rockermm2

Blocked Intrusion?

12 posts in this topic

i keep getting this from Norton AntiVirus is some really tryin to get in my computer

If you only have the Norton software firewall and not a hardware firewall, then you could be getting some automated script probing you.

If you only have the Norton software firewall and not a hardware firewall, then you could be getting some automated script probing you.

any hardware firewall u recommend

A simple one is the Linksys WRT54G since you can change the firmware to use DD-WRT and improve the functionality.

Let me ask you something ... If I have the linksys BEFSR41 VER 2 that's a good firewall and router correct? Is the firmware that comes with good or is there better ones out there?

I don't believe the BEFSR41 is supported by the DD-WRT, OpenWRT, or any of the aftermarket firmware projects. That is the advantage of using the WRT54G.

it could be something you are doing, i was running BT on port 31337 (it seems all of my temporary services end up there somehow :roll: ) and the next time I got onto my Mom's box norton started complaining about BackOriface and other "potential intrusions". Are you running anything temporarily on a high port number?

it could be something you are doing, i was running BT on port 31337 (it seems all of my temporary services end up there somehow :roll: ) and the next time I got onto my Mom's box norton started complaining about BackOriface and other "potential intrusions". Are you running anything temporarily on a high port number?

not really and i never got any warnings like "potential intrusions" i just got "blocked intrusion"

I get probed all the time too. It's not a problem, unless of course there is something there to find. Keep updated, don't run unnecessary services and keep the software firewall on and you should be OK. A NAT router (or "hardware firewall") is good too, but not necessary. You don't really have to worry about incoming probes at all with a NAT router though, so if you ever fall behind or your software firewall gets shut off, you're still protected.

I get probed all the time too. It's not a problem, unless of course there is something there to find. Keep updated, don't run unnecessary services and keep the software firewall on and you should be OK. A NAT router (or "hardware firewall") is good too, but not necessary. You don't really have to worry about incoming probes at all with a NAT router though, so if you ever fall behind or your software firewall gets shut off, you're still protected.

ok

A simple one is the Linksys WRT54G since you can change the firmware to use DD-WRT and improve the functionality.

I updated my Linksys WRT54Gv2 a while back and got to looking at it again...

updated the firmware Lastnight to " Firmware: DD-WRT v24 Beta (08/15/07) std "

And found a neat little thing called wi-viz.

it shows all the wifi activity around you w/o upsetting your own wireless connection.... All through some recently discovered undocumented broadcom command. You can see APs moving around on the screen via a java app, and their related clients move in sync their associated APs.. it's open source... Still a bit buggy, Take a look.. and you can watch it all on a Windows Box!!

http://devices.natetrue.com/wiviz/

{mod's... I took my best guess that here would be a good place for this... don't know if this should have been it's own thread or not... let me know for the next time... you know there will be one}