Hacker faces 15 years, $500,000

15 posts in this topic

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/crime/story...p-9396960c.html

As we all know, links go down, so here's the text from the article:

Hacker faces 15 years, $500,000

Anchorage Daily News

Published: November 29, 2007

Last Modified: November 29, 2007 at 03:19 AM

A man accused of hacking into his roommate's computer and stealing from her retirement account has been charged with computer fraud and identity theft, the U.S. Attorney's office said Wednesday. Anchorage resident Vern Martin Coyner, 52, is facing up to 15 years in prison and a fine of $500,000 if convicted of using his former roommate's computer passwords to log into her Vanguard retirement account and transfer the money to an E-Trade account he opened.

He is also accused of obtaining and using a credit card in her name by using the stolen personal information, according to the U.S. Attorney's office.

Seems like an awfully loose definition of "hacking" if you ask me ... I can neither confirm nor deny any special knowledge of the specifics of this case, but experience says that 52-year-olds generally have their passwords securely taped to their monitors. It's a crime, sure - just not sure I'd call the alleged perpetrator a "Hacker". :-/

-ArchAngel

Thats not hacking, thats Identity Fraud and Theft.

There's a big difference.

I thought we were called "cyberterrorists" these days, jeez, they'll never get it right.

That sounds more like embezzlement then it will ever be "hacking".

It seems, as far as the media is concerned, if there's a computer in the same city, hackers did it.

You guys must've missed the boat where they murdered the term hacking and turned it into a dirty word.

The media uses it to drag attention and causes unreasonable fear. "Kid with a keylogger and a how-to guide" doesn't sound as good as "A rogue hacker".

You guys must've missed the boat where they murdered the term hacking and turned it into a dirty word.

The media uses it to drag attention and causes unreasonable fear. "Kid with a keylogger and a how-to guide" doesn't sound as good as "A rogue hacker".

Oh! I get it! Hacking is good for ratings, and ratings is good for ad-revenue.

So for the love of $ they will screw anyone. Whores.

Seems like an awfully loose definition of "hacking" if you ask me ... I can neither confirm nor deny any special knowledge of the specifics of this case, but experience says that 52-year-olds generally have their passwords securely taped to their monitors. It's a crime, sure - just not sure I'd call the alleged perpetrator a "Hacker". :-/

-ArchAngel

I resemble that remark, I keep my passwords on 1 big sheet of 8x11 paper folded under my keyboard, It comes with the introductory kit when you join AARP. They also give you an extra medium point bic pen so you can write them down in extra big letters. It helps with my bi-focals :lol:

I was just thinking how true it is how the media uses the word "hacker" to draw attention. I rember before i knew anything about hacking I would sit through the 30 min news program just to hear about some "rouge hacker" that did somthing.

Edited by Eater of PIE!

i think it is stupid almost like saying kevin mcnick did something really bad to deserve the prison sentance just for social hacking. Only this is on a smaller scale the media are just scared of people who know more about they do on the computer field. Whatever happened to the term hacker just meaning someone who makes something do something it is not meant to. But it really does sound like a keylogger or that guys room mate was well too personal with them.

I really don't get the "15 years in prison" part. It seems to me if someone steels something from you, they should only face minimal punishment if they are able to return it to you. If someone steels all your money, blows it all on a sports car, and crashes it into a pole, then a harsh punishment is deserved. Murderers have gone to jail for less time than that, so I think it needs to be put into perspective. Obviously the 15 years is meant as a high cap for criminals who ruin someone else's life, but for someone who can repay the money he stole, I don't think that 15 year sentence should be expected.

I really don't get the "15 years in prison" part. It seems to me if someone steels something from you, they should only face minimal punishment if they are able to return it to you. If someone steels all your money, blows it all on a sports car, and crashes it into a pole, then a harsh punishment is deserved. Murderers have gone to jail for less time than that, so I think it needs to be put into perspective. Obviously the 15 years is meant as a high cap for criminals who ruin someone else's life, but for someone who can repay the money he stole, I don't think that 15 year sentence should be expected.

If someone steels your money, you can't recover them. Melting the steel would certainly destroy the paper, too. :P

I believe this to be a very dangerous approach to passing down sentences. It is not my place to comment on the harshness of the punishment for lack of deeper knowledge of the US legal system. I can say, however, that even if the money can be recovered, the punishment is meant for the crime mainly, with the damages coming after. I understand that the 15 years might be a bit much but I'm taking issue with your argument that repaying somehow makes it less grave.

I bet the fact that the guy was 52 gave the judge a reason to really stick it to him - what with the guy knowing full well what he was doing was very illegal.

As another note, if you steal money from people that have money (Government, corporations, banks etc) you will face long sentences. Longer than if you commit civil violations or petty crimes (which, it can be argued, hurt more people, more). That's not right, but I'm guessing it's also another topic...

B) < not hacker

:pissed: < still not hacker

:grr: < again not hacker

:ninja: <me wishes but at least i know what one is

im sick of the media spamming the world wish hacking meaning anything that has to do with computers being hacking

B) < not hacker

:pissed: < still not hacker

:grr: < again not hacker

:ninja: <me wishes but at least i know what one is

im sick of the media spamming the world wish hacking meaning anything that has to do with computers being hacking

WTF??

I smoked too many cigarettes while out drinking last night, and I've been hacking all afternoon.

Edited by Colonel Panic