rockermm2

which laptop should i get

30 posts in this topic

I wanna invest in a laptop this desktop is good but i would prefer to have a laptop ..... but which laptop is the best OVERALL i know each one has its strong points but overall...which should i get.. and dont say a 23 inch screen.. 1 terabyte... nothing to expensive like lets keep it around 1.5-2 grand

Edited by rockermm2

Best is at best an opinionated word.

If money is the limit.. then you must decide what you want to use this machine for.

General tinkering?? or some serious games? it's a big spread.

What are you wanting to do with it??

Will you want it to run Linux?? Save yourself some peace of mind and check the Linux communities about what works.

If you're going to be lugging it around a lot, I recommend getting the absolute lightest/smallest laptop you can get that has the specifications you need. I don't know how much gaming you plan on doing on it, but you can pick up a pretty nicely configured Dell Latitude D430. 12.1" screen, and about 3 lbs. A friend has a D410, which is very similar and it's a great, small, take-anywhere kind of laptop. My personal laptop is a C400 which is an ancestor of these with a PIII processor, and I absolutely love it. There are Thinkpads in this size/weight range that are worth considering too.

It all depends on what you need (desktop replacements/gaming powerhouse isn't going to fit well with my recommendations), and how mobile you want to be. Personally, I don't need a lot of computing power in a laptop, just good network interfaces, a reasonable amount of RAM, and portability. So, I make the the performance for size tradeoff gladly.

If you're going to be lugging it around a lot, I recommend getting the absolute lightest/smallest laptop you can get that has the specifications you need. I don't know how much gaming you plan on doing on it, but you can pick up a pretty nicely configured Dell Latitude D430. 12.1" screen, and about 3 lbs. A friend has a D410, which is very similar and it's a great, small, take-anywhere kind of laptop. My personal laptop is a C400 which is an ancestor of these with a PIII processor, and I absolutely love it. There are Thinkpads in this size/weight range that are worth considering too.

It all depends on what you need (desktop replacements/gaming powerhouse isn't going to fit well with my recommendations), and how mobile you want to be. Personally, I don't need a lot of computing power in a laptop, just good network interfaces, a reasonable amount of RAM, and portability. So, I make the the performance for size tradeoff gladly.

its kinda like desktop replacement im still in high school and i dont alot of docs and i work on flashes on my spare time bc i plan not to use the desktop after the laptop and in gaming wise i dont game on Pc i stick with the xbox 360 for that and i dont always lug the laptop maybe just here and that but not that much movement so it can be a little heavy i wont mind

HP - Pavilion Laptop with AMD Turion™ 64 X2

1GB DDR2

AMD Turion™ 64 X2 mobile technology TL-56* for AMD dual-core technology in a thin-and-light design;

12.1" WXGA+ high-definition widescreen display with BrightView technology

160GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

4 pounds B)

yea i was looking at this HP and others they are pretty good thanks for the insight

Edited by rockermm2

Thats a good one but it has vista installed on it so if you want to keep it then do so. But I used to use this HP Pavilion dv5000 laptop and loved it. Its a lower version but good design

hppc2.jpg

hp_dv5000.jpg

Thats the newer version I don't really like it very much including 1 reason that the screen isn't very firm

btw I noticed you had 4 userbars here you go:

userbar530930qj0.gif

Edited by canr

Thats the newer version I don't really like it very much including 1 reason that the screen isn't very firm

btw I noticed you had 4 userbars here you go:

userbar530930qj0.gif

thanks wat did u use

To make the user bars or the computer? For user bars I found them on a site which had the feature. Laptop wise you should pick something you like really. Getting companys like Dell, alienware, etc straight from them is a risky and wastefull thing to do. Dell includes a lot of useless garbage and had quite a few recalls. Alienware has a large price tag and can not get much for cheap. HP is my pick because of the ease of use and the design.

Look at Dell's laptop's which are all becoming standard for them. They are all moved up and to much space in the middle which is pretty annoying...

20070628_01_laptop.jpg

See how much space from the keyboard to mouse and just in general

I personally like IBM ThinkPads. I have a ThinkPad T40, which runs a 1.5 GHz Pentium M processor, 1 GB DDR-400, and 80 GB PATA hard disk. I mostly run Linux on it, for programming (including my classwork), doing school assignments (several classes require me to bring it to lecture) and personal correspondence. The main selling point for me was weight (since I'd be carrying it around) and battery life (> 5 hrs with the standard cell).

The other laptop I regularly use is a Toshiba Libretto 110CT -- a Pentium-class machine running a 233 MHz "Tillamook" processor (early mobile Pentium), 64 MB RAM, and a 4 GB CF card in an IDE converter as a solid-state hard disk. I run Linux on it (even have X!), and you can't beat it as a note-taking and basic Internet machine as far as size and weight go. It also makes a very handy network analysis/troubleshooting tool.

I never understood why IBM is so great(is it?) Yes it is professional and its lighter but what makes it a but more expensive then the rest? And why do you prefer it over others?

I never understood why IBM is so great(is it?) Yes it is professional and its lighter but what makes it a but more expensive then the rest? And why do you prefer it over others?

Build quality, reliability, lighter weight, and they just have a very respectable look about them too. I think the small Latitude D4XX series are a good alternative (even a bit lighter, I think) and are more inexpensive, but I can't deny the Thinkpads are really excellent laptops and are probably worth every penny.

Folks who take a laptop around with them everywhere have very different criteria for selecting laptops. Form, size, weight, and reliability are king.

If you don't want to game, I suggest you buy a Macbook.

They are small and light; powerful while retaining great battery life.

For $1500 you can get a 13" Macbook.

• 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
  • 160GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
  • SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
  • AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

product-white.jpg

It will also come with OS X 10.5 installed.

*cues the fanboy jokes*

Edit: Another thing I love about my Macbook, the trackpad in nice and big.

Edited by Zal91

If you're looking for cheap, Dell has a sale right now on laptops. Inspirons.

They come in pretty colors.

If you don't want to game, I suggest you buy a Macbook.

They are small and light; powerful while retaining great battery life.

MacBooks are excellent, but they're heavier than you would think for a 13.3" laptop: 5.1 lbs. This is closer to the weight of my wife's old 15 inch Inspiron 600m. In comparison, the Latitude D4XX series is around 3 lbs, and believe me the difference of 2 pounds is huge.

The Macbooks are great laptops though.

I like my Sony Vaio notebooks. They look good, are well powered, have the best displays on the market and are well priced. The MacBook is okay too.

I'd also recommend a thinkpad. I've been very happy with my T40. It's very light, fairly inexpensive (I bought it refurb and got a good price), it was pretty well configured for the time and still is fairly decent by today's standards. At five years old it is still doing most of what I need/want and has held up very well until recently when one of the screw holes broke which is causing the usb ports to have a loose connection.

I got mine on eBay a few years back, when it wasn't the current top-of-the-line model, for $450. You can get them factory refurbished from TigerDirect currently for $499: link

In addition to favorable design characteristics, I also picked the ThinkPad for its Linux support: in general, IBM hardware plays nicely with Linux. Since I run it as my main OS, that's pretty necessary for me.

I would recomend the Asus G2 Laptop.

Here is a review of it. Asus G2

The coolest thing I think this laptop has is you could put a desktop Quad Core CPU in it.

I have messed with is and I like it. Had a little trouble getting XP Pro 64 running on it but I got it up and running now. :D

Just one tip. Get a different WiFi card in it. Unless you want to use the Intel one :voteno: , but good luck packet sniffing with that. :P

I fucking love my System76 laptop. If you aren't afraid of linux (dont worry it wont bite) then get one of them,

system76.com

I fucking love my System76 laptop. If you aren't afraid of linux (dont worry it wont bite) then get one of them,

system76.com

System76 always looked overpriced for what they are, they just look like cheap unbranded laptops they buy in bulk from China. If you aren't afraid of Linux, buy a laptop and install Ubuntu on it yourself, your get a better made, better spec laptop for less.

Edited by m3747r0n

Thats a good one but it has vista installed on it so if you want to keep it then do so. But I used to use this HP Pavilion dv5000 laptop and loved it. Its a lower version but good design

Unless you *need* the screen, don't go with a laptop like that. You have a desktop already (or so I understand), so why would you get a large screen?