graffiti on a wall, the name on a vanity license plate, etc.

If the orders are staggering I'm going to do the above for as many as possible plus put together a section in the book highlighting and thanking you guys for picking the novel up.

I don't know how meaningful this is to anyone but its my way of thanking the guys who already bought the graphic novel, and maybe it will be incentive enough for you to scoop one up if you didn't grab one yet! I want my audience to be smart, unconventional, tech savvy, people with a hacker mentality and what better way for me to thank you than to drop your name personally in the next one?!

CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR COPY NOW!

My email address is at the site. Write "Handle" as the subject of the email and I will get busy making these changes and I will compile notes on who to include in my tale.

Cool man... cool.. I'll shoot ya an email.

Did you post it on Digg? That would help bringing some attention to the comic. Plus, you could allow people to buy the comic online and read it in - let's say - pdfs, so that they wouldn't have to pay for the shipping.

Hey Kizzle. I have to thank you for spreading the word,man. I'm getting a lot of slashdot traffic over at my site and Jason@Textfiles wrote an awesome review on the book. Check it out here:

ASCII By Jason Scott

I also took the advise of a lot of you guys on the forums here and I have the first half of the book online for you to read. Theres a link for it: HERE

Let us know when you're done with Volume 2 and put me down for a copy.

Hey guys!

Somebody linked to Wizzywig on Digg.com

If you got the book and are into it, I'd appreciate your digg over there! I really thank you guys for all the help in spreading the word on this little project of mine.

"Digg" it over here!