Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
asn

'traceroute' for phones?

6 posts in this topic

Is there any way to trace a number, 1800 specifically, to find out where they get routed through?

From a customer's stand-point, no. However, you can find out who owns the number by calling 800-337-4194. It's an automated system, but that information probably isn't going to be very useful to you.

Uh.. what? That number's for a resporg which is exactly what asn is asking for.. Resporg numbers don't tell you who owns the number. Instead they tell you which telco is providing that number which asn seems to be asking for. So, yeah, a resporg for him will help him out a great deal because that's what he seems to be asking for.

So, yeah, a resporg for him will help him out a great deal because that's what he seems to be asking for.

I said it probably won't be useful to him..... I certainly didn't make his situation worse by giving him information that probably wouldn't help him.

Perhaps you misread what he was asking for. I'll quote:

asn was asking for:

Is there any way to trace a number, 1800 specifically, to find out where they get routed through?
(emphasis mine)

A resporg will tell him just that by telling him which phone company controls that number.

You responded with:

However, you can find out who owns the number by calling 800-337-4194.
(emphasis mine)

A Resporg does not tell you who owns the number. It tells you who provides the number. I might own the phone number 800-2-call-me but it is provided to me by a telco. Let's say that telco is Verizon. So if asn calls up a resporg and punches in "800-2-call-me" he'll be told that Verizon is the responsible organization for that number, i.e. the number's routed through Verizon.

Since asn specifically said "to find out where they get routed through?" this is exactly the information he is looking for.

I fail to see how "I certainly didn't make his situation worse by giving him information that probably wouldn't help him." applies when he specifically was asking how to find out which telco routes an 800 number.