Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
binary_lulz

using tor with terminal

6 posts in this topic

Is it possible to use tor for what I do via terminal (pings, nmap scans, lynx browsing etc)

I'm running OSX 10.4, I have torbutton in firefox and that vidalia app.

Do you know of any good TCP/IP or networking in general books for the layman? I mean I know the basics: What's a packet, an IP, a port, but the intracacies escape me. I tried reading the RFCs pertinent to this sort of thing, but they were way above my level.

Read TCP Illustrated, it will tell you everything you could ever want to know about how tcp works.

I haven't tried it on a mac but quite a few terminal apps can be used with tor by using torify. Like if you wanted to telnet to a host while using tor you would run 'torify telnet somehost'.

Do you know of any good TCP/IP or networking in general books for the layman?

Depending on how deep you want to go Unix Network Programming is a fan-frickin-tastic book that can show you just about everything you need to know about sockets as well as how to code them up. Also included are more then just the TCP/IP Protocol, such as ICMP, UDP etc etc. I bought it about three years ago and then it ended up being the textbook for a grad class! It's a little pricey but such is life.

Also, as for tor, you can preface commands with torify <command> and it will automagically handle the tor networking for most things.

-Dr^ZigMan