Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BeefyMcNasty

Setting up remote access.

3 posts in this topic

I have this spare computer sitting my apartment. I built it to screw around with and play with different OS's without having to touch my main box. The thing is I'm not at my apartment as often as I would like to be able to screw around with this machine, so I want to set it up so that I can access it remotely. Now my problem is that it is behind a router and the whole dynamic IP thing. How can I go about setting it up so that I can connect remotely without having to have a static IP?

Edit - If OS is an issue, I am open as long as it is a *NIX variety.

Edit, Part Deux- So I think I may have solved my own question. This website may offer what I need? Will this work for what I am looking for? http://www.no-ip.com

Edited by BeefyMcNasty

Something like that. You need to set up Dynamic DNS. Your router may be compatible and you can set it up to log into dyn dns periodically to refresh the IP. You then need to set up sshd and forward ports. Use vnc if you need GUI but tunnel it through ssh as it's insecure as hell.

Hi,

I would agree with stefanovich, ssh is most definately your friend.... if you want to use a GUI on it then you can use ssh port forwarding using the '-L' option. This magically binds a local port to a remote port and passes all the data through an encrypted tunnel, perfect for VNC.

The Linux Realatity podcast had an episode decribing how to do this is you want more info:

http://www.linuxreality.com/podcast/episode-51-vnc/

Have fun.

Mungewell.

PS Yes that laptop was a good deal ;-)