Cusefan14324

Help with my computer..

7 posts in this topic

Ive had this computer since 2000.. its running 98 windows and everything is wrong with it.. Does anyone know anything about the following stuff:

I get this icon on the bottum right and contiously has "system alert" pop outs out of it..

When i boot it up i get all these proccess thaty startup with it like rundell32, spoolv.exe, ismain.exe (somthin like that)

I get these spyware pop ups like every 2 minutes

if i bring up internet explorer it takes about 10 minutes

its unbelievabley slow, ive seen slow but nothin like this

but what pisses me off most of all.. it randomly shuts down when it wants to wihtout warning

Im pretty sure its spyware and all that crap.. Does anyone know anything specific about my problem.. like exactly wat it is.. or how i can go about fixing it without paying anything.. Or if there is any use in fixing it, like its not gonna get any better and its un-fixable? Any information on whats wrong or how i can fix it would be wonderful.. thanks

</posting from a different computer>

Simply put, if you are infected with malware you will want to reinstall as most will have hooks into the operating system that are nearly impossible to remove or better yet like Vector said go get a Linux distro and install that instead.

Backup what you want to keep, scan it for viruses (with something good, like nod32), then format & install linux....or if you must, Windows 98 SE (If you can't install XP Pro SP2) and be sure to install a firewall, at least.

Windows 98 had a running life of about 3 months before it was unusable. Forget malware, normal use would trash it. Before win2k when most people in the know abandoned the Win9x ship, you had to keep an extra partition or hard drive with norton ghost and a clean install. Every few months, back up your stuff and go for a clean install. It was the only way to get any sort of use out of the OS without pulling your hair out.

Ditch it. Windows 98 is a patched up version of Windows 95, which is a 32-bit hack on a half-assed 16-bit operating system. There are so many layers of failure it's hard to think that at one time it was the "best" option for Windows users. In some cases NT4 was a good choice but it had its own problems and a lot of them. Just get rid of it. There's no reason to be running it at all. And as for fixing it, fixing it is almost never the answer. With a machine that utterly fucked, I wouldn't even consider fixing it, it's a reinstall job. You could spend hours trying to fight all the malware off that thing only to have Windows die on you before you're finished. Reinstalls are easier, faster and guarantee results.

Edited by Ohm

Simply put, if you are infected with malware you will want to reinstall as most will have hooks into the operating system that are nearly impossible to remove or better yet like Vector said go get a Linux distro and install that instead.

Telling someone to convert and actually being the person converting are two different things. Most professionals will work with what they are given. Asking him to install a distro of linux is a task in itself. It's rather uneducated and ignorant to just throw a suggestion like "lol download and install a linux distro" basically because that may create more problems than the original one.

Basically, back up all your data you think is important (make sure it's not infected by scanning it), and then reformat. It sounds like a malware problem. Like they said, most malware will bury itself so deep a reformat is usually the safest route.

As for my take on Windows 98, I have found it to be more stable than any version of the 9x or NT OSes windows released. I have never, ever had a problem with it and only reformatted once in it's career of use. Spyware rendered the operating system useless, and I had to reformat.

Edited by deadc0de

Well what you should do is buy yourself a new computer since it's xmas time and they are cheap right now. back up all your importand data you want to save plus also scan them before placing them on your new computer.

Save that old win98 computer and us it as a second computer running linux. That will help you down the road if you ever want to get into security or h*cking...

Good luck.

I still keep a dos6.22/98se box to play classic videogames (redneck rampage, Rise of the Triad etc) and it is a pretty stable box. Yeah, I could run dosbox , but some games have issues with it. Plus lots of my clients still have it and it helps to stay familiar with it.

I would agree with deadc0de, telling him to install Linux or get a new PC may not be a viable option for him.

A wipe and reload would be the best way to go , but he may not have the original install disks, plus reinstalling 7 years worth of programs could be worse than the cure.

If you want to try save the install , try this.

Of course , backup any imprtant data , as removing some of this stuff can possibly render your system unbootable.

The descrirption sounds like vundo or smitfraud to me , download these and boot into safemode.(F8 while booting)

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/VundoFix.shtm

http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix.exe

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Run all of these , each in order. There will be much rebooting. Go into safe mode each time.

Then run a virusscan. Also is safe mode. Clamwin is free and effective. As is AVG free.

If you continue to get popups you can post a hijackthis log to forums on the following sites:

www.bleepingcomputer.com/

http://www.castlecops.com/forums.html

They can help more than this forum. Good luck.