Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wanderer

School Network Help

38 posts in this topic

First let me clear up something. The posts to the definitions I made were simply to offset your "good-boy" hacking definition. I wanted to make the point that the majority of the world thinks of hackers as bad. In my own personal opinion, I look at hackers in two different views:

1. Hackers use their advanced computing and coding knowledge to access normally secure sections of the web or similarly, programs.

2. Hackers also use their computer and hardware skills to further the functionality or add their personal additions to both physical components and programs.

I think everyone can agree that hacking goes both ways, right? And I don't think it should be your responsibility to police that. Instead why not teach him? Maybe he takes the knowledge and uses inappropriately, that's a possibility. But there's also the possibility that it does some good. Maybe he will regret his actions, get caught and never attempt an unethical hack again. Maybe he finds some loop hole in the system and does good by alerting his admin. Or maybe he gets away with it, but it sparks his imagination and he starts learning more and becomes a great "ethical" hacker. The world is full of possibilities and yet you sit here flaming this guy because you are apparently all knowing. Why not just get over yourselves, stop thinking you are such divine hackers and just spread your knowledge?

Note: Again, I'm not trying to start a fight, please take a deep breath and relax before you post something.

definition of hacking:

Unauthorized use, or attempts to circumvent or bypass the security mechanisms of an information system or network.

www.tsl.state.tx.us/ld/pubs/compsecurity/glossary.html

Hacking means illegally accessing other people's computer systems for destroying, disrupting or carrying out illegal activities on the network or computer systems.

www.infosec.gov.hk/english/general/glossary_gj.htm

This term is used to indicate breaking into computers or computer networks by avoiding safety measures. Persons who perform the act of hacking, are called hackers.

english.mediadesign.nl/helpdesk/glossary/

The slang term used to describe illegal access of computer systems by unauthorised users.

www.digital-commitment.co.uk/digital-commitment-glossary-of-internet-terms-h.html

The process of a person trying to break into a secure computer system.

www.angelsoft.org.uk/ictmiddleschool/Double/glossary.htm

Accessing illegally or without authorization computers, accounts, equipment or networks belonging to another party, or attempting to penetrate security measures of another system. ...

www.searcycafe.com/wifiaup.php

I guess I just would just consider you guys coders then, not hackers.

oh, i dunno guys, it seems like he hit the nail on the head with this one...

You're a lying newbie, contorting your story with each post so you don't look as stupid.

Dude you don't have any proof of that. If you've got a hunch then the only evidence you see is that which supports your hunch.

Yeah, he doesn't have any proof of that but considering the fact that the story changes each post he has a pretty good idea of it.

So are you guys going to help this guy out? Or do you even know what to do?

So are you guys going to help this guy out? Or do you even know what to do?

Not the OP's network, I hope once he gets out of high school he learns not to stir shit.

Arrogant NetAdmins are common, hell I work with one, and I'm pretty sure I could show him up on somethings, does that mean I'm going to 'hack his box LOL'? No, I don't want to stir shit and keep my job

First let me clear up something. The posts to the definitions I made were simply to offset your "good-boy" hacking definition. I wanted to make the point that the majority of the world thinks of hackers as bad.

It's kind of arrogant to assume that on a hacking forum we don't have to deal with the definition of hacker versus what people think it means every day. The "good-boy" definition is already offset by the media and propaganda.

well its been nice arguing with you, but I'm need elsewhere, I hope you guys get some balls. good luck gents. ;)

Sorry, I know the thread is old, I was referenced somewhere else here on BinRev. But:

a very powerful SonicWALL and they set it up right. Yet I still managed to achieve unrestricted access to the internet.

Wow! You are so 1337 they gotta revise the definition of it! You actually penetrated a SonicWall and got unrestricted access to the internet!

So lame, I think I'm gonna fall asleep...

Just to throw my two cents in...

To me hacking is like building a high performace car ... you start with what the factory gives you.. Take it apart... rearrange things like jets, rods, heads, suspension etc, and come out with a stronger better faster machine that earns respect on the street.

Hacking is NOT pouring sugar in your neighbor's gas tank.

Just to throw my two cents in...

To me hacking is like building a high performace car ... you start with what the factory gives you.. Take it apart... rearrange things like jets, rods, heads, suspension etc, and come out with a stronger better faster machine that earns respect on the street.

Hacking is NOT pouring sugar in your neighbor's gas tank.

Dude, when I read that right there it made me laugh to tears, of all the defenitions of hacking I have heard, that one is the best.

I am no newbie, and I consider it an insult for somebody to call me one.

May I use this as an excuse to post my real opinion about him since obviously if he is, " NOT a newbie " it bypasses the whole, " Nubie Flaming will not be tolerated! " right?

Also if you have the administrator login to who knows whatever type system it's using first thing you'd want to do is create a 'backdoor' incase he finds out you have this password or decides to change it.

Second thing you'd probley want to do is clear any logs that shows who has logged on to who under what IP, maybe even forge them.

Edited by friendless

well its been nice arguing with you, but I'm need elsewhere, I hope you guys get some balls. good luck gents. ;)

And nothing of value was lost.