Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lordwud

scanning shredder

19 posts in this topic

The other day when my shredder was jammed, and I was taking it apart to see what I could do with it. I thought to myself, gee what if i stuck a scanner in the top part before the paper got shredded. Then had it set up so it saved scanned images automatically to some flash media, and built in a wireless connection. Maybe 802.11A since most people don't use that. I thought for a while, and read a bunch of sites, and ebayed, and then realized I don't have enough money or time to build a proof of concept, but I would be totally thrilled, and flattered if someone else did.

is this a new idea? if so i wanna dub it a wudbox </ego> :-b

EDIT: ive been drinking, and this sounds awesome, but ive been burned in this situation before, so if its just weird just move along and forgive my drunken post. and the wudbox thing was a joke.

Edited by Lord Wud

I like the way you think when you've been drinking.

It would take some looking around to figure out what model shredder would be easiest to modify, and perhaps a bit of hacking around in software (SANE likely) to get the scanner started and working with the speed at which the shredder pulls the paper through. If you did want to invest in building a proof-of-concept, I would bet that it would be a very popular demonstration at conferences and such.

I like the way you think when you've been drinking.

It would take some looking around to figure out what model shredder would be easiest to modify, and perhaps a bit of hacking around in software (SANE likely) to get the scanner started and working with the speed at which the shredder pulls the paper through. If you did want to invest in building a proof-of-concept, I would bet that it would be a very popular demonstration at conferences and such.

Not to mention the big pile of money such an item would drag in. Patent it quick.

OK umm, yes that is a cool idea.....However...if you are shredding documents.........why exactly would you want to scan them? obviously you are trying to get rid of them. I know that your thinking "well we could use the wireless usb to catch the documents and find stuff in them but...what business person with documents of any value is going to want a product as risky as that. Ok so maybe you think "just dont tell them", well i hope you make a lot of money from the info you get because you'll need it while your being sued lol.

Now maybe i missed the point here, I'm not sure, if so...could someone please correct me..

well to do it subvert you could split any model shredder at the seem and fill it with a plastic/latex band of some sort. noone would notice if you added a few inches to a shredder, as long as it was done neatly. like a nice 4 inch thick wall... not sure how to do it, rubber/latex, theres gotta be a way.

The best plan i came up with when i was thinking about it for real was to use 2 docupens from http://planon.com/ and... well i gave up on that right away cause they cost soo much, but when i was thinking standard scanner tech and i thought..

just solder/wire whatever sets off the shredder to push the "one touch" scanner option then find linux drivers that respond and save twain files automatically, gut a wrt54g with the right drivers on it, and hook the power up to the power of the scanner. tadaaaaa....

however if i did it id be broke and it would be really ugly with alot of duct tape. someone come up with a better way of doing it.

OK umm, yes that is a cool idea.....However...if you are shredding documents.........why exactly would you want to scan them? obviously you are trying to get rid of them. I know that your thinking "well we could use the wireless usb to catch the documents and find stuff in them but...what business person with documents of any value is going to want a product as risky as that. Ok so maybe you think "just dont tell them", well i hope you make a lot of money from the info you get because you'll need it while your being sued lol.

Now maybe i missed the point here, I'm not sure, if so...could someone please correct me..

well this was a completely blackhat/cia method of thinking, as in send in an attacker disguised as a shredder tech(they'd fall for it, don't kid yourself) to set up the system without telling the business. completely theoretical and not something i would have the balls to pull off.. although i wish i did.

am i the only one who found the shrinter to be utterly useless yet still hilarious?

am i the only one who found the shrinter to be utterly useless yet still hilarious?

Same here.

About the scanning shredder though, it seems like it'd be a nice idea for the random people who accidentally shred the wrong information and need a backup copy. I know it seems utterly pointless, but there actually could be a place for something like this in the business world.

About the scanning shredder though, it seems like it'd be a nice idea for the random people who accidentally shred the wrong information and need a backup copy. I know it seems utterly pointless, but there actually could be a place for something like this in the business world.

But that would defeat the purpose of shredding it.

Edited by Zal91

But that would defeat the purpose of shredding it.

This is true. Some people might need an "Oh shit buffer".

This is true. Some people might need an "Oh shit buffer".

Maybe so, but I highly doubt this would be a successful commercial product.

Wow, all these ideas for planting it on someone who thinks it's just a regular shredder! I thought the OP wanted to make a device to digitize then destroy documents!

Anyone remember those hand scanners from the 90's? They scanned at whatever rate you passed them over an image, by measuring the speed at which it passed with a rubber roller bar. Perhaps something like that could be used, to grab the image no matter what speed it went by. It might not be the best quality, since it might not be an even motion, but for text or handwriting, you don't need too much.

That actually is a good idea, the main problem is see is that most shredders shred more than 1 page at a time (between 10-20 for most), so you'd only capture a small portion.

A similar idea, but put in a photocopier, would work even better.

Edit: I'm seeing this as more of a corporate espionage tool than an oh shit buffer.

Edited by Binary_Lulz

Sure the espionage ideas are great. But I also see this easily marketable to general consumers. You are supposed to save copies of most all tax, bills, pay stubs, and other information for at least 7 years. This adds up to a TON of paper. If your like me its also very unorganized. Imagine now with this new Scanner/Shredder you get your monthly bills, and documents. You slide them into the unit they are scanned into your system, organized into a folder for that month, then they are shredded and ready to be thrown out safely. I would love to build something like this if I knew how. It could really take off.

You could maybe also add a printer unit onto it for when you need to get said documents without having to transfer them to another device. Although this is obviously more of a business idea than an espionage idea.