Ed Piskor

Hacker Graphic Novel

35 posts in this topic

I'm a professional cartoonist and have become very interested in hacking/phreaking culture. I don't claim to be a hacker but I've been studying and exploring this really cool world.

Anyhow I put this book together
[url="http://www.edpiskor.com/wizzy.html"]Wizzywig vol1: PHREAK[/url]
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa288/EdPiskor/wizzywig/COVER1.jpg[/img]

I'm [b]exclusively[/b] distributing it from my website and comic fans seem to dig it but I injected so many little references and factual things that are sooo over their heads and it frustrates me. I'm not sure if anybody here is into comics but I wanted to bring my book to your attention. I'd appreciate your support even if it just means spreading the word

Here are some sample pages. The page below has Steve Jobs and Wozniak selling blue boxes while they were finished working as Alice in Wonderland characters at the local mall.
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa288/EdPiskor/wizzywig/pg_052.gif[/img]
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa288/EdPiskor/wizzywig/pg_053.gif[/img]
and here the main character mods a red box
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa288/EdPiskor/wizzywig/pg_095.gif[/img]
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa288/EdPiskor/wizzywig/pg_096.gif[/img]

There are more examples at the site too. I would love your support on this project. There's a lot more story to tell and I'd love to have an audience that would understand the information presented.

[url="http://www.edpiskor.com/wizzy.html"]Wizzywig vol1: PHREAK[/url]

Thanks so much for your time!

Jobs and the the Woz remind me of the Mad Hatter and the White Rabbit.. Who's Alice?

[quote name='PurpleJesus' post='291902' date='Dec 16 2007, 04:05 PM']Jobs and the the Woz remind me of the Mad Hatter and the White Rabbit.. Who's Alice?[/quote]
Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak were working as costume party characters for children birthday parties.

Anyway, the comic is nice, it's also good to hear that people outside of the hacker culture can understand what it's about.

[quote name='PurpleJesus' post='291902' date='Dec 16 2007, 08:05 AM']Jobs and the the Woz remind me of the Mad Hatter and the White Rabbit.. Who's Alice?[/quote]
Angolina Jolie or Carrie Ann Moss. Take your pick!! :lol:

Do you think you guys can give me some idea where I can publicize this a bit?

The main character is a composite of many famous hackers including Kevin Poulsen and I just sent him a copy at Wired Magazine.

Anywhere else that you can think of off the top?

Thanks to everybody who grabbed copies too. I will ship them tomorrow (monday) no matter how crappy it is here in pittsburgh.

Yeah man. I'm sending Emmanuel Goldstein a copy for sure because there is a signifigant character that is based on him. The characters name is "winston smith" for those who get it.

[quote name='C'thulhu' post='291916' date='Dec 16 2007, 11:09 AM'][quote name='PurpleJesus' post='291902' date='Dec 16 2007, 08:05 AM']Jobs and the the Woz remind me of the Mad Hatter and the White Rabbit.. Who's Alice?[/quote]
[/quote]

Hard to choose... I'll go with Carrie... Something about her I just like more...

But it looks pretty cool, the comic. I'd just ordered a copy... Never looked through a graphic novel before, unless you count the Garfield book at the dentist, yet somehow I think, that's not in this league.

I know nothing of comic books.. but I'm giving it a shot...

As to suggestions: Wonder if 2600 would be interested in it? or Make magazine..

[quote name='hexahubris' post='291980' date='Dec 16 2007, 07:14 PM']wasnt he the other dude from 1984?[/quote]

If you are referring to "Winston Smith", he is the main character from 1984. :roll:

[quote name='PurpleJesus' post='291979' date='Dec 16 2007, 07:11 PM'][quote name='C'thulhu' post='291916' date='Dec 16 2007, 11:09 AM'][quote name='PurpleJesus' post='291902' date='Dec 16 2007, 08:05 AM']Jobs and the the Woz remind me of the Mad Hatter and the White Rabbit.. Who's Alice?[/quote]
[/quote]

Hard to choose... I'll go with Carrie... Something about her I just like more...

But it looks pretty cool, the comic. I'd just ordered a copy... Never looked through a graphic novel before, unless you count the Garfield book at the dentist, yet somehow I think, that's not in this league.

[/quote]

Hey Purplejesus...thanks for grabbing a copy. Is the address on your paypal accurate? Please email me and let me know.

Winston Smith is the main character in 1984 btw.

yeah, never read the book, woke up like 3/4 of the way through the movie, didnt know wtf was going on lol.

I'm about to read more on your site - I love what I see so far! The style is very cool, and I'm most definitely down with the rotor phone on the cover.

As for publicizing... you could always throw samples up on IRC. And why not get in touch with local werido stuff? I always peep the Harvard Lampoon for my dose of counter culture. Do you have a street team for when/if you publish? I'm sure comic book store owners would be glad to check it out.

Keep us posted!

[quote name='theMaxx' post='292011' date='Dec 16 2007, 09:19 PM']I'm about to read more on your site - I love what I see so far! The style is very cool, and I'm most definitely down with the rotor phone on the cover.

As for publicizing... you could always throw samples up on IRC. And why not get in touch with local werido stuff? I always peep the Harvard Lampoon for my dose of counter culture. Do you have a street team for when/if you publish? I'm sure comic book store owners would be glad to check it out.

Keep us posted![/quote]
Thanks for the props, Maxx. I did print and publish the book and I'm handling all the orders and stuff myself. Comic fans seem to dig it but I know for a fact that most of it is way over their heads and that's why i'm interested in bringing it straight to everyones attention here myself.

Looking over this forum it became real apparent that you guys would know what I was talking about.

Once again, thanks for your support and for everyone who grabbed a copy over at my site. I really hope you guys dig the book.

Maybe hit up some cons if you can get to them and/or provide some to the cons as prizes for various competitions. Judging from the samples it looks awesome with a lot of good jokes assuming the reader has the background knowledge to understand them.

Contact Malcolm at Trash American Style.
[url="http://www.trashamericanstyle.com/"]http://www.trashamericanstyle.com/[/url]

[quote name='Ed Piskor' post='291993' date='Dec 16 2007, 07:01 PM'][quote name='PurpleJesus' post='291979' date='Dec 16 2007, 07:11 PM'][quote name='C'thulhu' post='291916' date='Dec 16 2007, 11:09 AM'][quote name='PurpleJesus' post='291902' date='Dec 16 2007, 08:05 AM']Jobs and the the Woz remind me of the Mad Hatter and the White Rabbit.. Who's Alice?[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hey Purplejesus...thanks for grabbing a copy. Is the address on your paypal accurate? Please email me and let me know.

Winston Smith is the main character in 1984 btw.
[/quote]

check your PM box.

Just to let everyone know.. I got my copy today... man It was rough getting it out of my mailbox (I have one of those community apartment boxes where they shove shit in easy from the back.. but forget about the frame on my side for the lock door!! but after some pulling and cussing I got it out w/o major damage)

But dude is for real... I have it here in my hands now... Looks good... Ed Piskor is legit. Thumbing through the quality is like the samples we have above from front to back of the book. Looks to be a fun read.

Will let ya'll know what I think about it when I finish it...

Hey Purple-Jesus

Thanks for letting me/us know you got the book. I'm always nervous when shipping stuff. Now I'm nervous about whether you'll like it or not.

Thanks again to everyone who went by my site to scoop up a copy.

[quote name='Ed Piskor' post='292463' date='Dec 19 2007, 11:54 PM']Hey Purple-Jesus

Thanks for letting me/us know you got the book. I'm always nervous when shipping stuff. Now I'm nervous about whether you'll like it or not.

Thanks again to everyone who went by my site to scoop up a copy.[/quote]

I liked it... couldn't put it down. There were moments that remind me of my school days.. phucking bullies.. .. though I never gave a 'perticular' guy a $3000 dollar phone bill... I don't know who had that honor... heh... random wires pulled through a can... heh... 3 day alliance teleconference... heh Maybe someday you could do one where the phreaks are out canning on the side of a hill on a cold country night bathed in the green glow of an old laptop... not that I ever would do such a thing ;) well.. certainly not now...I'd bring a blanket or tarp to hide the light under... heh... We even used the frame wire they left in the can to run down the hill... I won't say were we got the line-thief gater clips.. Doubt the statue of limitation is over on that one... Sometimes I miss being a juvenile.

The guys getting chased after the dumpster diving remind me of when a phellow phreak and I got pulled over by a cop after we raided a dumpster... He never asked why two long haired stoner looking dudes had 5 bags of trash in the back of a 79 Firebird at 11:30 at night.. told me to fix my headlight and sent us on our merry way... Hearts still racing.. but oh man what a rush. btw:if you smell coffee grinds.. leave that one alone.. the smell only gets worse when you find the rotten half-eaten sandwich or that milk carton.

I remember the autodialer from radio shack.. but I was too broke to buy one and build it.. but the cassette tape red box did work like a champ so long as you were on an AT&T payphone. Was a bit phucked when the operator heard the tape started in the middle of a quarter but ya learn.. new tape with longer delay between quarters... not that I would know that either.. ;)

I like it.. Keep up the work man..

If I may make one suggestion... When the mail man put it in my mail box I had to 'fold' it to get it out (small apartment box, wouldn't pass the 'door frame/hinge crap')... could you put the book in the next envelopes you send out so that if it has to be 'rolled' up to get it out.. the spine stays safe? I know it's a minor bitch.. but all's good.

Let me know when the next one comes out...

Phew. Thats a relief. Thanks for the seal of approval, Purple_Jesus! It's a load off of my shoulders. I hope everybody else who grabbed the book digs it too.

There's a few left for those interested!

[url="http://www.edpiskor.com/wizzy.html"]Wizzywig vol.1: PHREAK[/url]

[quote name='PurpleJesus' post='291902' date='Dec 16 2007, 05:05 PM']Jobs and the the Woz remind me of the Mad Hatter and the White Rabbit.. Who's Alice?[/quote]

Alice Robertson (m. 1980, div.) - wife of Steve Wozniak

[quote name='Havoc' post='292751' date='Dec 22 2007, 04:23 AM'][quote name='PurpleJesus' post='291902' date='Dec 16 2007, 05:05 PM']Jobs and the the Woz remind me of the Mad Hatter and the White Rabbit.. Who's Alice?[/quote]

Alice Robertson (m. 1980, div.) - wife of Steve Wozniak
[/quote]

Yeah, I never knew they dressed up as charactors from Alice In Wonderland... So the Woz ended up with a real Alice?? Funny how the world works. & I guess it gives credit to Ed's art skills... Clued me in w/o me even knowing what the hell I was seeing.