Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
canr

Looking for a good desktop/laptop

13 posts in this topic

Can anyone here suggest some specs for a good laptop & desktop. The laptop no more then $600 and the desktop around $200. Any suggestions? I was thinking about building my own computer but is it really worth the trouble or no?

Depends on what you want to do with a laptop/desktop. Just normal surfing the net, checking email pretty much any comp can do that. Just a matter of preference past that (brand/color/size of screen). It might be easier to answer your question, if you mentioned what your wanting to do with it. The general answer/info is if your going to be running V1sta(aero gl4ss) i would get a comp with 2 gigs of memory, if x|p i would suggest 1 gig. Can't really answering anything specs wise other than that, because your cpu/HD doesn't really come in to play when it comes to surfing and checking email. Building or finding a desktop for $200 is going to be pretty hard short of that linux comp that was sold at W4lm4rt for a limited time. hxxp://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7754614 <-- For noobs change the xx to tt in the address. To answer you last question for those people that know how to build computers, it's always worth it to build rather than to buy. Reason being you get exactly what you want and can customize to your like-ing and budget.

Can anyone here suggest some specs for a good laptop & desktop. The laptop no more then $600 and the desktop around $200. Any suggestions? I was thinking about building my own computer but is it really worth the trouble or no?

Despite the declining cost of technology, any laptop under $600 could only be called adequate at best and only functional for a $200 desktop.

Maybe five years ago (probably longer) you could've built a PC for cheaper but, OEMs like Dell and HP and buy parts for a tenth of the cost of retail (making their production cost much lower), so you're probably better off buying from one of them (plus you have warranty options available to you)

Depends on what you want to do with a laptop/desktop. Just normal surfing the net, checking email pretty much any comp can do that. Just a matter of preference past that (brand/color/size of screen). It might be easier to answer your question, if you mentioned what your wanting to do with it. The general answer/info is if your going to be running V1sta(aero gl4ss) i would get a comp with 2 gigs of memory, if x|p i would suggest 1 gig. Can't really answering anything specs wise other than that, because your cpu/HD doesn't really come in to play when it comes to surfing and checking email. Building or finding a desktop for $200 is going to be pretty hard short of that linux comp that was sold at W4lm4rt for a limited time. hxxp://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7754614 <-- For noobs change the xx to tt in the address. To answer you last question for those people that know how to build computers, it's always worth it to build rather than to buy. Reason being you get exactly what you want and can customize to your like-ing and budget.

Although building your own computer allows you to "get exactly what you want" it's rarely ever cheaper. The economies of scale just don't work out that way.

That being said, right now you can buy a Dell Inspiron 531s Desktop for under $400 with a 1 year hardware warranty (just buy/find an old CRT to use with it)

AMD Sempron™ 3600+

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic - English

1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs

250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

48X CD-RW/ DVD Combo Drive

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Integrated Graphics GPU

Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse

56K PCI Data Fax Modem

Of course, there is always eBay too. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Just a quick word of advice about Dell. You know how walmart started sellin dell machines (I believe the inspiron 531 is actually one of the models they offer), well if you go on dell's site and build one there with the same specs it comes out to more than what walmart sells them for. I'm not sure if this applies to regular customers or just the university I work at (we have a contract with dell...that is very bad for us for some reason). A professor wanted this machine (inspiron 531) and from walmart it was ~750 and from dell's site it came out to ~1370 so just beware and do your research first.

I could buy a laptop for 129 bucks and it was brand new and it ran awesome but I didn't :( mayeb I will one day if i can get back to the computer show

Just remember....you always get what you pay for. I have a Dell laptop that I purchased four years ago that has been my primary box and have had very good luck with this one (Inspirion 9200). Then I decided to get another lappy, but opt'd for a cheaper one this time. Let's just say I completely understand the beef alot of people have with the new Dell....I've had to send it off for repairs twice and I still have issues (intermittent column of screen pixels turning green and my headphone jack went out).

If you're looking for a cheaper laptop and do decide to go with a Dell, i might suggest a refurbished one.

If you don't mind possibly having a scratch on the case, that would be the only difference to a new one.

Dell does its own refurbishing so it is as good as a brand new one. This way you can get better harware in the notebook.

You could do this for any company i suppose, but i've actually been looking at dell personally lately.

delloutlet.com

I have recently been looking at the extremely cheap dual xeon workstations on ebay. For around $300-$400, you can get a workstation with dual 36gb 15k rpm hard drives with dual 2.x ghz xeons with 512mb to a gig of ram.

I don't have a lot of experience with server hardware, although its not to much different I believe.

Like what people had said before me. Most companies over price there products, building a machine with the same specs would be a lot cheaper! Ebay usually has some good deals, and good parts. :)

fuck that, just go to newegg if you're gonna buy parts. Do you really wanna get a hard drive in a box? bangin around while the ups guys throw it around in the back of their truck? Don't buy computer parts off ebay to build yourself a new machine, it's really not worth it, if you want to breathe some life into an old pc then go ahead, but don't build a new machine with second hand parts.

fuck that, just go to newegg if you're gonna buy parts. Do you really wanna get a hard drive in a box? bangin around while the ups guys throw it around in the back of their truck? Don't buy computer parts off ebay to build yourself a new machine, it's really not worth it, if you want to breathe some life into an old pc then go ahead, but don't build a new machine with second hand parts.

Lol. UPS is Neweggs primary shipping provider. funny that you bad mouth them and then tell him to use newegg.

Lol. UPS is Neweggs primary shipping provider. funny that you bad mouth them and then tell him to use newegg.

He was more referring to second hand from eBay (e.i. - Somebody elses used parts hence second hand). The horror stories of crap that you get from eBay is unreal. I've never had a problem with newegg at all. I just built my gaming machine from there.

amd 4600+ am2 socket

NVIDIA 7600

1gig ram

Thermal take armor case

600w psu

750gig sata drive

32inch hdtv monitor

etc...

Want cheap customizable pc go with newegg buy it all yourself. Buy the parts when you have the money then piece it all together. Want expensive non-customizable reliability go with a brand name.

The main difference is that brand name components are tested to work together. You dont know if your going to have compatibility issues when you buy it all separately. Downside to brand names is that most components are cheap. Mobo's, PSU's usually go first. I would honestly build it yourself, save money, learn something, value your computer more.

No, what's funny here is that you obviously didn't understand my post. People on ebay don't know how to pack shit. Newegg uses plastic cases for their oem drives, packing peanuts and bubble wrap. Do you really want to leave it up to the discretion of some yahoo on ebay how to pack your drive for your *new* machine? Sure the ups guys are the same, but packaging can really make a difference.