lordwud

Eee PC

37 posts in this topic

Their are a lot of chips in the AR5x line that are supported so it is likely that it will be supported eventually.

USB adapters can possibly be used but what I am wondering is how difficult it will be to re-compile the drivers for the kernel on the eeepc.

I'm hanging out on the aircrack irc and i'm going to see if anyone talks about it.

I found this on madwifi.

http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility/Athe...AtherosAR5BXB63

Edited by xof7

so two days ago my 4g eeepc came in the mail. So far its really cool, especially that it fits in my pocket. The keyboard is definitely weird at first, but im starting to get the hang of it. First thing I did was upgrade the ram to 2gig, then i activated "advanced" mode, which is just kde instead of the pda feeling interface it came with. Then I installed backtrack 3 on an sd card which was a bit harder then i expected cause the script that makes the drive bootable didnt work in the default Xandros OS. So i ran BT3 off a thumb drive and the script worked fine so I stopped caring about it. I also realized that Im too busy during the week to play with gadgets, but Im on a mission to do something rad with it this weekend.

Anyone else get one yet?

I think I'll be getting one around the end of February. I need a decently sized computer to throw in my backpack for class and this is perfect. I'll also finally get in some linux, which I've yet to really play around with (ubuntu on a crappy computer for about 2 hours is all I've really done).

As for issues with the solid state drive, there's a chart on eeeuser.com's wiki, and it shows a normal life span with some pretty intensive usage. His math checks out for as far as I know...but I don't know all that much.

I did some research on these today because I saw the eeepc available on newegg but I wanted to see what else was out there. The eeePC seems ok, but is there something better?

I found myself looking more towards to other alternatives that are in the same classification (sub-laptops) that look like better options to me.

1) VIA Nanobook - One reason is that I am a sucker for touchscreens, but it also has a faster processor (1.2Ghz) and seems a little more powerful overall. The drawbook here is that it is windows powered, which not only means less apps bundled and probably a higher price tag.

2) Everex Cloudbook - This one is gOS powered which is an OS that I would like to play with and learn. It also means more free software availability. I like the formfactor of this best as well.

I could not find either one of these available yet, so price will be a major factor in my decision. If they price it too high, then they are not as viable as I would hope. Does anyone have either of these or know where they are available to buy yet?

The Cloudbook has been pushed back "about a month" according to Gizmodo and last I heard, Via had not yet released information about a US partner for the Nanobook (Packard Bell will be producing them in Europe).

Edited by Cobalt Infinity

Pimp to the Cloudbook, just like an EEE, but with a normal hard drive. I actually think this little thing is going to be my primary system from now on. :D

I've been on mine almost non-stop since I got it on Friday.

From what I've seen from the EEEpc it didn't seem like it was all that worth it. I honestly don't see what the sudden fascination with these shitty ultra portables is. The Air is a complete failure, the EEEpc seems more like a toy than something that would be really useful, the OLPC is more of a toy (and while fun I probably would do any real work on it). I just picked up an n810 and stuck an 8 gig sd hard in it. It's much smaller than all the ultraportables, probably get's better battery life, and does what it should very well. The main purpose of the ultraportable is something to carry around use to browse the internet, carry some information that you can always read on hand, etc. Personally I carry around my T60 almost everywhere I go as well as my n810, carrying around one of the X series or just a normal $1099 or $1199 macbook would be nothing and you sacrifice a lot less. The Airs really are not that much lighter or smaller than the macbooks and personally I just don't understand why people are jumping all over it when they are paying more for less.

My friend got the 4g eee and although i had hyped it up and told him about it i really wasn't that impressed. It does seem a bit like a fisher price laptop. Iv'e seen some cool mods done too it to make it more functional but what's the point? It's meant to be this ultra cheap laptop, why would you go out and pay for all this other tech to add on to it. I guess there is some bias as iv'e used a mates samsung lifebook T2010 http://www.fujitsu.com/au/services/technol...3.5g/specs.html and it blows the eee at of the water (so does like price tag though -_-).

From what I've seen from the EEEpc it didn't seem like it was all that worth it. I honestly don't see what the sudden fascination with these shitty ultra portables is. The Air is a complete failure, the EEEpc seems more like a toy than something that would be really useful, the OLPC is more of a toy (and while fun I probably would do any real work on it). I just picked up an n810 and stuck an 8 gig sd hard in it. It's much smaller than all the ultraportables, probably get's better battery life, and does what it should very well. The main purpose of the ultraportable is something to carry around use to browse the internet, carry some information that you can always read on hand, etc. Personally I carry around my T60 almost everywhere I go as well as my n810, carrying around one of the X series or just a normal $1099 or $1199 macbook would be nothing and you sacrifice a lot less. The Airs really are not that much lighter or smaller than the macbooks and personally I just don't understand why people are jumping all over it when they are paying more for less.

Other than screen resolution, I don't feel like i'm sacrificing much. It can run a full featured OS and accomplish most tasks without much trouble. I don't feel like I'd be able to do all that much more with say a macbook. Sure the macbook is faster, but with computers being so powerful now adays, is it really that big of a deal unless you are video editing or something?

On a related note, the C7-M processor is getting shot down in benchmarks, but it seems to handle multitasking quite well with what I'm doing.

lol i think im just going to wait till i win the lottery then pay a few grand for the ultimate labtop (4gig ram 100gig hard 2.0 dual or triple proc xd)... guess i should start playing the lottery huh