Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Extropx

What is this?

10 posts in this topic

untitled-6.jpg

There is a lot more of things that I can access on this network, many of it I do not understand.

is that windows 95 or 98? I've never seen those kinda folders on my computer

It looks like the boot-policy and runtime scripts for a Windows 2000 (2003) network environment. Generally, they are used for registered computer objects on a network to run when a user logs in...kept centrally for easy of administration and maintaince by the network administrators.

I think that for a guy who was very open about his views on hacking schools in another thread, you should be more careful about dropping docs on yourself.

I think that for a guy who was very open about his views on hacking schools in another thread, you should be more careful about dropping docs on yourself.

You don't know all the circumstances, so please don't assume.

The directory is located on a server, (One-eyed-jack) denoted in the address field.

As you can probably see from the screenshot, I am logged on under a student account, and I still have access to this particular part of the network. What I am wondering if is if this is secure, or if a particular person (not me, Mr. McGrew) with enough knowledge could mess things up having access to this area. If so, I am going to contact my admin.

is that windows 95 or 98? I've never seen those kinda folders on my computer

That's XP with no Fisher Price theme or 2003.

Edited by Ohm

You don't know all the circumstances, so please don't assume.

The directory is located on a server, (One-eyed-jack) denoted in the address field.

As you can probably see from the screenshot, I am logged on under a student account, and I still have access to this particular part of the network. What I am wondering if is if this is secure, or if a particular person (not me, Mr. McGrew) with enough knowledge could mess things up having access to this area. If so, I am going to contact my admin.

Are you actually able to edit it? I would imagine that you would be able to view it, but you couldn't edit it. Especially if you're only logged on as a student.

I didn't want to try editing, but I did, and I guess you can't. It's secure then?

I didn't want to try editing, but I did, and I guess you can't. It's secure then?

It's only write protected. If you can access it, it's unsecure.

It is still a security threat since you can still view the policy changes that are occurring when an unprivileged user log's into an account.

Knowing what security restrictions are in place allows you to know what not to try when trying to increase your account level on a local system.