Dr^ZigMan

Windows PowerShell

11 posts in this topic

So I had to grade a bunch of programs for <expletive deleted> students at school (Don't ask!) but it involved cutting and pasting id numbers etc etc. Well, the standard cmd.exe is a real bitch to copy and paste from so I hit the internet hard and found this...

Windows Power Shell

It's cool in that it does copy and paste similar to the way putty does (Highlight and click type stuff), which made my life a million times easier! I was reading about it and PowerShell also has built in scripting support, works on all xp and later versions of windows, gives verbose messaging (current run directory and the like), and a whole slew of other features. Anyone else ever play with it?

Oh by the way, it's free if you're genuine.

-Dr^ZigMan

This is something Unix has had for a long time... nothing but a cheap imitation.. ;)

This is something Unix has had for a long time... nothing but a cheap imitation.. ;)

Everyone knows that, BSDfan. But frequently, if you're a TA for a class, you're required to grade student programs on school computers, which almost invariably run Windows on the desktops.

Zigman, that's pretty cool. Next time I'm forced to use Windows, I'll probably be putting that to good use.

i haven't used windows for a few years, but i remember there's an option to change the way it cuts and pastes. in the options you select one of the boxes, that's all i remember.

You can enable the same style copying & pasting in the regular cmd.exe by clicking the icon on the top left, then selecting Properties -> Options -> QuickEdit Mode, and Insert Mode. It still does the weird rectangular select thing though..

I read about Powershell years ago when it was one of their big .net Longhorn features. There was a lot more to it than a slightly improved interface, but I don't remember it all that well. Something about .net applications and advanced pipes using objects and such instead of text. I saw a demo of it, it was doing some pretty cool stuff. Anyone know how much of this stuff actually made it into the release?

if you're a TA for a class, you're required to grade student programs on school computers, which almost invariably run Windows on the desktops.

And therein lies the rub! :)

Upon further investigation, I've found out that the admins at school have actually installed it on many of the lab computers. It seems they use it for automation of installs and remote administration!

Apparently it's a lot more popular then I thought.

-Dr^ZigMan

Yeah, Powershell is advertised to Administrators so that they can automate as many tasks as possible. It also allows you, as far as MS allows that is, to do system programming with it so that you can create your own commands and tools.

For those of you who want it, I have attached Powershell for Windows XP WindowsXP_KB926139_x86_ENU.txt and Server 2003 WindowsServer2003_KB926139_x86_ENU.txt. It's free. I just uploaded it for convience sake and so it isn't warez. Just right click and save as. I've also attached a very well written book on more than just the basics SAPIEN.Press.Microsoft.Windows.PowerShell.TFM.Jan.2007.txt.

By the way you have to change the extentions on the files from .txt to .exe for the shell applications and from .txt to .chm for the book. It appears that the security on this forum is Allowed Only rather than Disallowed Only for attachments. The changing of .exe to something else like .exx or anything else like you do for Google and other email services doesn't work here. I had to explicitely label it .txt. This is the first time I have uploaded to the forums here so if someone else has done this 'hack' before good for them if not we now have a 'hack' for forum's file attachments.

When will they learn that upload screeners are a pointless diversion. The only way to fully screen a file is to read the beginning of it and as we all know from assembly language, executables have a destinct paragraph signature. Checking like they do for extentions, after the upload (or why else does it take so long) is grossly inefficient.

-----Phail_Saph-----

Hmm.. I wonder if it's possible to use this with Cygwin.. :devil:

This is something Unix has had for a long time... nothing but a cheap imitation..

nooo, microsoft wouldnt do such a thing.