neuromancer88

Need Help Recovering Files off a Fresh Install

3 posts in this topic

Ok my friend, Just did a fresh install of Windows XP he forgot to back up a book he was writing, My question is is there a program out there that i can use to go to the hard drive and try to recover these novels he erased.

You can use File scavenger, it worked for me.

http://quetek.com/prod02.htm

The most impotrant thing is do not add anymore data to your hardisk, because each new piece of data could be potentially replacing the "erased" files still on your harddisk.

I hope this helps.

The most impotrant thing is do not add anymore data to your hardisk, because each new piece of data could be potentially replacing the "erased" files still on your harddisk.

I would agree with this. Take the hard drive out of the computer and set it as a slave in another computer. If you let Windows write to the drive, it has the potential to overwrite the data. Personally I like GetDataBack from www.runtime.org and WinHex at www.x-ways.net/winhex. Unfortunately neither of these are free, but GetDataBack allows you to see if you can recover the files prior to purchasing their software and I thought WinHex has a demo version.