Apoc

New Laptop

12 posts in this topic

I'm looking to upgrade from my current Dell and I'd like to know what you guys think is the best machine. I don't want to spend much more than $1500 but I want a laptop that can handle wardriving, WEP cracking, and any of the Linux LiveCDs that I can throw at it. It will be a mainly WinXP system with some virtual machines on it and I'd like to have at least 2gb of ram. The screen can be 15" and I'd like it to be as thin and light as possible. If anyone has some good options, please let me know. Thanks

Well I'd say a Panasonic toughbook the fully-rugged version would probably be the best as they can take some big hits, water and generally a hell of a lot of abuse, but they are expressive so just get a ThinkPad or Sony VAIO as I’ve had a lot of luck with both and they are solid well made laptops. You will need to get a better wireless card as internal cards are generally not very good for anything other then the basics.

Anything EXCEPT a toughbook. Those things are the most ovepriced POS there is.

I cant see paying more than 500 for something that could be dropped or snatched at any moment.

Do the proc intensive stuff at home.

I agree, it alway depends on what your using it for ( in the sense of media, work, video editing, gaming, etc...)

and most the new laptops that you would pick up at your local best buy do not have a wireless card capable of putting it into a "listening/capture" setting.

not to mention the fact that EVERY program used to wardrive is not formated to use intel based chipsets... but do not choose a laptop based on wardriving and wepcracking! that can be achieved by basically any laptop that can read burnt disc, and around $50 for the usb wireless card and a 10 pack of dvdr's...

just remember the basics, if you want good visuals; make sure it has a good graphics card

if you want to be able to store a lot; a big hard drive & memory is a must

good gaming; a fast multi-core processor is good...

all comes down to what YOU want out of it.

Good Luck.

I picked up a dell latitude d400 off of ebay for about $325. Overall the only upgrade that I've done to it is put a 100gb hd in it for $60 off of newegg and swapped some ram out of another machine to give it 768mb of ram.

I took a dell wireless card from another laptop and did a dual oot with ubuntu and windows xp. After a while I was able to get the drivers patched properly so I could to arp packet injection at a decent rate. I cant do some of the other things with the aircrack suite but I can live with just arp injection and sniffing.

Well I'd say a Panasonic toughbook the fully-rugged version would probably be the best as they can take some big hits, water and generally a hell of a lot of abuse, but they are expressive so just get a ThinkPad or Sony VAIO as I’ve had a lot of luck with both and they are solid well made laptops. You will need to get a better wireless card as internal cards are generally not very good for anything other then the basics.

With Linux, a ThinkPad would be the way to go.

Well I'd say a Panasonic toughbook the fully-rugged version would probably be the best as they can take some big hits, water and generally a hell of a lot of abuse, but they are expressive so just get a ThinkPad or Sony VAIO as I've had a lot of luck with both and they are solid well made laptops. You will need to get a better wireless card as internal cards are generally not very good for anything other then the basics.

how is a think pad any different than another pc for linux?

They spend more time on quality control.

They don't weigh that much.

Battery life is good as it's designed for the business market.

All internal components and related functions work under Linux.

Replacement parts are cheap and easy to come by.

It has an accelerometer.

It has a fingerprint reader.

I could list more things.

Edited by m3747r0n

Well I'd say a Panasonic toughbook the fully-rugged version would probably be the best as they can take some big hits, water and generally a hell of a lot of abuse, but they are expressive so just get a ThinkPad or Sony VAIO as I've had a lot of luck with both and they are solid well made laptops. You will need to get a better wireless card as internal cards are generally not very good for anything other then the basics.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ThinkPads are made with all Linux compatible hardware, so you don't need to install drivers (and other stuff like that) just to get everything working, right?

If you stick with the centrino models you should be fairly safe though. Most (if not all now) intel wireless cards are supported by linux and most (if not all) video cards are as well. If you want a good video card get the T61 which allows the option for an nvidia card rather than the ati cards. The ati newer ati cards are supported by the open source driver, radeonhd, and the closed source fglrx. radeonhd gets significantly worse performance however fglrx is kinda broken getting good fps but compiz/beryl support is broken is broken and there are some weird issues with a little rectangular box will appear in the bottom right hand corner that is just a bunch of lines and wont go away until you restart X.

They spend more time on quality control.

They don't weigh that much.

Battery life is good as it's designed for the business market.

All internal components and related functions work under Linux.

Replacement parts are cheap and easy to come by.

It has an accelerometer.

It has a fingerprint reader.

I could list more things.

so what youre saying is that all of these technologies do not exist in anything but thinkpads? everything else is a monsterous heavy not-compatible-with-linux with shortlasting batteries, no head parking, no fingerprint readers nothing? man this dell that im using must actually be an IBM thinkpad then.

It's hard to find all of them in one laptop. At one point I had to look after hundreds of laptops when i work for a very large UK telecoms company and we had a selection of brands from Panasonic Toughbooks, thinkpads, Dells, HP, fujitsu siemens and toshiba and I have to say ThinkPads were the best out of the lot, Dells where the worst although parts were very easy to get, more so then some of the others if the laptop was less the three years old.

Over all I would say that it is better to look at business laptops then consumer laptops at a brick and mortar store. You are going to get something with better durability as a business machine then what you would find locally.

My d400 is probably nearing 3 years old, I've had to for a year, and it still runs like a rock. It is extremely small and actually has metal used in the lcd panel do it can certainly take some bashing.