Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vangald

Portable Programming tools?

10 posts in this topic

Anyone know of some good portable programing tools that can work off of a thumb drive? Perhaps some IDE? Any language will do.

Anyone know of some good portable programing tools that can work off of a thumb drive? Perhaps some IDE? Any language will do.

I used to carry Python for Windows around on a thumb drive all the time. I simply installed it as a normal user, and then copied the installation directory over to the drive, and it worked fine. I used a very small Windows version of vi with it, but I think nowadays you can get a portable version of the real-thing GVim. I also had all the documentation on the drive too, so I had the library reference with me at all times too.

I don't go anywhere without my laptop, I have the conventional GCC/binutils suite.. allowing me to debug code in the park under a tree.

It's been warm lately, but I fear winter is around the corner :(

i used to use python but it got annoying after a while to install

You don't have to install it each time. Just install it on one Windows machine, and copy the installation directory over to your drive. You can run it from the drive on any computer you want from there on out, without installing it again.

I wish there was a portable version of the .net compilers. Anyone know a good one for Pascal?

I will do that with the python install. I forgot it doesn't have any OS based dependencies.

Edited by Vangald

are there any portable c++ compilers?

You could try portable dev-cpp. Comes with an IDE etc.....

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=190331

Knoppix has GCC, python and perl interpeter, VIM, Emacs, etc. Basically everything you could need if you're a unix programmer.

install mingw!!! (you'll need to set path)

even code::blocks works