Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xof7

john the ripper

5 posts in this topic

I have a list of about 21240 md5 hashes that I want to crack. Every application that I've tried to either run a dictionary attack or a brute force fails because of the size of the list.

One of the few applications that I havent tried is john the ripper and I was hoping that it would be possible to use a list of md5 hashes from a text file and then run a dictionary attack against them or a brute force attack on them.

I found a few different tutorials on how to do it but they didnt work.

Any thoughts?

ummm. stuff...

Actually i'm striving to create a list of actual passwords taken from sites that have had their databases dumped.

I parse the md5 hashes out of them and then start cracking.

When I'm done the wordlists and stuff will be on http://word-lists.com

Seriously who needs to "crack" md5's when rainbow tables exist.... Unless you know all passwords are over 13 characters, or they are salted just use rainbow tables.

Yes, its big and cumbersome to download, but all your passwords are belong to them, seriously....

You know, i been out of it for awhile, and i'm still surprised people ask these mundane questions. Most md5's are salted now anyways, so that makes all the previous crackers antiquated.

Yeah, there are quite a few databases of cracked md5 hashes out there.

You could probably write a script to look them up...just make sure you don't have too many connections, the admins would probably get a little suspicious

Also, look for any duplicates I guess. That'd probably take AGES though.

Good luck

I have about 90gb of rainbow tables. Currently it takes about 12 seconds per table on my e6420 with 2gb of ram. What I want to do is eliminate all the passwords that are under 6 characters so that I'm not wasting my time with the rainbow tables...

I already removed about 600 duplicates.

EDIT

Turns out I had some invalid md5 hashes in their. I removed them and opened them up in Cain and it ran like a champ.

Edited by xof7