Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jstar

Scanning Implications?

10 posts in this topic

So have been reading through 2600 for ever and have been looking at articles but I have never done anything related to phreaking. I just am wondering what kind of legal implications you can face for things such as wardialing etc. Anyone have anything I should know? Im not asking for ways to get around any of these, I am simply asking for educational purposes if there is anything I should be aware of.

The only advice I have to offer is not to do too much scanning thru a VoIP provider because they can easily detect it and terminate your account without notice. Scan randomly just to be safe. There is (or was) a law in the state of Colorado that says it's illegal to place a telephone call without the intent to communicate.

Generally, most long distance carriers don't give a shit what you do, so long as you pay for it. I've heard MCI will get pissed off if you scan and suspend your account, but scanning generally doesn't have many, if any at all, laws against it in most states, unless you live in Ohio or Pennsylvania. Wardialing on the other hand, is something you might want to look into, though -- I've heard that it's a bit less forgiveable from the eyes of the law.

Thanks alot, both of you, for the quick replies. Im actually not in the US, I am in Canada. Anyone know of any laws? or know of a way to find out?

Generally, most long distance carriers don't give a shit what you do, so long as you pay for it. I've heard MCI will get pissed off if you scan and suspend your account, but scanning generally doesn't have many, if any at all, laws against it in most states, unless you live in Ohio or Pennsylvania. Wardialing on the other hand, is something you might want to look into, though -- I've heard that it's a bit less forgiveable from the eyes of the law.

What's this Pennsylvania law that I'm not aware of?

I thought SIP h4x1ng was all the rage nowadays =D

voIP = fun fun! Just don't get caught. Scanning isn't illegal, as long as you don't have an unauthorized listening device (EG. a scanner with the block taken off). Most of the Phreaking from the 2600 days is long since passed... So if you want some legal advice maybe be a little more specific as to what types of things you are looking to do? (free phone service, wiretap, etc).

Scanning isn't illegal, as long as you don't have an unauthorized listening device (EG. a scanner with the block taken off).

The original poster is referring to exchange scanning.

What's this Pennsylvania law that I'm not aware of?

I believe "The Weekly Wardial" by hbx.us was stopped due to a Pennsylvania law that loosely stated, as signull said, that it is illegal or punishable somehow if you place a call without the intent to communicate. Your intent to communicate is hard to prove when you have a modem randomly (or sequentially) dialing thousands and thousands of numbers.

Scanning isn't illegal, as long as you don't have an unauthorized listening device (EG. a scanner with the block taken off).

The original poster is referring to exchange scanning.

That I am. I am just curious to see what is out there. Not so curious though that I want to have any legal issues.

What about sequential dialing?I'm not sure if this information would be useful, but I'm on an ATT 5ESS switch in the 847 (IL). Any extra information about sequential dialing would be very helpful.