Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
onedayillpay

Should i pay for this Os

18 posts in this topic

http://www.linuxcd.org/view_distro.php?lst...p;id_distro=308 <----pay for back track

http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack_download.html <----Free iso

if i was to pay for back track, will i still have the same problem with my wifi card?

what are the benefits when you pay?

Do all lunix os systems have problems recognizing the wifi cards?

edit: http://www.linuxcd.org/faq.php

i should have read this before i made this post.

Edited by onedayillpay

First of all, you pay for the CD and shipping. You could as well download Backtrack 2 from the Internet.

Second, what makes you think that paying for the OS would make the technical problems go away? You could pay for a something that doesn't work and it still wouldn't work. Money doesn't make things magically work.

Third, I'd say the benefits are having the CD shipped to you and maybe (but I'm not sure) some technical support.

Fourth, there's no such thing as "lunix (sic) os system". "OS" is the acronym for Operating System, so "os system" makes no sense. And as for the non-grammatic part - Linux kernel is quasi-modular, which means that you have to install drivers to make certain devices (like WiFi cards) work. There is no native support for them built-in into the kernel as far as I know.

"OS" is the acronym for Operating System, so "os system" makes no sense.

Tell that to Microsoft. After all, they're powered by NT technology.

<<- post edited by droops ->>

But seriously if you do it yourself you learn more then you would frm paying $10 for a cd and putting it into your computer.

It is said that ubuntu 7.10 had resolved wi-fi issues. Also if you want to use another distro, you must mount your wi-fi card at every start up to use it.

It is said that ubuntu 7.10 had resolved wi-fi issues. Also if you want to use another distro, you must mount your wi-fi card at every start up to use it.

how did you get the idea that you have to mount your wifi card at startup everytime using anyother distro than ubuntu 7.10. i use a couple different distros and i dont have to do that.

Could you give me a few examples of what "lunix os systems" you used that dont have this wifi card problem. besides ubuntu 7.10.

All of them. Are you by chance using a linux os off a cd or did you install it to your hd?

Right now im running windows vista. I would like to make a iso disk but dont want to go threw the wifi problem. so i want to ask what linux system has fixed this. so far ubuntu 7.10 beta has fixed this.

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/gutsybeta

but are there any others out there that i could try.

i have a copy of ubuntu beta 7.10 and backtrack2. I gave up on backtrack, ill never be able to get my wifi card working with backtrack. and i just tryed ubuntu beta and the system never could boot. I got this long error

[4115.202015]Bcm43xx: Error: microcode "Bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not found or failed to load

Im running vista, cant stand it and im starting to think this wifi problem im having is due to vista. so im looking for a free os system that will run with no wifi problems. It looks like ill never find one so ill have to get windows xp.

Dude, you always have to set up your wifi card in linux because you're running it off a cd! All the settings revert to default when you reboot because the cd on which the OS is on is read-only and it uses your ram to store any data.

I just dont know what to do any more. i spent to manny weekends trying to get backtrack2 to work. i even gave my labtop to a local computer shop.

So then the drivers are already located on my labtop? < simple question and i hope i get a simple yes or no answer...

If the drivers are located on my computer then how do i find them? < a nother simple question...

I have downloaded about 10 differnt drivers and installed them correctly using ndiswrapper. after about 50 hours and 20 bucks waisted, i think its time to give up...

Edited by onedayillpay

with vista you cant use programs like nmap, ettercap, wireshark and or other programs used to sniff packets. i have used backtrack 2 on my desk top and love everything about it.

Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 02)

with vista you cant use programs like nmap, ettercap, wireshark and or other programs used to sniff packets. i have used backtrack 2 on my desk top and love everything about it.

Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 02)

Maybe just buy an Atheros card?

ok, first download this:

http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R140747.EXE

then:

unzip R140747.EXE

cd DRIVER

ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf

modprobe ndiswrapper

If you keep using the live CD you must do this evey time you boot off of the CD. It might be a good idea to save the .inf on a usb thumb drive or something. Please note that this will not allow you to use the interface in promiscuous mode, so things like kismet will be out of the question. If you enjoy using the backtrack CD then perhaps you may want to consider buying a WiFi card with an Atheros chipset like this: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=11.