Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daniel3

net send

11 posts in this topic

Ok I have been trying to use net send to send to another computer in my LAN but it hasn't been working. I have searched google but nothing has worked. I have my messenger sevice on and turned on automatic. Also is there a way to send a message like this to another network through an ip address? So can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance. :D

Also is there a way to send a message like this to another network through an ip address? So can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance. :D

Nope. You must be on the same LAN.

The XP SP2 firewall causes issues with NET SEND and you need to make sure the Server service is turned on.

I do get error messages when I try to do that and my messenger service is on. Also thanks gloomer for telling me it only works on my LAN.

Check and make sure you have the approiate net name given. Of course, if this is the problem you would get a unable to find alias or something similar.

run net view ( do you see the box you are trying to talk to ?? )

if so make sure windows and all firewall crap is disabled and off

make sure messanger in servics is on and started

if all else fails IPC$ WTF !

Also is there a way to send a message like this to another network through an ip address? So can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance. :D

Nope. You must be on the same LAN.

I'm pretty sure Windows 2000 will receive net-sends from alien networks

The machines don't have to be on your lan but prior to sp1, the messenger service was running by default and the firewall was turned off by default so net sending was a very easy way of spamming.

I know this may sound repetitive but make sure the service is turned on, on both machines. Sending, and Recieving. Make sure any hardware firewalls are turned off. Windows firewalls, or any other software firewalls. Any security software such as norton security, spysweeper, or anything that'll ask about stupid usless connections. If this is something you still connot solve but are destine to make it work look up the netsend RFC.