phreakmac

Snif Snif AT&T calls it quits

39 posts in this topic

From the site: AT&T -- or whatever company it is that's going by that name these days -- has decided to pull the plug on its pay phone business, over 100 years after the first coin-operated model was installed in Chicago.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/03/atandt-...its-pay-phones/

I knew it was going to happen i just didn't think they would be killing them this quick.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooo.................................

R.I.P AT&T Payphones...

T_T

I am so disgusted with AT&T! First they get rid of nationwide ACTS service for long distance calls, forcing ILECs to implement new payphone routing methods. Next they put a restriction on toll-free calls from payphones and landlines from their automated operator service respectively. Then they get rid of all their time numbers; a very important resource to many citizens. Now they want to just throw away all their payphones altogether? That's a lot of payphones considering they bought out the majority of the telecommunications industry. Say goodbye to a very important public resource. When will this madness end?

First the time numbers, and now this?

This is fucked up... :glare:

I've always tried to like AT&T because of a lot of cool things they offer, especially payphones. I find myself liking them less and less because of things like this, though. Isn't there *anything* we can do to make them reconsider their decision? A petition, perhaps? Encouraging others to use payphones? If I was in AT&T territory, I'd be pumping as many quarters as I could find into one.

Seriously -- I actually ditched my cell a few years back in favor of payphones

there has to be tens of thousands of pay phones here in the states. what are they going to do with them all...

Auction them off.

I might as well go steal some now and save them the trouble.

I take it , a lot of you haven't heard the story of Qwest and it's payphones? According to a lot of places, they sold off *all* their payphones to a company called FSH Communications in 2004. This is true, but from what a friend of mine in the Washington state area tells me, you'd never really know it by looking at one. There's hardly any mention at all of FSH on the instruction cards of both ACTS and Millenium phones. Aside from the instruction cards, the Milleniums say 'Thank you for using FSH communications' on the LCD display when you place a call, but that's about it. Local and long distance operators still go to Qwest, ACTS phones still act like any old ACTS phone, and everything.Given that it's a little hard to convert 65,000 payphones into COCOTs, I think it's likely that AT&T's phones may undergo a similar fate. At least if they find a customer willing to buy such a large amount of phones.

Here's a picture of one for reference; http://www.yapl.org/phonedetail.php?id=415

[...] from what a friend of mine in the Washington state area tells me, you'd never really know it by looking at one.

Would that be me, by any chance? :)

Wow, it is a sad for pay phone users everywhere.

On the bright side, everyone and his dog will be able to purchase their very own pay phone now.

One can't help but wonder if this will lead to a rise in COCOTs, with their dial-up modems....

Back when I started phreaking in the 1980s, I used to scout out payphone locations to find actual phone booths instead of the pedestal mounts that were become popular at the time. The best was when you could find an old indoor booth that had a bench and table you could sit at and put your notebook down on. Payphones were truly a totally anonymous means of phreaking.

I guess I'll have to drive into Verizon territory now to use one, or scout out the remaining COCOTS in this LEC.

I take it, my last post didn't really reach anybody, did it?

EDIT:

The best was when you could find an old indoor booth that had a bench and table you could sit at and put your notebook down on.

I actually found a huge load of those at an art museum on one of my many visits to DC. I scouted around the building, and found about a total of fifteen in booths, not counting those just mounted straight up to the wall or anything like that. When you're in one, you really start to feel like you're standing inside the phone network or something, it's really a great feeling.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

Wonder how hard it would be to get a fortress fone?

You need the proper hex bolt kit, or a drill and a flathead screw driver. Send me a pic of said phone and Ill figure out the exact sizes.

Wonder how hard it would be to get a fortress fone?

You need the proper hex bolt kit, or a drill and a flathead screw driver. Send me a pic of said phone and Ill figure out the exact sizes.

Love too but I haven't even seen a fortress fone in this town in years... They are all drive up ones now.

Now it's happening here om Dallas - a COCOT company has been taking them over.

I'll be the first to say it - Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Qwest sold all their pay-hoes off a few years ago, but they're almost all still branded Qwest.

For all of you in at&t territory, how have the payphones changed as a result of this? In my area (northern chicago suburbs), maybe half of at&t's payphones have been removed, and the other half have been bought by Pacific Telemanagement Services. They're still CO controlled phones, and local calls are still handled by the same ACTS.

That's the same thing happening out here. I wouldn't say half the phones are gone, but yes more have been removed recently. The same company has taken them over here too.

who even cares about payphones anymore. who the hell even uses them. shit i havent even had a home phone in over 9 years.

who even cares about payphones anymore. who the hell even uses them. shit i havent even had a home phone in over 9 years.

Live near a megacity. You will be surprised. Plus they are just cool to use just like all abandon technology. I consider it to be one of the staples of being a phreak/hacker/tech person IMO.

This is good news for me because I always wanted to scalp a Pay Phone and convert it to my land line. Awesome! :3

Plus, as long as exploitable Verison goes out, I will continue to mess with the system and make all the Goog411 calls I want. B)