epew23

USB cord hack

30 posts in this topic

Hey,

I like to tinker alot and try to get things to power off usb. Now when i cut open the cord i use only the reb and black (+, -) not that i take the others as nothing but i was wondering what they do. I had a feeling they were for takeing in info or sending. If that is the case can someone tell me which sends and which recives.

Hey,

I like to tinker alot and try to get things to power off usb. Now when i cut open the cord i use only the reb and black (+, -) not that i take the others as nothing but i was wondering what they do. I had a feeling they were for takeing in info or sending. If that is the case can someone tell me which sends and which recives.

Have you done anything yet with this? That would be fun to tinker with.

Hey,

Have you done anything yet with this? That would be fun to tinker with.

Yeah. I have made a flash light. I also hooked up another fan onto my computer that has an adjustable resitor on it. It allows me to controll the speed of the fan.

I hate that so many people abuse the USB standards... A device is supposed to use no more then 100 mA initially... later it can request higher power levels (if available).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_decoration (Nothing but annoying toys..) <_<

Why? do you hate it when people get other kinds of technology to do things outside of the standard? I think these types of things are pretty cool. Useless, but cool.

Why? do you hate it when people get other kinds of technology to do things outside of the standard?......

Yes I do, standards are there for a reason... breaking them helps nobody, intelligently improving them is fine.. ;)

USB decorations are useless.. case closed. -_-

If everyone thought like you then we wouldn't have the: [snip]Useless junk..[/snip]

Nope, They wouldn't exist... thus the world would become a much better place ;)

Why? do you hate it when people get other kinds of technology to do things outside of the standard?......

Yes I do, standards are there for a reason... breaking them helps nobody, intelligently improving them is fine.. ;)

USB decorations are useless.. case closed. -_-

Most retarded thing I've ever heard.

Breaking a standard is how you help it grow. Breaking the "normal" is how you change the normal.

Using what's available (the USB power) to do something it wasn't meant to do (USB christmas tree?) is the definition of hacking, or engineering, whichever you prefer.

I'm guessing you're one of those people who believes the constitution grants you freedom of speech; that you didn't have it before it said you did.

I'm guessing you're one of those people who believes the constitution grants you freedom of speech; that you didn't have it before it said you did.

Constitution that grants you freedom of speech? I'm not an American drone... that was included in the package ;)

I would say about 20% of usb device sold, only use the usb for power.

I would say about 20% of usb device sold, only use the usb for power.
There isn't anything wrong with using USB power.. but devices should at least follow defined standards ;)

Hey look photos!!!

DSCF2226.jpg

That is a sort of air conditioner. Ask if you want more.

DSCF2224.jpg

Flash Light

DSCF2223.jpg

Flash Light 2

It's a shame you use Dell.They use too much proprietary parts for their PC. I recommend Gateway.

Anyway, just by looking at your hand, I can tell you're are a guy.

Edited by bcrscahh198987

lol haha... but that flash light thing is kinda cool ill try to make one later ;)

It's a shame you use Dell.They use too much proprietary parts for their PC. I recommend Gateway.

My laptop is a gateway this desktop was the one i was asking for advice about. It is a complete custion in a dell case cause thatr was the chepest. Dell only makes my mother board and my graphics card. :lol: But yeah i have to say gatway is nice although i have a tower that i am going to put up on ebay that is an alienware. It isnt a grate computer. Whats your ideas on the Dell xps

lol haha... but that flash light thing is kinda cool ill try to make one later ;)

yeah it is simple

Take the bacl and red. connect the red to the bottom and the black to the side. Out in in a caseing you have a flash light.

Heres a video

so u just solder the positive and negative to the contacts in the flashlight? that sounds mad easy

btw, would this work with the PS2 usb?

dont see y not.

worked on my xbox 360

Dell XPS is even worse. Their parts for their computers are non-standard. You'll hate it.

Try out maybe Falcon Northwest(I'm not very sure about them). Or some gaming riggs from Gateway. http://www.gateway.com/systems/series/529596843.php

When a company uses non-standard parts, you might find a hard time trying to upgrade or repair a computer(I upgraded my Dell's computer's power supply then my whole computer fried up! you can even see the smoke!!!! They wanted me to buy their power supply from them only, that is the reason why they use non-standard parts).

Anyway, I hate Dell computers. Their computers are dust magnets.