Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XxthugstylezxX

When you have to turn to nix

14 posts in this topic

So i need help getting data off a windows xp pro machine. Its been taken over by teh virus! My parents let it get to the point of no return and i have to get about 400k of data off for them before we format. See'ing as the machine is locked down to where i cannot do anything even connect a simple usb device because its set in diagnostic mode through msconfig and now you cannot get to anything related to administrative tools. So it wont recognize usb devices, wont network, have no internets, wont burn cd's. So i turn to linux to help me out here.

Problem is that i am not good enough with nix to even begin to grab data and copy to my external hd. I have a live distro of nubuntu because its all i could find i have right now. Its booted but now how do i find the hd, how do i find files on the ntfs partition. How do i copy to my external hd. Its all so confusing. Damn you linux for making things over complex!

Please help. Im at wits end. All i want to do is format and call it a day.

I'm not sure about nubuntu. When I boot knoppix, it loads the ntfs kernel module and my hard drive will be mounted and an icon will be on the desktop. It will be listed as /dev/hda1 (if it is an IDE drive) or /dev/sda1 (if it is sata or scsi). I can then plugin a usb device (formated FAT) and copy info from my hard drive to the usb device.

try booting into Knoppix then open a terminal

try this

sudo -s <- makes you an admin for the duration

mkdir winfolder <-where your windowsxp stuff will appear ( hopefully )

mount winfolder /dev/hda1 <-if drives PATA

mount winfolder /dev/sda1 <-if drive is SATA

cd winfolder

dir

Now if i've not been on the crack pipe again this should get you access to the boxes drive, im not at my unix box at the moment so hopefully this works.

now you can use cp to copy all your files to usb disk. It should be mounted under /media/usbXXX

Hope this works for you.

Mark

I'm not sure about nubuntu. When I boot knoppix, it loads the ntfs kernel module and my hard drive will be mounted and an icon will be on the desktop. It will be listed as /dev/hda1 (if it is an IDE drive) or /dev/sda1 (if it is sata or scsi). I can then plugin a usb device (formated FAT) and copy info from my hard drive to the usb device.

This does work in Ubuntu as well.

If all else fails you could pull the hard drive out of your parents machine, and connect it to an open IDE or SATA (depending on what type of hard drive it is) slot in your computer. However I would only recommend this as a last resort, simply because booting your computer with a hard drive infested with viruses, spyware and who knows what else, some of that could get a foothold on your computer even after you've removed the drive...

Hope this helps,

SC(+)PE

dir on linux? I think you mean ls.

You also need to mount the usb drive as writable.

Realy? Dir always worked on ubuntu :huh: maybe Cannonical ln dir to ls for the windows converts.

netmask:~ stefan$ dir
-bash: dir: command not found
netmask:~ stefan$

Edited by stefanovich

I finally got it with ubuntu. I was trying other distro's like knoppix std, nubuntu, phlacks. Those are just the distro's i already had ready to go. I've got a whole new problem with it now though. Im willing to bet their boot sector is bad on their hd.

When trying to boot phlacks it kept comming up with bad boot sector errors and would never finish loading. Tried running DFT on it and it couldnt find the hd. I formatted the hd and after windows created the new nfts patition it came to a black screen that said there was a bad disk error. So im going to use a program to totally wipe the hd clean of anything set everything back to zero's and try again. If that still comes up bad then i'll just make them get a new hd.

I finally got it with ubuntu. I was trying other distro's like knoppix std, nubuntu, phlacks. Those are just the distro's i already had ready to go. I've got a whole new problem with it now though. Im willing to bet their boot sector is bad on their hd.

When trying to boot phlacks it kept comming up with bad boot sector errors and would never finish loading. Tried running DFT on it and it couldnt find the hd. I formatted the hd and after windows created the new nfts patition it came to a black screen that said there was a bad disk error. So im going to use a program to totally wipe the hd clean of anything set everything back to zero's and try again. If that still comes up bad then i'll just make them get a new hd.

I think it time to shit-can the fucker, i would not trust any data to a drive as buggered as this.

Before chucking the drive , run the utitilty for your HDD to see if it is truly farked or if it is just logical damage.

Boot off UBCD

http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/

They have the MFG test tools for all major HDD.

It also has dban to wipe it and partition tools as well.