Aghaster

Computer Security Jobs

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

I only have one year left before going to university. I was wondering, I really like computer security and would like to go in that field. I've spoken with some programmers here and they told me there weren't many jobs in computer security, and that most of it consisted in managing user rights, patching software, and using a firewall. No big deal. Otherwise what might look interesting is to become a cryptograph, but this requires real good skills in maths. I'd like to know, what are the jobs I could have in mind when choosing my program for university, if I want to go in the computer security field.

Auditor and systems administrator come to mind. (but you'd have to learn system administration for the latter too)

I didn't take any security-related courses at my University. I looked through the syllabus and most of the stuff they were teaching looked pretty elementary so I took courses that I felt I would actually learn something in instead. If you want to become a cryptographer you'll almost definitely need to become a Mathematics major. As for as there not being many computer security jobs I disagree. I know of a lot of consulting firms that are looking for good penetration testers; if you're not good they don't want you and you can bet on getting a quiz during the interview.

You could always enlist in the Geek Squad.

Dunno.. You could look at some companies you'd like to work for later down the road. Call them up and ask them what kind of person/skills they're looking for.

You could always enlist in the Geek Squad.

Dunno.. You could look at some companies you'd like to work for later down the road. Call them up and ask them what kind of person/skills they're looking for.

I doubt you'd need a college education to get hired by Geek Squad and their compensation is probably weak. You could always talk to a headhunter, too.. Best option is to know someone that already works there.. Some firms give out recruitment/signon bonuses..

Edited by duper

I guess you could do freelancing pentesting.

I'm also wondering the same thing.. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but I'm starting at an IT institute next year.

I was originally hired as a software engineer and my job ended up as a security analyst. All I had was five years of hobbyist C programming and security research. No formal education. (I'm currently a freshman in college, so still technically no formal education).

EDIT: if you're willing to relocate, we're looking to hire more people.

Edited by chazzer

Unless you are needing a light brushup on cleaning PC's from Virii, or need the sales experience, do not go to the Geek Squad. Depending on where you live the starting wage is 10-14/hr for CIA, and it does go up from there with the in store boss's at the bigger stores (DCI) getting aroun 20/hr w/ bonuses. But it is not worth it. You could go into the field as a DA or higher (35k+) but from experience most employers see them as a joke no matter what you did or how good you were.

I would recommend getting a job at entry level first for some experience. Most people laugh at help desk techs, but from experience, alot of them know more about what is going on than some of the techs who work in other areas. It does make a good starting point and most of the time does not pay half bad.. but thats my opinion.

..or you could just skip all the bullshit and immediately start eating CISSP's for lunch. They're yummy. :voteyes:

The security field is as vast as the IT field is. There are positions such as ID administration, patch management, and firewall monitoring, but that is just the surface. The best recommendation is to find out what you enjoy the most within IT and focus on it while being aware of the other disciplines. A security administrator will have a well-rounded knowledgebase but should also have a specialty such as programming, network, risk management, etc, but also needs to have the ability to communicate with the management. I have seen a lot of people who think they know a lot and have a elitist attitude. While this may gain respect on forums, management will ignore you and your proposals. The more you can get them to side with you based off of the risks of the company, the more successful you will be.

Like others have stated, ask around. Practice your social engineering skills and go research what companies want (since you are a student you can pretend it is for a paper for school), but understand security has changed over the years and will continue to do so.

Hey Bro,

It sounds like you are a typical middle-class guy who has the freedom, time, and resources to live life to the fullest. This means you are actually going to college for the right reason to evolve yourself to the max. So don't worry about job prospects they will come. If you are into network security and cryptology go for it. And, if you change directions next year or two then go fully into which ever direction you are leaning. A college degree any other way makes it just a piece of paper, albeit, a piece of paper that gets you into doors, but that is the reason why most people, unfortunately, go to college-just for the paper and you don't sound like you want to end up like them. You are going to be working for the rest of your remaining life so it isn't important how much you make but whether you can handle it for the next 60+ years of life (no social security for us...blame our fathers for that one).

And by the way not to knock your vision of the future but the first few jobs out of college you'll probably hate and only use them for stepping stones in the direction that you do want to end up so don't blow your opportunity for 4-years of intellectual bliss because the 4 years after will not turn out the way you think unless you are exceptionally lucky (yes, luck not skill- although that helps)...sorry but that's life in our society.

But to answer your question on security more directly, if you have A+, Network+, Security+ (and maybe CISSP) with a Computer Science, B.S. degree you should be able to force your directin more so than most other (non first-tier schools, eg. Mellon, MIT, Berkeley) C.S. graduates. Better yet, make sure you spend time working on finding an intership somewhere in security and so when you graduate you have an in which can open up more doors than you can imagine.

-----Phail_Saph-----

I was just joking about the Geek Squad thing... I see that as something good if you're in highschool.

As to getting hired.. You never know where a job will come from. I knew a guy who had very basic programming skills and he got hired by some company in Nashville to code software. The apparently tracked him down on a BBS he was frequenting in the early 90's. I wonder how much times have changed?

But don't take my advice.. I'm a plumber and happy that I don't have to think about plumbing when I get home ;)

The security market will be hot for 10-15 years. It's is not going away anytime soon. If you want to travel the world and get paid to hack/crack for a living than get into the security field.

Do your own research, most people are very lazy and don't do shit with their lives and only get what they have in life because mommy and daddy pull strings for them.

You have to love to hack!

You have to be willing to stay up on a system for 24-36 hours non-stop and run multiple systems at the same time while coordinating an attack plan and conversing with people in several languages.

Think GLOBAL security!

Personally speaking,

When i first got out of highschool i knew i had a love for computers and technology. Hacking/Security seemed what i wanted to do so i started with my associates in networking, as networking is a huge part of security. I am currently working on my MCSE and CCNA to get my foot in the door. Basically after all my schooling i have found i dont want to get into security as a Job or Career, i like learning security as a hobby. I would hate it if somebody put pressure on me to do it in the real world. After my MCSE and CCNA im going after my CCSP, and CISSP. Bottom line is i dont want to ever stop learning, but i also dont want my hobby to turn into my job. I could use things i've learned from my hobby at my job how ever. Start with a community college, get your associates or b.a. All the while learn as much as you can see where you really want to go. Then when you've decided where you want to go in a career look for a University that has a good reputation program in that area.

P.S. - Avoid schools like ITT at all costs!!! New Horizon FTW