Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thecriscoking

Small question about wifi and IPs

15 posts in this topic

Ok, quick question.

Lets say you have a laptop, wireless internet connectivity and all that good stuff you need to pickup wireless networks and connect to them. If I use my home wireless router to connect to the internet, I would be traced to my network IP adress, correct? Now, lets say if I were to connect to another wireless connection (i.e a neighbors, friends), would I get traced back to THEIR network IP or am I just talking out my ass?

Ok, quick question.

Lets say you have a laptop, wireless internet connectivity and all that good stuff you need to pickup wireless networks and connect to them. If I use my home wireless router to connect to the internet, I would be traced to my network IP address, correct? Now, lets say if I were to connect to another wireless connection (i.e a neighbors, friends), would I get traced back to THEIR network IP or am I just talking out my ass?

Yes. But if you are planning on doing something where you are worried about your IP being logged/traced/tracked/hax0r3d you may want to do whatever it is you are planning on doing from a public access point where no security cameras are around. Just using your neighbors WiFi is not enough to hide yourself. When the .gov opens that door to see 75 year old nana sitting this looking up recipes on her Ibook, they will know something else is going down.

if you go to a nice business area you can usaly find several wireless networks, many will most likely be using WEP which isnt to hard to crack, or some will even be unprotected. from that point just connet, do your evil deed. then bug out.

yes is the answer this is another reason wardriving is popular. but keep in mind that the router is probably logging computers that have recently connected so if your computer is named JOHN SMITH-PC that might not be a good thing if you plan on doing some questionable things on someone elses toobs

Also keep in mind that your MAC address may be recorded as well. Because this is assigned to your hardware, you can literally be caught red handed witht he hardware that has said MAC address assigned to it. Just something to mull over.

but keep in mind that the router is probably logging computers that have recently connected so if your computer is named JOHN SMITH-PC that might not be a good thing if you plan on doing some questionable things on someone elses toobs
Also keep in mind that your MAC address may be recorded as well

Not to sound like I'm encouraging some sort of black-hattery, but it should be said that there are ways to spoof your PC Name and MAC Address pretty easily. In modern Windoze systems, you can edit some registry keys - it'll be one of the GUIDs under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\" with a key named "NetworkAddress" that matches your MAC - and renaming your computer is generally as easy as right-clicking "My Computer", choosing "Properties", and then clicking the "Change" button at the bottom of the "Computer Name" tab.

No special tools or .exe's required.

-ArchAngel

This actually help me alot. Thanks.

For the record, I had no black-hackery intentions, lol. Just curiosity.

Weird, I went into regedit to /hkey_local_machine/etc../class/ and there is no NetworkAdress key. Should I create one or am I missing something?

Weird, I went into regedit to /hkey_local_machine/etc../class/ and there is no NetworkAdress key. Should I create one or am I missing something?

Depends on your NAT/WAN card. Linksys cards have that, as well as netgear. If you're using belkin I couldn't say whether or not they do, since I never have used a belkin one.

It should also be said that it's harder to change your MAC on some cards than others.

Edited by deadc0de

oh shi-, I feel like a jackass now, lol.

I'm talking on a desktop through the forum so I went to check the registry on my desktop and couldn't find it. <sarcasm> I feel pretty intelligent right now</sarcasm>

Another question(s):

When you go into the registry, can you make the MAC Address anything you want?

And if so, you'd probably want to change it after every black-hackery event completed, correct?

If you are planning on stealing internet from a friend or neighbor then I would have a proxy running, try Tor.

=Edit=

But yes MacMakeUp should have something on there to solve your problem, also masking which has already been mentioned.

Edited by Digital_Jedi

Alright man, unless your neighbor has some 200$ cisco router that keeps logs of the mac's/hostnames that connect to it, you don't gotta worry about a damn thing. Be much more wary when using WIfi in public places where they can pull together records from the cameras, and are much more likely to have the sophisticated logging equipment. The only thing hte ISP see's is the router's IP.. so they wont have records to prove you were on your neighbors. If you really wanted to get gangster, just log onto your neighbors wifi, set it up so a proxy server to execute via autoexec if you can access his shares, then use him as a proxy :D

Mac address are spoofable so really that is not any kind of evidence in court.

unless your neighbor has some 200$ cisco router that keeps logs of the mac's/hostnames that connect to it, you don't gotta worry about a damn thing.
I just wanted to point out that my crummy dlink router that I got for $15 logs mac addresses and hostnames of every computer that gets a dhcp lease from it, its very common for routers to log this, most of the time only storing it until the dhcp lease expires.

I know about Tor and all that jazz about proxy-ing (sp?). But I'm not to familiar with setting up my neighbor as a proxy, as blackhat mentioned, via autoexec.

Btw, I'm no pro at proxy's or nothing, I've just done my share of reading and learning, I'm still relatively a noob.

I do happen to have my own router. I'll take a look into it.

Now, another question: Is it possible to travel through computers, like say I pick-up a neighbors wireless router, connect to it, see what connections his wireless reaches and connect to them?

If so, a simple point in the right direction will suffice.