blackhatt

How did you learn?

25 members have voted

1. 1. where do ya fit in?

• White hat
    • Black Hat
    • Gray Hat
    • I don't wear any fukking hats.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

69 posts in this topic

IMO like playing sports hacking cannot be taught out of a book or in a class. Technologies can be learned but hacking is original out of the box thinking that can only come from within one's self.

It was a combination of self taught/mentoring. I will never stop learning though. KNOWLEDGE=POWER :ninja:

it was a combination of me teaching myself and being taught by my dad but of course being a farm boy i've hacked many things other than tech. Of course we call it jerry rigging.

Got a Vic20 for xmas when I was 8 and started copying programs out of books... by the time my bday came around in july i was writing my own programs (recipe manager for my mom that she never used once) and was asking for a better machine... this was 25 years ago!!

:o:roll:

I don't think I qualify as knowing how to hack. I pick up 2600, listen to talks from HOPE and DEFCON, lurk around here, and poke around my computer at home and the ones at work (just a little bit). Learning a lot, but not enough to earn a title.

also one of the best ways to learn about network security is to setup your own network at home, different configurations with routers, firewalls, segmented networks, wired and wireless hosts, etc. im really into wireless networking so i setup different wireless networks and routers at my own house so that i could see exactly whats happening on both ends when youre trying to crack WEP/WPA or access a restricted wireless network. this is also helpful because it will give you a better understanding of how different wireless network security tools work, and how to use them more effectively.

Although he is banned... Fascinating idea ^_^

I think i can trace it all back to middle school, to halo pc (which i played way too much of). one day, I joined a server and some strange things started happening. I learned the server was running a modded map, and found halomods.com, where i started to learn some basic modding (or if you like, "hacking"). started by changing projectile offests with a hex editor following tutorials (XFD ROCKET SHOTGUN), then used some of the tools when they came out, like sparkedit. i tried to get into mapmaking when they launched halo custom edition, but my attention turned to other things. I remember a drummer in the marching band at the time directed me to hackthissite.org, and i toyed around on there for a while. from there, i dicked around on computers whenever i got a chance (mostly school). I took the computer courses at my school and met probably the best tech teacher I've ever met, and took cisco courses under him. He was practically a guru for me, but I couldn't learn everything from him, so I turned to the internet and started reading all sorts of material. Somewhere along the way, i picked up some linux, and got into C++ programming. buying books has been very informative, and I own quite a few; hacking exposed, O'Reilly's practical C++, linux for dummies (which I regret), and counter hack. I've also got an old college textbook on AI lying around i got for free from a high school programming teacher, but I haven't opened it in a long time. i'm sure it's got something interesting in it, but i haven't the time or experience to read it yet.

and as for the "you're born a hacker" crowd, i disassembled (& reassembled) my big wheel when i was 4 after my dad gave me all the wrong tools to do so. does that count?

Well while I'm still learning, what information I've gleaned so far has been self taught. I can attribute my interest in technology to both my father and a lot of the people that I hung out around at his work. I remember him telling me about when he used to fix typewriters and how when he came across a problem he would have to make the tools he needed to fix it out of whatever he had access to, and as a child that was an inspiration to learn to solve problems more than to rely on solutions that may or may not be available.

For the most part it was self taught, but I had a friend who was learning at about the same pace as me and we bounced ideas off each other and encouraged one another to learn more.

ok I saw one of you posted that all the real hackers are self thaught, I think it's not true, I mean I'm not a hacker, I want to be one, and I jsut started, I don't know any programming language, only thing I know is basics, and everyone started learning at age of 2-3 , before I readed it, i thought I was smart, because I could add 1000's and I was pretty good at it, and now I think that I rly sucked, well anyways I want to learn, and I will, one day I will be a HACKER! yeyy lol :D

i think i started with scamming (social engineering) for passwords and stuff on IM and runescape, which i learned about tsearch then moved to cain and abel, then that opened up all kinds of shit, like nmap, nessus, linux, which led me to hackthissite.org which led me to application challenges and realistic challenges and metasploit and now im learning asm, mostly just the reverse engineering aspect of it, so i can fuzz and debug vulnerable services, then make my own exploits in metasploit and it delivers the payload cause its so 1337, and BAM!....did i mention i played runescape at one point in my life lol? also in there somewhere i made websites for people that were dynamic (php!) and tested that for all kinds of injection problems (POST and GET), also instead of cain, i just put in linux and overwrite the hashes in the SAM file with a nothing hash...lol who needs brute forcing when you have OVERWRITING!

by the way while i was in my hackthissite stage, i got these skiis labeled 1337 on a ski trip, i was like HOLY EFF cause i was just talkin in 1337 sp33k for so long then, omg the extacy was like doin a J turn in your moms car

Edited by Dooms_day

For me it all started with "hacking" the password for my own pc back when I was around 10 or 11 years old.

My godfather donated me my first pc with an annoying timebased logon script which had a password to logon

outside the predefined times. The script was written in pure basic and did run without compiling. Therefore

the password was wirtten in plain text in the file (which was called something like logon.bas). This was not a

very big start, but it brought me into it. Shortly after I started learning basic for fun and, maybe 3 or 4 years

later, switched to Delphi. That helped me when we started programming at school another 3 or 4 years later,

but made it also very boring. So most of the time I coded more in VB.net (which was way more interesting

than the older versions), because I thought it was stupid to code in an extremly old version of Delphi (at least

they could have used Delphi .net or 7 instead of 4). Since that time the only thing beside coding I did was

testing the security of our school network, circumvent the printer authentication and tell our "admin" that

everything he changed to make the network safer made at least 2 new exploits possible...later he changed to

linux servers controlled by some pupils because he couldn't get along with it :D

Since I would not count the lessons at school as very informative to me, I count this as learnign by doing ;)

Btw.:

@Dooms_day:

While reading your post I had a déjà vu...

I'm very sure that i have read that story some time ago.

//edit:

Your ski story found its way into my long-term memory *shit*

http://www.binrev.com/forums/index.php?sho...c=36991&hl=

Maybe you should stick to doing J turns in your moms car ;)

And sometimes its better to get a password than to override it.

It's much less obvious and if the drive is encrypted it makes life much easier.

And not to forget the people who use only 1 or 2 passwords for everything on the net...

Edited by Renegade

How does a 2 year old hook up a computer and stay up to read manuals after their parents have gone to bed? I'm not trying to flame, but that seems very unlikely as most two year olds aren't even potty trained let alone reading computer manuals. I started learning by reading forums and ebooks mostly. That's how I still stay updated most of the time!

I stumbled upon a BBS in 1984 called "The Screaming Electron" and from that time on i have been reading, listening, reading, writing, reading, oh and did i mention reading ? with quite a bit of practicing as well.

I sort of started out by reading different articles on forums and off course used the all knowing page called "google"... From there i developed by reading books and started to learn some basic programing languages. Still think I know way to little and thats why I joined here, to expand the horizon of hacking and computing in general!

I'm not really a hacker but I'm learning and I really really like it.

But sometimes is difficult to learn by yourself. :unsure:

well i started just last year i loved how much information was on the internet and you could basically learn anything you wanted, it started with online games and trainers then i wanted to learn what made them work and what else can be done etc so i googled hacking and found hackforums.net from there i learned HTML and java and anything else i could but honestly i think i prefer helping people with computer problems and security and I'm getting more and more interested in SE and psychology

Edited by Jagn

My experience probably pales to quite a few of you. I sure hate to submit a long winded response because it will probably be uninteresting to everyone else, but here goes.

In the eighties I got my first computer. It was an IBM PC Jr. and it had an 8088 processor (8-bit external data bus), 64K of RAM, and didn’t even have a hard drive. It had two large floppy drives, one for the OS and one for saving data. It came with GW Basic and I really enjoyed playing with that. Sadly, I didn’t save the PC when I was done with it. I traded it in for my next PC.

My next PC was an IBM PC/AT with a 286 processor and a 300 baud modem. A few of my friends started beige boxing in order to access BBS systems that were long distance. I found out what the BBS systems were about and I got hooked on the ASCII text based games. Eventually, I conned my parents into letting me have my own phone line to start my own BBS. I started with Spitfire software and then eventually moved to Renegade to run the BBS. Now my friends and I could play ASCII games from home. “They” really only used beige boxing for Gopher and e-mail at that point.

I attended two 2600 meetings in the early nineties, but wasn’t really able to continue because I didn’t have my own car back then. I could only go when my friends were not grounded, which seemed to be constantly.

I was fascinated by social engineering, and so after high school I pursued a degree in psychology. Since I wasn’t legally able to drink yet I had also pursued interest in homebrewing beer. For some reason, no one had any concerns selling beer ingredients to a minor. I received my college degree in Psychology (and should have received a minor in beer consumption), but found the job market didn’t pay what I thought it would. After auditing an electronics class for fun, I was motivated again and I went back to college to pursue a second degree in Information Technology (with an emphasis in Software Development).

So here I am now, two college degrees and eleven years of software development work experience later and I am still learning every day. I constantly look to plug exploits at work, play with electronics at home, still brew beer, and design and weld funny contraptions to brew with. Currently, I am studying for the CISSP. After playing with networking for a few years, I have had a renewed interest in network security. The knowledge is interesting and security seems so different and much more complex than what I remember.

I try to learn what I can about technology, and play with what I don’t know. It seems the more I learn, the more subjects open up and the more I realize the volume of what I still need to learn. I guess Socrates quote of, “True wisdom lies in knowing you know nothing” holds true. Technology seems to be a fascinating constant supply of new information, which is just fine for me, because if it wasn’t I would have been bored with it long ago.

I am still and always will be learning. My uncle taught me the very basics when i got my first computer and if it wasnt for him I would probably have a life. I have been learning from experience and online sources. I have only been around computers since like 2001 but I know I could have learned much more if I only had self discipline which I lack greatly.

Does anybody know any good sources to learn C++? I had an ebook once but I lost it after my drive failed.

you problly dont need it anymore but their is a guy on youtube that puts it very clearly search him up his account is http://www.youtube.com/user/antiRTFM

I am still and always will be learning. My uncle taught me the very basics when i got my first computer and if it wasnt for him I would probably have a life. I have been learning from experience and online sources. I have only been around computers since like 2001 but I know I could have learned much more if I only had self discipline which I lack greatly.

Does anybody know any good sources to learn C++? I had an ebook once but I lost it after my drive failed.

you problly dont need it anymore but their is a guy on youtube that puts it very clearly search him up his account is http://www.youtube.com/user/antiRTFM

Very nice dude!!:)

He started for the beginning but i think that the quality of the videos is very poor!!

zx81 for birthday present, when it was new out, which means the bleach hides some greys now.

Time passes......

zx81 dies from dodgy soldering now wearing a homemade external keyboard, ram chip piggybacking the char rom so it could do udg's and of course more memory. And Id learnt z80 because you had to really.

Then on a journey of nondescript weird 8 bit computers including the vic and 64's, 6502 followed, then paper round'd for my first amiga, a early a500,68000, the demo scene as a coder, pulled a few things apart to see how they worked etc like everyone did. Made some crap games, got ripped off by game industry meanwhile discovering bbs's and then being in the uk having to learn about phone dial tones and stuff to be able to call the hardcode ones in the states.

Then got into ham radio, lots of homebuilt stuff, rtty rigs, amtor, some ax25 on a AEA tnc then onto this funky new fangled stuff called tcp and a baycom, only over radio. Then "the internet" arrived to the general public, and I discovered efnet, eggdrop, tcl scripting, splits and smurfing etc, which I still miss for all its chaotic anarchy. Then linux and shell accounts naturally followed.

You dont ever stop learning. And Im going to carry on growing old disgracefully :wink:

I'm still learning. I just recently starting teaching myself.

self-taught. college educated in general, but pretty much taught myself everything about programming, hacking, and security.

To be clear, when I say "self taught" that included a lot of help and research from sites like this.