Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rockermm2

Solaris Operating System

9 posts in this topic

what is it i kno somethings i goggled it and i wanna know more so is it any good should i bother with it or no?????/i wanna hear from the people

The student servers run solaris, it's not a bad OS. My main complaint is that it vi doesn't seem to work properly. I can't use the arrow keys, it enters strange characters, same thing with end/home/pg up/pg down etc.

Other then that, if you go with it be prepared to compile everything from source. It'll be a great learning experience for your

-Dr^ZigMan

Other then that, if you go with it be prepared to compile everything from source. It'll be a great learning experience for your

so u do believe that i should bother and look more into it

Install it in VMWare and give it a try. It's good OS, especially if you're running it on Sun hardware. Pretty rock solid stuff in the hands of a good old school sysadmin.

how does it work is it like wubi and linux or how do i get it and use it

I can't use the arrow keys, it enters strange characters, same thing with end/home/pg up/pg down etc.

That's b/c it's really VI, and not VIM. In linux vi is aliased to vim. I grew up on VI, so I still hit escape after entering any text, even in vim. But considering 80% of my day to day job is done in Solaris I don't mind vi. I like it.

Also, $ takes you to the end of a line. 0 takes you to the beginning. Crtl-D is page down and Crtl-U is page up. They should work in VIM also.

As for the OP's question. Solaris is ROCK solid. The only time I've ever had any problem with Solaris is when hardware starts failing. The only thing you have to watch out for is that for the most part you aren't going to find installable packages. Everything is pretty much compiled. With that said, you can find binaries for Solaris. You can find good stuff at http://www.sunfreeware.com/ and http://www.blastwave.org/ .

That's b/c it's really VI, and not VIM. In linux vi is aliased to vim. I grew up on VI, so I still hit escape after entering any text, even in vim. But considering 80% of my day to day job is done in Solaris I don't mind vi. I like it.

I've actually compiled vim from source on solaris and still had similar issues. Bah, I probably mucked something up while doing it :)

Another awesome feature of solaris is how well it handles mpi based applications. Nothing quite says poweruser like a cluster to do your bidding! As for the reliability, I can't say I 100% agree with that as we've had our servers go down quite a bit but again that must just reflect upon the system admins.

If I had to bottom line it for you I'd say this. If you really want to learn about how nix works and dig in deep it's a terrific operation system. However solaris is rather unforgiving and finding people with similar issues (i.e. googling error messages, my personal favorite past time) will be more difficult as it's not a ubiquitous as other OS's. If this is your first foray into the world of nix you might be better off with something with a little lighter of a learning curve. That being said don't be afraid to experiment, worst case you reformat and slap something else on your hardware.

Good Luck!

-Dr^ZigMan

Solaris is pretty neat to play around with. I haven't tried it on Sun hardware yet (I have a SunBlade 1000, but I haven't had time to get it up and running). I don't know if they're still doing it, but Sun was offering free copies of Solaris 10 DVDs, shipped to you completely free. If you search the forums, there's a link to the page from a while back. It takes a little while to get the DVDs. I believe you can download it as ISOs too (Solaris 10 is open source).

I'd like to get a copy of SunOS, which was the predecessor to Solaris. I have some old Sun boxes to run it on (traditionally, Sun hardware has been non-PC-compatible). Anyone know if that's been released as free?