phyburn

VPN service

16 posts in this topic

Well, you already paid for the service? I guess then the issue would be more 1. Does the service work? and 2. Are you getting charged for (on your credit card) only what you agreed to pay? There isn't a lot you could do now if it turns out to be a "scam" other than get the charges reversed.

Relakks has gotten a lot of publicity recently, and might be another option to try.

They charged me for what i was told they were going to charge. Service works great, and it works on my iphone =p

Why not use http://openvpn.net/?

Whats the difference between using openvpn or using vnc? I know the difference between the two softwares, but which is preferable(and secure) for what I need? The only purpose I have for it would be when (if I get a laptop) I'm on a public network so that I can avoid anyone who might be sniffing the network.

You can never be 100% secure. Using vpn's put you at more risk because they are going through another computer or place of some sort which can be intercepted is that I understood.

You can never be 100% secure. Using vpn's put you at more risk because they are going through another computer or place of some sort which can be intercepted is that I understood.

I would run the vpn server on my computer at home. At least if I understand correctly I can do that. I'll settle for less than 100% secure. I just don't want anyone sniffing my traffic.

I don't think that statement is true. I think you can make the connection technically 100% untraceable but people always do something stupid that can be traced.

For example an untraceable setup would go like this,

You pay a homeless person to get you a lap top from a pawn shop with cash.

Remove the hard drive and only use Anonym.OS v1.0, a LiveCD that runs OpenBSD 3.8 and is intended to allow totally anonymous surfing of the Web.

NEVER use the same wireless access point more than one time and never for more than 30 mins.

Wipe down the laptop with acetone for finger prints and ware gloves when using the keyboard.

Change the laptop every 30 days.

The only way to be traced or identified with this setup is if YOU make a mistake while using the connection and identify yourself.

Please try to find a way to trace and track someone while using this setup.

I don't think that statement is true. I think you can make the connection technically 100% untraceable but people always do something stupid that can be traced.

For example an untraceable setup would go like this,

You pay a homeless person to get you a lap top from a pawn shop with cash.

Remove the hard drive and only use Anonym.OS v1.0, a LiveCD that runs OpenBSD 3.8 and is intended to allow totally anonymous surfing of the Web.

NEVER use the same wireless access point more than one time and never for more than 30 mins.

Wipe down the laptop with acetone for finger prints and ware gloves when using the keyboard.

Change the laptop every 30 days.

The only way to be traced or identified with this setup is if YOU make a mistake while using the connection and identify yourself.

Please try to find a way to trace and track someone while using this setup.

I'm not trying to hide anything from anyone. I simply don't want the guy 2 tables away to be sniffing my packets and see what I'm doing if I'm on a public network.

And if you were trying to hide something or remain untraceable how you were describing, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to have the mentality that what you did is untraceable. I think thats where you would make your mistake.

Open VPN is free.

Ya I was reading up on that looks pretty cool :P

Open VPN is free.

Just offer an alternative (gotta love the 'open source=more choice') there is also Tinc, which I came across for providing VPN tunnels between hacked/flashed wireless routers.

see:

http://www.tinc-vpn.org/

Appears to be simpler to set up than OpenVPN and less resource hungry. Currently clients/servers for Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, MacOS/X, Solaris, Windows 2000 and XP.

[removed trailling comment as I didn't read the whole thread properly.... engage brain before talking!]

Munge.

Edited by mungewell

This all depends though,I personally would feel safer with a company based in Switzerland to see my traffic then my local ISP/FBI =p

Open VPN is free.

Just offer an alternative (gotta love the 'open source=more choice') there is also Tinc, which I came across for providing VPN tunnels between hacked/flashed wireless routers.

see:

<a href="http://www.tinc-vpn.org/" target="_blank">http://www.tinc-vpn.org/</a>

Appears to be simpler to set up than OpenVPN and less resource hungry. Currently clients/servers for Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, MacOS/X, Solaris, Windows 2000 and XP.

[removed trailling comment as I didn't read the whole thread properly.... engage brain before talking!]

Munge.

o.O Tinc looks really cool.

Yep I get pwnd, they where a scam. Service still works, but I found out they ended up charging me over what they said they where. And also I can't cancel the service. So I had to call my bank and sadly report I got pwnt in the face.