Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
r4p1d

Laptop for hacking?

31 posts in this topic

I'm looking into buyin a new laptop, I have my mind set on an apple macbook pro, I have a few questions though.

Will it dual boot well? And I havn't researched this a bit, but is a mac the only computer that can spoof mac addresses? What OS should I be looking into, as well as should I go with budget or function?I'm Looking to keep it under 2 grand,so what's the ideal setup? What is a must? And what is a great help to letting me achieve my goal on a formidable laptop, do I need to be more specific on what I will be using it for?

Edited by r4p1d

The MAC in Mac address != Macintosh

MAC is an Acronym for Media Access Control, which is essentially a number assigned to certain pieces of hardware, which is used on some (Transport? I am not sure) layer of communication. Any OS can spoof MAC addresses, some more easily than others (*nixes are the simplest in my opinion)

--

If you want to get a start in Unix-Like systems, then get a good laptop and install Ubuntu Linux on it, and work your way up as you become more accustomed to the way of the *nix. One thing you want to look at if you go this route is hardware compatibility and software compatibility; you need to make sure your hardware is supported under your Operating System, and you will need to make sure that there arn't any apps you absolutely can't do without and have no *nix-compatible analog.

Edited by n3xg3n

Thank you for the reply, would you know if it would be easier to spoof with an actual Mac?

Thank you for the reply, would you know if it would be easier to spoof with an actual Mac?

No. Media Access Control is in no way related to MacIntosh.

Ok, thank you. As when you say unix, I have assumed you were referring to linux based OS's I have yellowdoglinux 5.0 running on my playstation 3 so I have some knowledge of linux (not much, but some) are you aware of abuntu having low requirements, as I might dual boot my I mac to practice with and to become more familiar with/

Linux is designed to be a UNIX look-alike, albeit an extremely popular one. Ubuntu is pretty light-weight, not the most basic, but if Windows NT + runs you shouldn't have any problem. If you need more light-weight try Xubuntu (Ubuntu running Xfce) or Fluxbuntu (Ubuntu running Fluxbox)

The reason i don't say Linux based OSes is because I don't want to exclude you from running another Open Source Unix-like OS, such as OpenBSD (which I run personally) once you feel you have enough experience.

My mac is 700mhz, and has 512mb of ram, along with a 40gig hdd, would that be capable of running windows nt very well? or should I format one of my pc's and start from scratch?-This would be for gaining knowledge in specific OS's before I set my eyes on a certain laptop.

Edited by r4p1d

I would suggest doing it on the PCs if only because I don't think thats an Intel-Mac at those specs and I gave never worked with Linux on a PPC (i know some distros support it, but i have no idea about Ubuntu). You don't even have to get rid of windows (though I suggest backing everything important up) you can set up a dual-boot setup while you practice.

I don't own a dvd burner at the time, do I use live cd to install? Or do I need to aquire the disk?

I don't own a dvd burner at the time, do I use live cd to install? Or do I need to aquire the disk?

Yes, you use the LiveCD to install. When you boot up there is an Install Icon on the desktop. You just need a blank CD and a CD Burner (and the ISO) to do it.

Edited by n3xg3n

Much appreciated, as you have seen my other thread of which code to learn first, I have decided on c++, should I install abuntu before preceding on to learn c++?, or is it not needed as it will make no difference which OS I learn it on?

C and C++ are very platform independent, it shouldn't matter. Some headers will be different (especially for sockets and the like) but in the beginning they are largely the same, and by the time you really need to deal with the difference, you should appreciate the freedom Linux gives you as a programmer ;)

I suppose I will install abuntu on my pc in the morning, but for now I have a question, I had stopped using the pc because aol messed it up, and now I can't delete aol because my fathers password protects me from deleting it (parental controls? I am not sure) is there a way I can delete it? It prevents you from using enternet unless you are logged into aol, and if possible is there a way I can restore it to factory settings? I don't have any disks for it, so this might be a problem.

I suppose I will install abuntu on my pc in the morning, but for now I have a question, I had stopped using the pc because aol messed it up, and now I can't delete aol because my fathers password protects me from deleting it (parental controls? I am not sure) is there a way I can delete it? It prevents you from using enternet unless you are logged into aol, and if possible is there a way I can restore it to factory settings? I don't have any disks for it, so this might be a problem.

once you dual-boot you could mount the Windows Partition and erase the AOL directory in /Programs and Settings/

How do you connect to the internet?

It's not wireless, It connects directly to a modem which is firewalled. I think we have 8mb broadband. You might have to be more specific.

Edited by r4p1d

It's not wireless, It connects directly to a modem which is firewalled. I think we have 8mb broadband.

Ok, just making sure you don't connect through AOL dial-up :P^_^

Aol dial-up? You mean suicide correct? lol =P

I couldn't go through the entire thread, but I did read the question.

Having a Macintosh Based system will undoubtley come with it's pro's and con's.

Firstly Mac OS X (Leopard) is UNIX 3 standard compliance.

It is also POSIX compliant.

Thus it would be a good working ground for you to get your guts into programming design and data structures/algorithms.

However.

Mac OS X is not free software; it is also rather strictly tightened, with the methodologies you are able to use to tweak it.

Being an expert in MACH/XNU would help I suppose.

Eitherway, it wouldn't be hard to dual boot Mac OS X and Windows/UNIX variants.

I'd be unable to suggest any linux distribution, as I no longer run it, simply because I find Mac OS X to be what I require in a desktop OS.

If I were to look into development, I'd hands down run Solaris Nevada.

Good luck in your attempts.

Ok nexgen, I took your advice and installed ubuntu on my other pc, I liked it so much that I erased winxp off of it all together. Ubuntu is amazing. Easy as well, I'm finding the commands to be easy to learn as well. Good recommendation I am enjoying it very much.

Ok nexgen, I took your advice and installed ubuntu on my other pc, I liked it so much that I erased winxp off of it all together. Ubuntu is amazing. Easy as well, I'm finding the commands to be easy to learn as well. Good recommendation I am enjoying it very much.

That's good to hear. I get so tired of people installing it, using it less than a week and switching back because "they cant understand it"

That's good to hear. I get so tired of people installing it, using it less than a week and switching back because "they cant understand it"

Like me.

*waves*

Meh, don't get a mac. They're (Price * 2) = Shiny Mac

Why not just save a crapload of money and get a diff comp, and then Triple boot XP, Any Unix, and Leopard. That seems good.

I actually have a laptop now and 3 desktops which I run windows xp and linux and such on, my next project is building a supercomputer from 7 xbox's.

I actually have a laptop now and 3 desktops which I run windows xp and linux and such on, my next project is building a supercomputer from 7 xbox's.

how the heck do u plan on doing that? :D :D